European Middle Ages Mod Resurrection

Head Serf

Emperor
European Middle Ages Mod Resurrection
Version 0.56 for Civ4 Vanilla 1.61 Not recommended for Macintosh computers

The main forum for this project can be found here. Please make comments at that public forum.

The European Middle Ages team proudly presents our mod focusing on the European Middle Ages, from approximately 500 to 1500 AD. Most aspects of the game have been changed or redone, including a new tech tree, a new civic system, new units, new promotions, new traits, new buildings, new wonders, and several new resources. There is also a highly reccomended medieval music add-on, which definately adds to the medieval feel.

This mod, along with being playable on random maps, is very useable as a kind of "umbrella" mod serving as the base for a whole range of historical scenarios. Currently included with the mod is a standard scenario with a map of Europe and the Near East (55 by 45) and another map of the same area, but larger, (80 by 64). Several scenario makers also have made scenarios for use with the mod, including Craig_Sutter's The Viking Age, HolyOne's The Crusades and my own The Dark Ages.

For this mod we will try to eventually make available enough assets such as flags, civ leaders, and civilizations, so that every possible medieval scenario can be made.

Here's the story of how the mod has gotten to the point it has, and why it is call European Middle Ages Mod Resurrection.
Spoiler :
The mod started out in a thread as an idea which several people, including hr_oskar and Laurino thought through the ideas of what would eventually become this mod. hr_oskar soon released his mod, and several people, including hr_oskar, Drtad, and myself began helping him to create the mod. hr_oskar did all of the modding himself, and slowly put out new versions of his mod. However, something happened to hr_oskar and the last time he posted was on Oct 3. Myself, Craig_Sutter, and Drtad decided after a month that it was time to resurrect the old mod. We have been working on the mod for several weeks and version 0.4 is finally ready!

Version 0.56 is out as of April 2! Click here for the download page.
The music add-on can be found here.

Remember, first load the mod before you start the main scenario, otherwise, it will have problems.

To install the music add-on, just copy the folder "sound" and paste it into your assets folder. If you've already downloaded an older version, you can use the sound files from those in the new version also.

Thanks to Craig_Sutter for extensive testing, the new GameSpeedInfos.XML, the entire naval unit system, his ideas, many city lists, and many other things.
Thanks to Drtad for extensive testing, city lists, historical research, help with Armenian Great People, hosting the new file, and many other things.
Thanks to lshockley for putting together comprehensive lists for all of the Great People, along with advice on how to get the great people to be more logical in-game, and for doing basically the entire building and wonder system, and a lot of the buttons, along with help in other things.
Thanks to Broken_Hawk for many city lists and many other things.
Thanks to Gordon Farrel for his buttons and many other things.
Thank you to hr_oskar for working so hard on this mod.
And thanks to everyone who provided city lists and other forms of support.
If I forgot your name just send me a PM and I'll include you on the list.

0.4 removed after 1528 downloads.
0.45 removed after 962 downloads, or 2492 total.
0.5 removed after 1763 downloads, or 4255 total.

The Civilizations in the both scenarios:

1. England
  2. France
  3. Germany
  4. Spain
  5. Italian States
  6. Poland
  7. Vikings
  8. Russia
  9. Hungary
  10. Byzantines
  11. Tatars
  12. Turks
  13. Egypt
  14. Moors
  15. Armenia

And civs only in the large version:

1. Lithuania
  2. Arabia

Tech Tree as of version 0.56

What's new in 0.56:

Changes
Spoiler :
Changes:
-moved Diet of the Hansa from Paper to Representation
-Have Architect have no +2 health, instead have +50% worker production
-Have Wise not have 2x production of Courts
-Have Pious produce missionaries 2x production
-Have Industrious not have 2x production of Master Workshop, but Belfry instead
-Have Influential have 2x production of Courts and Castles
-Redistributed the traits for every leader
-worked on personalities: WonderRand, BaseAttitude, PeaceRand, WarRand, Close/Far War Ratios
-+5% tech cost across the board
-moved following techs: Literature, Chivalry, Education, Crossbow, Banking, Humanism, Paper, Weaving, Printing Press, Crop Rotation, Shipbuilding, Milling
-The Silk Road now called Trans-Continental Trade
-many technologies have different technology prerequisites
-Saffron moved from Guilds to Manorialism
-Humanism now gives the first discoverer a Great Noble
-moved Hanseatic Kontor, Hansa Membership - Luxuries, and Hansa Membership - Fur to The Hanseatic League Tech

