[NFP] Ethiopia Pack Patch Notes Discussion

I like whats in the patch note. But i would like to see more improvements to the current game instead of adding even more content. A good bit to light on game balance and AI improvements. And it does not really specify what got improved in the second AI line.

They've been very clear that game balance and AI stuff (and reworks) will mostly be coming in the months when there are no new content drops. So this was pretty expected.

Ethiopia default colours and alternates:
1. Med Yellow / Dark Green
2. Dark Green / Med Yellow
3. Med Red / Med Yellow
4. Dark Green / Med Red (that's hard on the eyes).

Looks like colours from the Ethiopian flag, which was the base for the pan-African flags (red / yellow / green).
Did Arabia's default change I wonder since Med Yellow/ Dark Green at least was their default?

Did Arabia's default change I wonder since Med Yellow/ Dark Green at least was their default?
I think theirs might have been medium yellow / medium green, but I haven't used the standard colours for over 18 months now. I have Arabia as white with green.

So, Catherine and Teddy's new personas not only have separate agendas (as we knew already), but separate civilopedia entries too.

I'm testing it out and it seems that:
  • Both Catherines have fully-voiced civilopedia quotes
  • Only Rough Rider Teddy's civilopedia and agenda lines are voiced (he uses the original lines)
  • Black Queen Catherine's agenda lines are voiced (the original lines)
  • Neither Bull Moose Teddy's civilopedia nor agenda lines are voiced :(
For Magnificence Catherine and Bull Moose Teddy, they just use the generic denounce animations when you go against their agendas. I'm assuming they also use the generic kudos animations if you fulfill them.

I think theirs might have been medium yellow / medium green, but I haven't used the standard colours for over 18 months now. I have Arabia as white with green.
According to the wiki it is med yellow with dark green.

Interestingly the wiki shows Ethiopia with light green and dark green similar to the colors on the original announcement but since has apparently changed.

Here's the full list of Relics of the Void - there's 25 total. Check out #25! :mischief:
  1. Relic of the Devouring Angel
  2. Fungal Spore
  3. Fragment of Akkorokamui
  4. Black Goat's Horn
  5. Foundation Stone
  6. Relic of the Sightless Worm
  7. Shard of Yog-Sothoth
  8. Child of Azathoth
  9. Chorus of the Drowned
  10. Vessel of Nyarlathotep
  11. Rangda's Chalice
  12. Cup of the Star-Spawn
  13. The Singing Worm
  14. The Dream-Eater
  15. The Shrieking Flowers
  16. The Loveless Ones
  17. The Tome of Dagon
  18. The Book of Dead Names
  19. The Left-Hand Sutra
  20. Instructions for the Kumanthong
  21. Teachings of the Worm
  22. Memoirs of a Blind Astronomer
  23. A Journal of Next Year's Dreams
  24. Chronicle of Descent
  25. Hint Guide: Civilization II

You had way better luck that I have had. In the 3 games I have tried, one was completely in the dessert with no breathtaking tiles. Another was an archipelago, with oddly appealing rice paddies. The last was so unremarkable I just exited out if.

I think stripping Bull Moose of the +5 home continent bonus was a big malus. Rough Rider seems superior in every way.

Ironic that Bull Moose pretty much HAS to construct the Eiffel Tower.

You had way better luck that I have had. In the 3 games I have tried, one was completely in the dessert with no breathtaking tiles. Another was an archipelago, with oddly appealing rice paddies. The last was so unremarkable I just exited out if.

I think stripping Bull Moose of the +5 home continent bonus was a big malus. Rough Rider seems superior in every way.
I guess it's just the roll. From my (extremely limited, two turns played) perspective it seems super strong.

Last edited:
Happy for the different Teddys (Teddies?), America was already one of my favorite civs and it's cool to pick either a more militaristic or peaceful flavor to them. The Rough rider has also the trade route bonus which is cool.

My first Secret Societies game will be with Black Queen Catherine as she gets all the spy stuff, which might come handy..

