Eurasia in War

BoxerGen, nice to hear that I have inspired someone :) I don't mind if you use the same layout. I used to do maps with photoshop too but I found it too hard for big maps.

I found my inspiration to write this story again when I was reading a book about WW2 (Antory Beevor is a very good author, and a big inspiration for me) :)

Total War

In Berlin Bismarck and other German leaders were relieved when the English offensive was finally stopped.This had been a wake up call for the leaders to realise just how strong enemy they were facing. Had the front collapsed totally in the West, the German homesoil would have been in real danger. But the danger wasn’t over yet, after the past events Lödöse had become kind of a bulge in the centre and possessed a real threat to Stuttgart, one of the biggest cities in German Empire. Bismarck demanded that this bulge should be dealt with to minimize the threat of attack against Stuttgart and Nidaros. Some Generals argued that the task of taking Lödöse and Roskilde was impossible due to the fact that German army was greatly weakened in the past two months. But Bismarck was adamant and he ordered imidiate preparations for a new offensive in the centre sector. There was, in fact, some sense in Bismarcks plan. If Lödöse could be taken it would leave Germans in a favourable defence position against coming attacks. This was because west of Lödöse all the way to the coast run unsurpasable Harsch Mountains. This mountain range offered a natural defence line and only few mountain passes.

Situation on 1.1.1924

Lödöse was left untouched on purpose during the operation Sinober. It had had nearly as strong garrison as Jelling and it had not been strategically important. This coming offensive was the first major operation since the beginning of Rootenrot. The past two major German campaigns had both had some decisive advantage, but this time they had nothing. The Vikings were well aware that the Germans would launch an offensive in the near future and they were well prepared. New weaponry and other aide were received from the Chinese. They were also aware what route the Germans would use because the surrounding terrain left only few choises.

To meet the Bismarcks demands, Field Marshall Müller proposed a plan called operation Matilda. To make this plan work a new army group, called Army Group Centre, had to be put together in Stuttgart. Although Bismarck demanded imidiate action, it would take over a month before the new troops were ready. Old veterans of the Eastern front were also called to arms and would form another group to strike from Uppsala towards Lödöse. They were led by a veteran General Hindenbrau. The first goal was to capture the hills north of Lödöse and then strike the city from North and East. Hindenbraus army had to move trough a dense forest of Skagerak between Uppsala and Lödöse and this greatly conserned him because he was afraid that he could not put his fast cavalry troops in full use.

After many delays and troubles the operation Matilda was finally launched on 12th of February 1924. First time in the war the generals themselves went to battle without confidence that they could delivere a victory. Bismarck himself was not sure too, but he desperately needed a victory to keep the initiative in his hands.

The first days of the operation went well and both armies advanced according to plan. The Army Group Centre took the hills north of Lödöse as planned on 16th of February and begun preparations to assault the city. The city was bombarded heavily by the German artillery during the next few days and this started to bring hope that the city would be run over easily. In the East Hindenbrau had run into trouble, as he had feared the forest and bad roads were slowing his troops. This would be critical because the attack against Lödöse could not be fully launched without Hindenbraus cavalry.

Operation Matilda

On 20th of February everything changed. German high command received an urgent message from intelligence batalion in Smolensk. German intelligence had captured a secret message from Beijing to Lödöse which indigated that a major Chinese force was on its way to Lödöse and would arrive there in matter of days. This caused deep conserns in Berlin because this was the one thing they had feared all the time. Bismarck ordered that Lödöse had to be taken in the next two days before Chinese could turn it into a fortress.

Field Marshall Müller ordered an all out attack against Lödöse on the afternoon of 20th even knowing that Hindenbrau could not make it to take part in the fighting. The assault to the city was confronted with heavy resistance and obviously the bombardment had not done the damage it was believed to have done. At the end of day the battles begun to silence but the city was still in Viking hands. The next day saw more fighting but still the Germans couldn’t make the desicieve breaktrough. Without Hindenbraus cavalry flanking from the side Müller knew he had little chances of taking the city.

On the morning of 22nd first Chinese divisions started to pour in the city. This quikly changed the balance of the battle and Germans were now outnumbered. Just as Müller had sensed cracks to appear in the Viking defence line he had to call the assault off. He ordered his troops to withdraw back to the hills North of Lödöse. Hindenbrau had finally reached his goal East of Lödöse but he was now given a new order. He was to attack Chinese troops South of Lödöse to buy some time for the troops in the North to withdraw and prepare defencive positions.