Additions
Spoiler :
Additions:
-new buildings all made by lshockley
-new building : Apothecary
-new building : Armoury
-new building : Astrologer's Tower
-new building : Belfry
-new building : Fair
-new building : Gallows
-new building : Guildhall
-new building : Leper's Quarantine
-new building : Minstrel's Stage
-new building : Print Shop
-new building : Public Bathhouse
-new building : Tavern
-new building : Vitner's Cellar
-new building : Medici Bank
-new building : La Sorbonne
-new graphics for Envoy (made by me)
-new graphics for Goten Huskarl (made by me)
-working on Otto's (Widukind's and Theodoric's also) german diplomacy
-new graphics for spearman
-new graphics for Chevallier (made by me)
-new graphics for Magyarok Horse Archer
-new graphics for Galleass
-new graphics for Heavy Galleazza
-new graphics for Daylami
-new graphics for Steppe Horseman
-all new buttons for techs (done by lshockley and Gordon Farrel)
-all new buttons for buildings (same)
-all new buttons for projects (same)
-new Techs: The Silk Road, The Hanseatic League, New World Voyage
-projects The Silk Road, The Hanseatic League, and New World Voyage now require the corresponding technology
-Civilizations are now limited on what production victories they may pursue

Bug Fixes
Spoiler :
Bug Fixes:
-Bayan and Theudis removed
-fixed French city name
-removed extra Renaissance Art technology

Main Scenario (Large)

Changes
Spoiler :
Changes:
-changed the shape of Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, Ireland, Scotland, and Jutland
-added Balaeraic Islands

We need translators for the following languages: (For now, mostly diplomacy text)

French (lshockley)
German (Head Serf)
Spanish (lshockley)
Italian (lshockley)
Polish
Norwegian or Danish
Russian
Hungarian or Latin
Greek
Tatar or Turkish
Turkish
Arabic or even better, Masri (Masri?)
Arabic
Armenian (Drtad)
Lithuanian or Polish

Plans for the future

• Adjust Leader personalities
  • Get the German diplomacy done, maybe include Armenia too (in progress)
  • Have every civilization have their own flag

Alright! Great start, I can't wait for you to release it.:goodjob:

I don't know if you've added the naval units I suggested in the previous thread to version 4. I've been rethinking and reworking some of the unit values, and have some changes to post... you should review them, and see if they fit. In addition I've added a new unit, Caravel (which you'll recognize from Vanilla). It is an upgrade from Medieval Galley and Cog, similar to Carrack. As well, I've introduced Naval Artillery promotions available with certain techs. Note that Naval Artillery III gives -1 cargo space. I don't know how doable this is, but it makes sense as the below decks guns have to take up space from somewhere. Also note that the Galleass, in addition to the tech Cannon, also requires Shipbuilding.

Galley (sailing) 2 strength, 2 move, Cargo 2, no ocean, cost: 30
Trireme (sailing) 2 strength, 2 move, no ocean, +50% vs Galley Class, cost: 30, starts with Naval Artillery I promotion

Longship (seafaring) 3 strength, 4 move, Cargo 2, no ocean, cost: 40
Dromon (seafaring) 4 strength, 3 move, Cargo 2, no ocean, cost: 40

Cog (shipbuilding) 5 strength, 4 move, Cargo 3, +50% defense vs Galley Class, cost: 50
Medieval Galley (shipbuilding) 5 strength, 3 move, Cargo 3, no ocean, cost: 50
Medieval Trireme(shipbuilding) 5 strength, 3 move, no ocean, +50% vs Galley Class, cost: 50, starts with Naval Artillery I promotion

Carrack (compass) 6 strength, 5 move, Cargo 3, +50% defense vs Galley Class, cost: 60
Caravel (compass) 5 strength, 6 move, Cargo 1 (special), +50% defense vs Galley Class, cost: 60, starts with scouting I promotion
Galleass (cannon, req. shipbuilding) 6 strength, 4 move, no ocean, +50% vs Galley Class, cost: 60, starts with Naval Artillery II promotion

Galleon (oceanic travel) 6 strength, 4 move, Cargo 4, +50% defense vs Galley Class, cost:70

