[NFP] Ethiopia Pack Patch Notes Discussion

I realize most leaders don't have two unique units, I was simply stating they should balance the two Roosevelt's. Either give both Roosevelt's two unique units, or give them each one. Its unbalanced to say one Teedy can have two uniques, while the other Teddy only gets to have one.

Why? England has two leaders. Victoria has the Redcoat and Eleanor has nothing. Why should the American civilization be different? If Eleanor has one, well we need 2 additional unique unit for Catherine, a non-warmonger, even it is not need. Even if we give her something non-military like "Lady in waiting" for Spy replacement for the Black Queen, and an other one for the Magnificent, this raise the question further. This is endless: balance isn't a question of how much the ability gives (here a unique untis), but how good the ability is (Bull Moose seems pretty strong, no need of UU)

Last edited:
Bull Moose Tedyy is the politician version of Teddy Roosevelt, and Roosevelt the Politician was a big supporter of having a Robust Navy (he also served as assistant secretary of the Navy), hence my suggestion of a Naval unit like an early Connecticut Class Battleship.
I know he was a big supporter of the navy. Bull Moose Teddy in game has nothing to do with navy or combat though is what I'm saying.
They specifically wanted to separate Teddy into one focusing on military and diplomacy, then Bull Moose on environmentalism and tourism. If anything he needs a non combat UU that can make a national park like Canada.

I realize most leaders don't have two unique units, I was simply stating they should balance the two Roosevelt's. Either give both Roosevelt's two unique units, or give them each one. Its unbalanced to say one Teedy can have two uniques, while the other Teddy only gets to have one.

You can have balance between both versions without both having Unique Units. It's just a little harder. Bull Moose Teddy can be very powerful, but he's very map dependent.

Rough Rider Teddy + Owls of Minerva is ridiculous. You get two envoys every time you send a trade route to a CS, then if you get just two other envoys there, you already got 6 envoys. Any CS in range of my trade routes are guaranteed to be mine quite early. I'll probably end this game sitting on a pile of unused envoys.

Well, my concern is that choices make things interesting. Over the long-term, all these freebie governor promotions detract from having to make tough choices.

And there seems to be no double-edge here. There's no risk-to-reward, just reward. There's no investment to get into a society because we get in my just doing stuff we'd be doing anyways.
That seems to be the route they are going. Completely buffing all the yields where you just get insane numbers across the board. I am hoping some of the balance changes tame them a bit but I am not holding my breath.

Yes, there is a base percentage chance that can be modded (e.g. You have a 70% chance to be invited to join the Voidsingers when a goody hut is entered.) However, the four triggers are hardcoded, but they could be switched around among the four SSs if you wanted.

The other percentages are:
80% chance for Owls of Minerva when discovering a CS.
100% chance for Hermetic Order when discovering a NW.
70% chance for Sanguine Pact when entering a Barb camp.

Wow. You can get seriously screwed on Voidsingers.

In case its not obvious - if you meet a secret society but don't join, and then meet another, and then go to your governor screen and only see the first one -

you can now scroll the governor screen at the bottom or with a mouse wheel. The new choices are just displayed at the end.

In case its not obvious - if you meet a secret society but don't join, and then meet another, and then go to your governor screen and only see the first one -

you can now scroll the governor screen at the bottom or with a mouse wheel. The new choices are just displayed at the end.

My God Sostratus. You are like a man that can See in a world of the Blind!

Thanks!

I’m loving Secret Societies. I think they’d be more fun in multiplayer though, where humans might better recognize optimal society paring. Currently playing Scotland with hermetic order and just got the third rank. And yeah... leylines are now worth 9 science, 4 production, and 3 gold. Can’t wait to see what they’re worth at the end.

Discovering a new SS gives you a governor promotion which you don't have to spend to join! You are free to spend it on early Ping or Magnus or Reyna if you wish...

This absolutely breaks the early game if you get lucky. Teddy's new persona with Reyna and earth goddess for example...

I didn't expect any mayor fix or deep change out of the free patches, where the devs said balance changes will be an important focus, so I will not complain about that here.

Maybe it will follow that pattern in the future, but for the Maya/GC release and the following free June patch it was inverted for my taste - the free May patch accompanying the DLC felt a lot heavier than the June one.

Wow. You can get seriously screwed on Voidsingers.

In my last game, I literally did not join them until turn 150ish. I was tucked away in a peninsula on a continents map, so goody huts were really hard to come by.

Not sure if it has do anything with the "AI improvements" of this patch (or if this was possible before, can't remember at least)…

Spoiler :

AIRessourceExchange.jpg

As someone who constantly points out what is broken with ressource trading, I quite like what the AI is doing here - a fair exchange of ressources in a useful quantity which helps both sides. I really hope that I will be continued to be surprised by better deal logics when the game progresses...

EDIT: And another one - IIRC those GpT demands were always 2 GpT in the past - now Trajan charges suddenly more...
Spoiler :

IncreasedDemand.jpg

...and I'm actually accepting this times, as he is my neighbour, has killed my CS ally Yerewan and is already mad one me because of having the wrong secert society.

Last edited:
Kongo absolutely loves the voidsingers....
The old god obelisk means they always have relic slots, which means Mt. St. Michel is absolutely broken (since Kongo gets limitless apostles for "free")... first time I've actually depleted the normal relics in the game. Their new cities get going extremely quickly with a relic in the city center.

Void relics also work with Nkisi, get Basil's cathedral bonus, and provide 50% (12 rather than 8) more tourism than normal relics. Absolutely nuts if the game goes into industrial.

Not sure if it has do anything with the "AI improvements" of this patch (or if this was possible before, can't remember at least)…

As someone who constantly points out what is broken with ressource trading, I quite like what the AI is doing here - a fair exchange of ressources in a useful quantity which helps both sides. I really hope that I will be continued to be surprised by better deal logics when the game progresses...

EDIT: And another one - IIRC those GpT demands were always 2 GpT in the past - now Trajan charges suddenly more...

...and I'm actually accepting this times, as he is my neighbour, has killed my CS ally Yerewan and is already mad one me because of having the wrong secert society.
The trading of strategic resources, DF etc. was corrected already in the May patch, I noticed no further changes in this respect so far.

In principle, I can understand why the secret societies are theoretically balanced to add to the game, because everyone gets to be part of one. In practice, I am definitely feeling humans have a much easier time leveraging all their abilities together. Still fun though.

It definitely wasn't obvious for me at first. I'm glad I asked on the forum first before I restarted my game. :lol:

Top Bottom