When Hindenbrau engaged the enemy South of Lödöse he was thrown back imediately by strong Chinese infantry divisions. He informed the headquaters that the Chinese force was overwhelming and he had to make an immediate withdrawal to North. Up North Army Group Centre was given a task to keep the defence line in the hills, but by dusk fall it was clear that the Chinese were about to encircle the hills from East and West. This caused panic in German forces and immediate withdrawal was issued. Chinese had concentrated some 40 divisions of infantry in the area where Germans could only put some 15 division of exhausted men against them. General Hindenbrau continued his withdrawal to North and he was given an order to destroy the roads behind him to slow the enemy down.

Chinese advance and German withdrawal.

By morning of 23rd the German withdrawal had become an uncotrolled dash toward the German border. The whole frontline East of Harsch Mountains had now totally colapsed. Bismarck had feared that this day would come and now he had to face the fact that the next battles would be fought on German homesoil and there was no guarantee that the Chinese could be stopped. He held a speech in Berlin where he issued that due to the "misfortune of the past days" the whole nation should prepare itself for a total war if the German Empire was to survive.

heh, thanks all :) Maybe I should include some update in the next part what was happening in France at that time :) I must admit that I was little bit disapointed in Napoleons contribution to the war. I think there will be three more parts in this story, so we are half way there :)

I pretty much know what the next part will include but I havent written it yet. I have some school work to do now so it may take a while before I can write the next part. Be patient, it will come :)

Ilu your my hero...

lol no not in that way

If you make this into a series.. well.. well ill be lost for words... keep up the good stuff

kool...... finally a game report that has blended realism and is not too story like or is treated like a chore.

GJ

Or tries to throw in unnecessary humour, that is usually what annoys me most about a lot of these stories.

If yar dont like it mate dont need to state your views... no one asked ya to... this guy is doing a great service to us all... entertaining us.. if you are prepared to criticize one make sure you can do better

- no hard feelings but just give the guy a break..

I didn't say it was bad, would I still be reading it if I didn't like it?

War of Attrition

In Beijing Mao Zedong was carefully studying the situation of the frontline. He was happy that finally his “Grand Plan” had been put into action. Six months ago when Germans launched their campaign against Russia Mao had been very concerned. The might of the German army had seemed unmatchable. But now after the five party treaties in Shanghai and after the successful operations of English forces in the Western front the situation seemed like a perfect chance to gain considerable power in the Central Eurasia. Mao was sure that if he could defeat the Germans in the following months he could elevate China as the greatest power in the world.

To make his fantasy come true Mao had himself planned the offensive against German Empire. He called it as the “Grand Plan”. His plan was to wage a war of attrition against the German forces. He was sure that with the overwhelming numerical superiority, Chinese forces could deplete German armies and reserves. Some Chinese generals were opposing the plan because it used tactics wich were already obsolete. After carefully studying the two German campaigns, the Chinese generals were convinced that they too should use their forces in a same way, finding the weak spots on the defence line and pushing deep in the enemy territory with fast cavalry troops. But Mao was so obsessed with his plan, to destroy the whole German army in one big battle, that he didn’t take any criticism and so the plan went ahead.

The Grand Plan was initially planned to begin on 16th of January but the movement of troops through Russia and keeping it all secret proved to take one extra month. The German offensive launched on 12th of February clearly signaled that the Grand Plan had been exposed to Germans but this didn’t concern Mao anymore because he was sure of his victory.

In Berlin the general mood was gloomy. Some people still couldn’t believe that the enemy was now closing on German borders and those who did where angry and felt betrayed by their leaders. Bismarck had promised to erect the German Empire in to its old glory but now it seemed that his actions were driving it into a final destruction. Bismarck had also promised peace after the “enemies of German Empire” had been dealt with but now the peace seemed like a distant dream. Even if the enemy could be stopped, there seemed not to be any imidiate end for the war.

