Etiquette of Multi Player?

Socially, just regular politeness as far as I can tell. Some more technical things are -
- you have to play very fast, obviously, especially during war.
- estimate or negotiate the length of the game and don't drop out (it happens a lot, so much so that I think some people might phrase this as "try not to drop out" or whatever).
- use a reliable network connection (problems happen a lot) (I use a regular DSL and it seems fine, but I don't know whether it would be OK for hosting games).
- turn off combat animations.
- some people suggest low-res graphics settings, but I think that depends on your computer.
- if you need to go to the bathroom or something you'll probably have to do it while the game is running, like: play a fast turn, broadcast "brb", hit enter, run and do your thing, broadcast "back", play another fast turn and hit enter; if you were gone long enough and the turn timer ran out, you might have missed a turn.
- games in a ladder league will imply additional ettiquette, like don't drop out no matter what - but I haven't played any
- in games specified as being in the cton style, players are not supposed to diplome - but I haven't played any

Cton is a style of play that was thought up in the C3C days to counter the problem that developed in ffa games of players just getting hit by 3,4 or 5 v1 situations. It banned contact & private chat so everyone was on their own with a fairer chance of competing. In civ 4 it's been added to the options in the form of the always war setting. It means you get no diplomacy but you can be sure your game isn't ruined before it begins by a gang bang.
Named for it's originator.

I would recommend joining the Civ4 Ladder:

http://www.myleague.com/civ4players/

Honestly I don't know how people can stand playing the open games found in the GameSpy lobby. Players constantly quitting being the main problem. The ladder is a league with some basic rules governing MP games; the three biggest changes you'll see between open MP games and Ladder MP games are:

* A lot less quitting (and quitters have to report loss to all, so even if they quit you still win!).
* Games are on a turn limit (so there is actually an end to a game, with winners and losers).
* Games are played with the Always War setting on (you will see a lot of choking).

Also, for any MP game, it is courteous to turn on Quick Combat and Stack Attack, while disabling Combat Animations. Finally, a lot of jerks will pressure you to "end your turn" -- that's what the turn timer is for. Just because you have 3 cities and bunch of units to move around, and they only have their first city and first Warrior doesn't give them the right to yell at you! Don't end your turn until you're ready! :)

Finally, a lot of jerks will pressure you to "end your turn" -- that's what the turn timer is for. Just because you have 3 cities and bunch of units to move around, and they only have their first city and first Warrior doesn't give them the right to yell at you! Don't end your turn until you're ready! :)
Good points all by MookieNJ. The one exception is if someone says, "hit enter, Hogs!" You'd better end your turn, AND FAST!

Hi all, I am new to the forums.

I got a question and this seemed like the perfect spot.

If trying to play multiplayer via the GS lobby, should I get used to fast as hell games and quiters?

It has been a frustrating few days in my introduction to multiplayer Civ.

Thanks.
Epic

If trying to play multiplayer via the GS lobby, should I get used to fast as hell games and quiters?

It has been a frustrating few days in my introduction to multiplayer Civ.

If you are looking for higher quality MP games, you should join the Civ4 MP ladder:

http://www.myleague.com/civ4players/

Ladder players generally do not quit, so Ladder games aren't over as soon one player quits after having his Worker stolen or when someone else beats him to the Oracle :).

It's a different style of Civ for sure, but I believe one can only beat up on the AI for so long until they are ready for a new challenge!

Top Bottom