Thoughts:

- Wow, I have got to try out President Teddy. Those bonuses are nuts. Not very interested in Rough Rider Teddy. It seems RR Teddy has basically no synergy with the film studio, either.
- Magnificence Catherine looks like she'll be a lot better at her intended culture victory than Black Queen Catherine.
- Ethiopia looks interesting. I like the unique improvement, although I fear I may have a conflict between Churches and National Parks when going for a culture victory (which seems to be their best route, although Religious looks good too).
- I don't like the envoy changes. This encourages city spam even more than usual. Diplomatic Quarter looks good, though.
- Secret Societies mode looks interesting. More itneresting than Apocalypse mode, for sure. I look forward to trying to make the societies synergize with certain civs. My only concern is acidentally discovering a soecity which isn't the one you want and being stuck with it, as it seems you don't get a choice. I hope the societies are reasonably balanced with each other, however. I don't want the choice to be "default to X, unless you are doing one very niche playstyle" as it seems to be with certain tiers of government plaza buildings and government styles.

Going to be honest, I'm very disappointed to see the new Diplomatic Quarter uses the same icon as the Government Plaza. Just seems lazy.

Also, it appearing at mathematics seems rather early to me, anyone else? It makes no sense for such a district to exist before the dawn of the medieval era, but then, neither does it make sense for World Congress to begin here either...

Going to be honest, I'm very disappointed to see the new Diplomatic Quarter uses the same icon as the Government Plaza. Just seems lazy.

Also, it appearing at mathematics seems rather early to me, anyone else? It makes no sense for such a district to exist before the dawn of the medieval era, but then, neither does it make sense for World Congress to begin here either...

Mathematics, huh. I was sure it would be on the civics tree, probably at Diplomatic Service (which would admittedly be too late for the early tier buildings)

So I fire up my first post-bullmoose game and first roll get this:
Spoiler :

So improving the marble is an interesting dilemma here (maybe not, just don't improve it):

If you improve it, quarry gives you +1 production, and -1 appeal to adjacent tiles, which will make the appeal of your city center and the tile to its left go down from 4 to 3, thus removing 4 culture 4 science from your tiles. (Similarly building a mine near your capital will remove 2 culture 2 science.)

Moral of the story? As Bull Moose Teddy, pray for camp or plantation luxuries. It will be unfortunate to have Amber, Diamonds, Gypsum, Jade, Marble, Mercury, Salt, Silver on your continents.

Last edited:
So improving the marble is an interesting dilemma here (maybe not, just don't improve it):

If you improve it, quarry gives you +1 production, and -1 appeal to adjacent tiles, which will make the appeal of your city center and the tile to its left go down from 4 to 3, thus removing 4 culture 4 science from your tiles. (Similarly building a mine near your capital will remove 2 culture 2 science.)

Moral of the story? As Bull Moose Teddy, pray for camp or plantation luxuries.
Right now I'm thinking to improve the one on the coast and leave the other one be. I could change my mind though.

Thoughts:

- Wow, I have got to try out President Teddy. Those bonuses are nuts. Not very interested in Rough Rider Teddy. It seems RR Teddy has basically no synergy with the film studio, either.
- Magnificence Catherine looks like she'll be a lot better at her intended culture victory than Black Queen Catherine.
- Ethiopia looks interesting. I like the unique improvement, although I fear I may have a conflict between Churches and National Parks when going for a culture victory (which seems to be their best route, although Religious looks good too).
- I don't like the envoy changes. This encourages city spam even more than usual. Diplomatic Quarter looks good, though.
- Secret Societies mode looks interesting. More itneresting than Apocalypse mode, for sure. I look forward to trying to make the societies synergize with certain civs. My only concern is acidentally discovering a soecity which isn't the one you want and being stuck with it, as it seems you don't get a choice. I hope the societies are reasonably balanced with each other, however. I don't want the choice to be "default to X, unless you are doing one very niche playstyle" as it seems to be with certain tiers of government plaza buildings and government styles.

RR Teddy is kinda all over the place. He has combat bonuses, Diplo bonuses, cultural bonuses. I guess he's strongest for Diplomacy.

Top Bottom