Ethnic Diversity (Development Step: postponed to Civ7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you Really wish to help, then i Would also Need a researcher.
I also enjoy Unit diversity a lot. Thats why i am working on it :)

Yeah...the Germans. Burma and the germans have still no UU. The Landsknecht is basically a Good Idea, but i fear it fit Not well with the ancient Setting of the mod.
But the germanic warband swordsman sounds interesting. Feel free to pm me if you have more Ideas, or if you Want to help with researching :)

Update on the progress of the mod: I took a break the last weeks, but now i am back and high motivated to continue to work first on the Ethnic Diversity work-Step 1, hope i will complete this first step for all civs until fall 2019. in the meantime :

this is the list of civilizations and leaders for the mod.

If you wonder „who is Shirotora Kenshin“ , yeah...this will be a special fantasy leader in my mod project. :D

if you guys got suggestions regarding the civs or leaders, feel free to tell me them :)

once the work step 1 for Ethnic Diversity is done, things will go faster and i hope i got a first playable version released in the beginning of 2020.

In germany, we got a wisdom for that : „whatever takes you a lot of time, that will be finally good“ or something like that.

And the folowing is for someone from Discord: i am not dead, my friend, i am completely alive! And i will do my thang, even all alone.

Regards,
Ryu

8CD65F40-C53C-43B7-BCC1-E50FD5936381.png
E5DCE775-8493-4075-B6DB-76A3AED8E312.png

Definitely following this, ethnic diversity is a must for Civ for me, thankyou for developing and creating this mod ShiroToraRyu.

Thanks for being interested in the mod! :) thats good to hear.
just keep in mind that Ethnic Diversity, as a whole will take time, til its completed for all of the 35 civs. With fall 2019 i meant only work step 1 for Ethnic Diversity. and then, after step 1 of the work is completed, the actual development can begin, which will take time too of course. but the good news is, that the mod is still in development

Still working on this I hope..so looking forward to it...

:)

Yepp, i make good progress the last weeks :)
but dont forget, its a huge project, and will take me a lot of time. Dont expect a first version soon please, but i appreciate that you ask for the progress :)

I Was working on another project beside RoE and ED the last couple of weeks.
And i need the opinions of the community. It is a Wildlife Mod for Civ6. Wild Animals spawn in the wilderness. Now i would like to know your opinions, Ladies and Gentlemen in terms of the combat strengths and Movement Points, also in the Spawning Chances of the Animals. Is Unit A too strong? Unit B too weak? Should Unit C spawn not so often or even more often then i currently plan? And shouldnt Unit D be able to move 3 tiles per turn? Thats things i would like to know what you think :)

Here are the list of animals with all information needed.

48455CEB-367B-49F9-AE81-46398617495F.png

5764C017-1DCD-4F67-8F43-93461B827DC5.png

920B375D-A011-4542-BA3A-5CE0112E1859.png

9EA31B0E-A37B-42E5-B929-F22B1BC65EFD.png

That's an awful lot of animals you plan to have spawning on the maps! And then you have some associated with certain continents that may not be represented in a typical Civ map (e.g. any map not based on Earth's geography).

If we're going to have wild animals spawning and roaming the map, I would narrow it down to a smaller number of species that would spawn in certain terrain types. For example, you could have:

* Wolves or bears spawning in woods.
* Polar bears in tundra.
* Lions in plains or grasslands.
* Coyotes in deserts.
* Tigers or jaguars in rainforests.
* Crocodiles in marshes and alongside rivers.
* Sharks and orcas in the ocean.

hey, thanks for the feedback! :)

i am aware thats a lot of animals, but because of that the spawning chances are very very very low. the chances of spawning are all per one turn here. so a wolf for example have a chance of 25% per turn to spawn, a White Tiger only 5%. In my tests this wasnt too much animal spawning, but of course i will test again and lower the amount of animals as needed.

As for the continents, you are right, but this was fully intended, i only plan to have them spawn on earth map for now. sorry for that, but as i for one only playing earth maps, i even dont know what the other types of continents actually are. I would add support for more maps, but for this i would need the help of the community...as for the YNAEMP-earth maps, i will add support later, but on the day of release, only support for the vanilla earth map will happen.

as for the suggestions with animals spawning in certain terrain types, this is a feature which is already implemented.

Wolves and Bears already spawning in woods, Polar Bears on Snow tiles. Everything as you mentioned actually, so thats a great idea i think, which is already implemented.

What do you think about combat strengths and movement points?

Great work on this - looking forward to see these animals in the game.

I think it would make sense if the Tiger was as strong as the Lion.

Manta Rays aren't actually dangerous to humans at all so they are a bit weird.

Otherwise these strengths seem mostly reasonable. I guess the idea is that a Swordsman is stronger than any Wild Animal.