Promotions to be created:

Naval Artillery I - +25% attack vrs G Class, SS Class (deck catapults – available with siege warfare tech)
Naval Artillery II - +50% attack vrs G Class, SS Class (deck cannon – available with cannon tech)
Naval Artillery III - +100% attack vrs G Class, SS Class (broadside cannon – available with cannon tech, only SS class ships), -1 Cargo

Galley, Longship - not allowed Naval Artillery promotions
Trireme, Dromon – limited to Naval Artillery I
Medieval Galley, Medieval Trireme, Galleass – limited to Naval Artillery II
Cog, Carrack, Caravel, Galleon – all Naval Artillery promotions are available

Tech changes:
Compass tech should require shipbuilding, not seafaring
Cannons tech should have guilds as a prerequisite, but require gunpowder, and cost 7800.

The rational for changing Compass requirement to include shipbuilding instead is that seafaring is a requirement for shipbuilding anyhow, and it makes the upgrade path more sensible for the naval units since without this change, some upgraded naval units could be acquired before their precursers. The change to Cannons is because I believe they arrive a little too late in tech tree, and they are toys that people should be able to play with for a little while, at least.

There are a couple of other ideas I'm thinking about. One idea has to do with the Naval Artillery promotion. I would really like the promotion at level I and II to require resources, copper and iron, but don't know if this is possible or more trouble than its worth. These are the same requirements as for land based cannon, so they make sense. In this case, Galleas would require these resources as it comes with Naval Artillery II promotion.

I need to see the other promotions that Head Serf has created. Some of them will be added to the Naval units as free promotions if such is deemed appropriate. I want to differentiate between Galleons and Carracks a little more (I think I may give Carracks, Caravels, Cogs and Longboats free Flanking I, for instance, and Galleons Combat I).

Another idea I have is for Fireships. These would be a free upgrade of obsolete Naval units. They would attack Naval units similar to the way land artillery attacks land units... that is they would cause collateral damage to multiple units. Different from the land based contemporaries, though, would be that the Fireship units would be destroyed in the process. Fireship units would have the strength of their pre-upgrade unit, but would have no promotions or cargo space, and be restricted to coastal travel. Their movement would be 1. They would defend normally, but in attack they would act as artillery with the collateral damage. They would be buildable.

Fireships were often used in naval combats, historically, against the Spanish Armada, for instance, so I'd like to see them implemented.

Another idea is for a privateer promotion. This would require as a prereq Scouting I. This would give the effected unit the Hidden Nationality trait. I intend this largely for use by Caravels, which is one reason why I gave them the Scouting I promotion as a freebie.

I intend to tweak the values for Naval Units when I am able to do some testing at a time when they have been included in the mod.

Craig, thanks again for the naval unit information. I've added most of the new naval units, I just have to find some new graphics for some of them. Here's the promotion system so far, it's kind of a "middle ground" between vanilla civ4 and version 0.3.

There are about 22 promotions, and I definately plan on adding more.

As far as your new fireship and privateer ideas go, I don't think I'll implement them in this version, it just seems too complicated for me to get it released in time.

The dromon should only Byzantine. Firegalley also only Byzantine. About the Galleas, I think it was a modified galley, but I could very well be mistaken.

The game would be seriously unbalanced if only the Byzantines got Dromons and Fireboats. The proper solution, in my opinion, is to make the Dromon a UU that replaces some other unit, and this other unit could be built by other civilizations.

My info was that the name, Dromon, was rather generic for that type of galley. If someone can think of an alternative name, that would be ok... perhaps Advanced Galley, although I don't like that one.

The Galleass should be a galley.

The French ought to get cogs and longships (considering the importance of the Normans).

I didn't mean the Byzantines should get both of them, I just said that historically, Dromons and Firegalleys (not fireboats, my bad) were only found in the byzantine fleet. Dromons were more powerful and more maneuverable than any other ship in the Early Middle Ages, so they could represent early Byzantine domination of the seas. Maybe for the fireboat, you can take the missile code from Dale's Combat Mod and use it for that. Just an idea.

I thought the Byzantines used Greek Fire by pouring it on top of the Ottomans during the Last Seige of Constantinople.

I dunno, I read an article that said the secret of making Greek Fire was lost when the Ottomans mercilessly sacked Constantinople.

Top Bottom