Bismarck had realised how dangerous it was if the German people lost their faith in the leaders. Everything would then collapse and Bismarck’s dream of ruling the Central Eurasia would be forever lost. He planned a smart propaganda campaign where he accused Western Powers for a conspiracy against the German people long before the war had even broke out. He also stated that German Empire had just done what was nessesary to prevent annihilation of the German people. In other words he made it all sound like the campaigns of the last year where just defensive operations. This propaganda seemed to make some difference and the people’s will to defend the fatherland somewhat rose during the gloomy days of February.

Before February German military production hadn’t much efected the other production but by the end of February government issued new war regulations that gave priority for making rifles, ammunition, artillery and other military equipment. Many factories were now converted to produce military equipment and in the South all rebuilding efforts in Viking cities were stopped to free workers to produce war machines.

On 25th of February Chinese first army under the command of General Liu reached the German-Viking border. On his right side, some 100 km to East, Chinese second army was also making good progress towards the border in North. Even more to the East Chinese third army of General Xiaoping had turned east to cut the main roads and railways between Nidaros and Stuttgart. Chinese first and second armies were to push North through an area called Seelow Plateau. The plateau continued over 100km to North all the way to Stuttgart and was mostly just fields used for farming. This would be easy to cross as there were no natural defence positions. On 27th Chinese first and second armies launched the assault to Seelow Plateau and Germans made no effective resistance. It seemed that Stuttgart could be reached in few days. In the East General Hindebrau had organized the last effort to halt the Chinese right wing by ordering his troops to take defensive positions in the hills West of Skagerak Forest. But in the morning of 26th Chinese third army easily crushed the German defensive positions and Hindenbrau had to continue his withdrawal towards Nidaros.

Chinese advance 23.2 – 27.2

On 25th of February Bismarck released Field Marshall Müller from the command of the Army Group Centre and replased him with Field Marshall Weinkell. Weinkell, who had organized the defence of Smolensk, was known for his cruel and extreme means when the situation was at its worse. He quikly ordered harsh sanctions to all who did not obey their superior commanders and in few days the chaotic withdrawal calmed down. Bismarck had made it clear for Weinkell that Stuttgart can not fall and all else was irrelevant.

Weinkell reorganized the defence very near the city because Seelow Plateau offered little natural fortifications. He also summoned more troops from the Nidaros region to Stuttgart and sent the remaining reserves from Uppsala to Nidaros. This was huge gamble as Uppsala was left virtually with no defence. No troops could be sent from the western front of Smolensk and Vladivostok so this was all that Weinkell had.

One of the main problems for the Germans was the railway between Stuttgart and Nidaros, this lifeline between the two cities was crucial when organizing a flexible defence. If the railway would be cut the troops would have to travel via Cologne and Köln, a 1000 km extra journey. So in many ways the situation was very grave for the Germans.

The 30th of February saw the Chinese forces capturing positions only 30km from Stuttgart. In the East Hindenbrau had to withdraw all the way to Nidaros where he could finally have some artillery support for his cavalry. Some of his troops were sent to Stuttgart on Weinkells orders and then on 1st of March the railway between Stuttgart and Nidaros was captured by the Chinese. The lifeline was no broken and Hindenbrau would have to survive with the troops left to him, no imidiate reinforcement were in sight. In Stuttgart the situation was somewhat better due to the better transportation routes and fresh troops but the city was also facing the bulk of the Chinese forces.

General Xiaoping, the commander of the Chinese third army, was beginning his final push towards Nidaros which now lay only some 150km to East. But on morning of 3rd of March he received direct orders from Beijing to send most of his troops to North to support first and second army. Xiaoping strongly opposed the order as he had reliable information that Nidaros was weakly defended and that the rest of the southern regions would be easily taken after Nidaros had fallen. But the orders came direclty from Mao who had changed the plan and wanted more troops to strike Stuttgart, He was so obsessed with destroying the German army that the capturing of vast areas in the South was irrelevant.

Both leaders were now firmly focusing on Stuttgart and some of the best divisions of the both armies were concentrated there. Although the Chinese enjoyed great numerical superiority, the Germans also had substansial forces in the city reinforced with massive amounts of artillery and suplies. As the opposing forces inevitably came closer and closer, the biggest and the most decive battle in the whole war started to unfold itself.

Situation on 5th of March

Must...Have...More

BTW Great story. The maps make it much easier to understand

Top Bottom