Arguably the Hippo should be deadlier than the Lion as that is true in real life.

Also you should give certain creatures e.g. Hippos, Crocs and Caimans no penalty for crossing rivers like the Amphibious promotion.

As for the continents, you are right, but this was fully intended, i only plan to have them spawn on earth map for now. sorry for that, but as i for one only playing earth maps, i even dont know what the other types of continents actually are. I would add support for more maps, but for this i would need the help of the community...as for the YNAEMP-earth maps, i will add support later, but on the day of release, only support for the vanilla earth map will happen.

You should definitely try to support randomly generated maps as I think more people play those than static maps.

Hey Deliverator, thanks for the feedback. :)

Tiger as strong as the lion...i would normally fully agree. But the Tiger „unit“ got only 1 unit member, while the Lion got 4. I thought this would be realistic, as the Tiger is a solitary animal, while the Lion have the full pack of lions behind them...which of course makes the Lion stronger. This was at least the idea behind the decision to give the Tiger just one single unit member and lower combat strength.

Jaguar, Leopard and similar animals are got only one single member too, because they are solitary animals too.

Same reason with the Hippo and the Lion. Hippo got just one single Unit Member, but in this case because of the huge size of the Hippo. But i could give the Hippo a second member and make them stronger than Lions.

You are entirely right with the Swordsman hehe (y)

and yes i think i will try to give no penalty for crossing rivers for the crocs etc. thats a great idea :)

for the maps...i will think about it, thats all i can say yet.

And for the Manta...i know, they are peaceful, but its the same as for the Kraken...they are not really dangerous to human, but i know in the past centuries there was stories about them, and Sailors had fear for Manta Rays, as well as for Kraken animals. So i am unsure, while i for one would like to have them in the game

Last edited:
I love the idea of the Wildlife mod. Sounds amazing and quite interesting! We will be able to see Romans hunting Lions in Europe, as it happened in the Real World (TM). :D

Thanks a lot for all your work, @ShiroToraRyu!

I Was working on another project beside RoE and ED the last couple of weeks.
And i need the opinions of the community. It is a Wildlife Mod for Civ6. Wild Animals spawn in the wilderness. Now i would like to know your opinions, Ladies and Gentlemen in terms of the combat strengths and Movement Points, also in the Spawning Chances of the Animals. Is Unit A too strong? Unit B too weak? Should Unit C spawn not so often or even more often then i currently plan? And shouldnt Unit D be able to move 3 tiles per turn? Thats things i would like to know what you think :)

Here are the list of animals with all information needed.

View attachment 524246

View attachment 524247

View attachment 524248

View attachment 524249
Great plan.

For land animals, I'd make them weaker with the ability to sometime retreat when attacked, but I'm not sure if it's possible with the current modifiers.

But even without the ability to retreat, I'd suggest to maybe spawn them more frequently, but weaker: IMO it's not a problem if the animal unit die in the attack, just doing a bit of damage would be enough for their purpose.

If possible I'd also only make some of them able to attack military units (ie packs), the other would be a nuisance only for civilians (send them back to cities when attacked), and if it was possible, I'd give them abilities to pillage only specific improvements (like those over animals resources)

For sea animals, I'd also make them weaker with being only able to attack wounded units, except for the kraken.

Great plan.

For land animals, I'd make them weaker with the ability to sometime retreat when attacked, but I'm not sure if it's possible with the current modifiers.

But even without the ability to retreat, I'd suggest to maybe spawn them more frequently, but weaker: IMO it's not a problem if the animal unit die in the attack, just doing a bit of damage would be enough for their purpose.

If possible I'd also only make some of them able to attack military units (ie packs), the other would be a nuisance only for civilians (send them back to cities when attacked), and if it was possible, I'd give them abilities to pillage only specific improvements (like those over animals resources)

For sea animals, I'd also make them weaker with being only able to attack wounded units, except for the kraken.

thats some really interesting ideas :)
i will think about your suggestions and if i think thats something i want for the mod too...then i will look if those things are possible to implement. in any way, Thanks for this feedback, Gedemon.

I love the idea of the Wildlife mod. Sounds amazing and quite interesting! We will be able to see Romans hunting Lions in Europe, as it happened in the Real World (TM). :D

Thanks a lot for all your work, @ShiroToraRyu!

Thanks :) but i am unsure if Lions will spawn in Europe. Currently they only spawn in Africa.

Thanks :) but i am unsure if Lions will spawn in Europe. Currently they only spawn in Africa.

That's all right; just remember there were wild lions in Europe well into the 4th century AD...
If you decide against having lions spawn in Europe... what about Aurochs? They survived in the wild until the 16th and were well known by the Roman and other ancient peoples... :D

i can tell you that i will test the Lions in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom