Votes: 30 93.8%
  • Nah.

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enginseer

Salientia of the Community Patch
Supporter
Yadda yadda there was something about integrating the Community Events into Vox Populi. Although there is an agreeable consensus among all parties, here are the intended integrated events into Vox Populi. Everything else will be considered in beta and hence in the mod and be optional. This is what I considered to be balanced and has little discussions to be open.

Anyway why these events? They still have a functionality of Core Events where it introduces new concepts.
  • Draft Event (City Event)
    • Militia (Ancient-Renaissance) [Trade]
      • "Your Military Advisor comes up to you and declares that we need to improve our military to defend against these barbarian!"
        • "Good idea, call up households of family who must serve in the army for their nation."
          • -1 Population, +1 Random Military Unit.
        • "Of course, let's call up "volunteers" and provide them the arms to serve their nation!"
          • -200 Gold, +1 Random Military Unit.
        • "I would rather not."
    • Conscription (Industrial+) [Good]
      • "Your Military Advisor comes up to you and announces that we need to improve our military to defend against world threats and for the sake of national peace!"
        • "Of course, of course. Say those public school students make great soldiers.. why don't we introduce them to what the military can offer for them?
          • +1 Random Military Unit.
          • Requires Public School in the City.
        • "Courage and Honor in those that die for their country!"
          • Requires Autocracy.
  • Education Event (City Event)
    • Student Riots (Industrial+) [Good]
      • "There are students rioting across the city square for more progressive reforms. What do we suppose we do?"
        • "Let them protest and achieve progressive reforms if they are successful!"
          • +200 Golden Age Point.
          • Requires Freedom.
        • "I can tell we need this 'Cultural Revolution' sooner already to preserve our ideals!"
          • +100 Culture.
          • Requires Order.
        • "Nonsense. They just need a little reeducation."
          • +100 Production.
          • Requires Autocracy.
    • Primary Education (Classical-Renaissance) [Trade]
      • "Many of our present generation are currently illiterate and uneducated, the city governor here wish to direct a few funding to educate the future generation.
        • "I suppose a few gold from my treasury will help kids write and read about the benevolent ruler of ours."
          • -75 Gold for +1 Science to the Library
          • Requires a Library.
        • "The city governor can just take it out of the taxes. No biggie."
          • +2 Science, -2 Gold to the Library.
        • "I rather look for cheaper solutions."
    • Secondary Education (Medieval-Industrial) [Trade]
      • "Many of our craftsman may learn under the apprenticeship of their fellow masters, but what do we do of the others that do not work on the farms and laze around the streets? We must give them something!
        • "We have that university laying around that only the rich can afford. Let's subsidize those willing and hard to work to have access as well."
          • Scientist and Academies in the City produce +2 Science. University generate -5 Gold.
        • "Let them laze around the streets then."
    • Government Research (Renaissance+) [Trade]
      • "A person approach your governor about this weird contraception. If properly sponsored, it could give us some beneficial bonus.
        • "Seems good. I approve."
          • -500 Gold for 75% chance of +400 Science.
        • "We have an academy for that very reason. Make a room for him there.
          • 50% chance of +400 Science.
        • "Turn this person away and I don't want any more crazy person rambling onto about putting people beyond the heavens!
  • Pantheon Boosters (City Event)
    • "We can make a religion out of this" (Ancient) [Good]
      • "See all those people suffering. We should ignore the fact of our surroundings dying and seek enlightenment instead."
        • +25 Faith.
        • Requires 10 Population.
        • One time.
      • "See this natural beauty. Only someone of higher existence can create this." (Ancient) [Good]
        • +15 Faith.
        • Requires a Natural Wonder.
        • One time.
  • Healthcare Events (City Event)
    • A Plague On Our People (Ancient+) [Bad]
      • "This city has been plagued by the bad events of a mysterious outbreak. What can we do?"
        • "Oh well, our prayers goes out to all of them."
          • 50% for -2 Population
        • "I have a theory. Why don't we inject some old moldy bread into them? It may sounds crazy, but..."
          • 25% for -2 Population
          • Requires Chemistry
        • "Oh just give them the usual antibacterial medication. They'll recover no time."
          • Requires Penicillin.
    • Vaccination (Industrial+) [Trade]
      • "So, there are ways that we can ensures a better longevity for our people. If we introduce a mandatory vaccination policy. People are less likely to die and can live longer. However there are a few protests to this issue...
        • "Does it look like I care? No vaccination. No benefits."
          • -300 Gold
          • Hospital produces 10% Food, but -5 Gold.
        • "Of course but we must be tolerant of those with faith who must refuse these vaccinations for their beliefs."
          • -100 Gold
          • Hospital produces 4% Food, but -3 Gold.
        • "This is the city's problem to deal with. Not mine."
  • Border Events (City Event)
    • Immigration (Classical+) [Good]
      • "In good times, many people flock to our cities for a hope of a better future and life."
        • +2 Population
        • Requires a Golden Age
      • "During a great festival, many people hoped to experience the same as this celebration in the city.
        • +1 Population
        • Requires WLTKD.
      • "And then there were those who have made pilgrimages. Hoping to find a spiritual meaning beyond their existence and has found it in this city."
        • +1 Population
        • Requires Holy City
      • "There are those however that rises up to the challenge of authority and claim themselves to be better than their fellow peers. These are the future pioneers."
        • +1 Population
        • Requires at least 1 vassal.
        • Cannot have more than 10 Population.
    • Emigration (Classical+) [Bad]
      • "In dark times, some seek a better life and leave our city in hoping to find so."
        • -2 Population
        • Empire must be Unhappy.
        • Must have at least 3 Population.
      • "When economic times hit hard, people left to find other jobs in other cities."
        • -1 Population
        • Empire must in debt(negative GPT).
      • "People run in fear among the plains and skies as their city becomes no longer safe to live in."
        • -1 Population
        • City must be razing or in resistance.
  • Ideological Pressure (Neutral) [Unlocked once World Congress is available.]
    • "Give me liberty, or give me death!
      • A level of Freedom affects all civilizations for 30 turns.
      • More likely to occur when corporations exist.
    • "Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!"
      • A level of Order affects all civilizations for 30 turns.
      • More likely to occur when vassals exist.
    • "To each his or her own justice for everyone!"
      • A level of Autocracy affects all civilizations for 30 turns.
      • More likely to occur during war.

Last edited:
Yadda yadda there was something about integrating the Community Events into Vox Populi. Although there is an agreeable consensus among all parties, here are the intended integrated events into Vox Populi. Everything else will be considered in beta and hence in the mod and be optional. This is what I considered to be balanced and has little discussions to be open.
      • "Your Military Advisor comes up to you and declares that we need to improve our military to defend against these barbarian!"
        • "Good idea, call up households of family who must serve in the army for their nation."
        • "Of course, let's call up "volunteers" and provide them the arms to serve their nation!"
        • "I would rather not."

Wouldn't drafting people (which you apparently do) cost population no matter how you do it? Or is the first option supposed to represent drafting more people to make up for the lack of equipment?

Either way, calling it 'hire some mercenaries' or something instead might be a better fit.

I think the writing could use a little work on some of them. I could read over them for you if they're going to be integrated...

Wouldn't drafting people (which you apparently do) cost population no matter how you do it? Or is the first option supposed to represent drafting more people to make up for the lack of equipment?
Yeah basically it.

Either way, calling it 'hire some mercenaries' or something instead might be a better fit.
I proposed that to 5 of my testers and they suggested that the event should also do some mercenary unique units which I object.

I think the writing could use a little work on some of them. I could read over them for you if they're going to be integrated...
Sure if you want to help make the fluff better.

I proposed that to 5 of my testers and they suggested that the event should also do some mercenary unique units which I object.
Well I'd never suggest that. Just call them mercenaries and have them be any unit you can produce, alternatively any unit from the era you're in, if you want to be special about it. :D

Well I'd never suggest that. Just call them mercenaries and have them be any unit you can produce, alternatively any unit from the era you're in, if you want to be special about it. :D
It is from the era the random unit is produced in provided you have the appropriate tech.

Have you considered giving the actual mercenary unit (one of the Landsknetch line) for the 'mercenary' event?

Bold are changes to the text to make them flow/sound better in English. The English currently is a bit unpolished.

• "Your Military Advisor approaches you and suggests expanding the military to defend against barbarians."
        • "Good idea, let us contact the upper houses to bolster our ranks." (I'm assuming the word "draft/conscript" was not used here due to the era restriction.)
        • "Of course, let us provide the local militias with better arms."
        • "I would rather not."
    • Conscription (Industrial+) [Good]
      • "Your Military Advisor approaches you and suggests expanding the military to defend against world threats."
        • "Of course, of course... say... those public school students would make great soldiers... why don't we introduce them to what the military can offer for them?
          • Requires Public School in the City.
        • "Courage and honor in those that die for their country!"
          • Requires Autocracy.
  • Education Event (City Event)
    • Student Riots (Industrial+) [Good]
      • "There are students rioting across the city square for more progressive reforms. What should we do?"
        • "Let them protest and achieve progressive reforms!"
          • +200 Golden Age Point.
          • Requires Freedom.
        • "I can tell we need a 'Cultural Revolution' to preserve our ideals!" (This sentence was bad mmkay).
          • +100 Culture.
          • Requires Order.
        • "Nonsense. They just need a little reeducation."
          • +100 Production.
          • Requires Autocracy.
    • Primary Education (Classical-Renaissance) [Trade]
      • "Many of our people are illiterate and uneducated. The city governor wishes to redirect some funding to educate the future generations.
        • "I suppose some gold from the treasury is due to help children learn about their benevolent ruler."
          • -75 Gold for +1 Science to the Library
          • Requires a Library.
        • "The city governor can just take it out of the taxes. No biggie."
          • +2 Science, -2 Gold to the Library.
        • "I'd rather look for cheaper solutions."
    • Secondary Education (Medieval-Industrial) [Trade]
      • "Many craftsman are under apprenticeship of their masters but what should we do of those who laze about the streets?
        • "We have that university "lazing around" that only the rich can afford. Let's provide scholarships to those that are worthy."
          • Scientist and Academies in the City produce +2 Science. University generate -5 Gold.
        • "Let them laze around the streets." (I'm assuming that "lazing around" is an inside joke that I don't understand.)
    • Government Research (Renaissance+) [Trade]
      • "A person approaches your governor about this weird contraption. If properly sponsored, it could give us some benefit. (Lol contraception)
        • "Seems good. I approve."
          • -500 Gold for 75% chance of +400 Science.
        • "We have an academy for that very reason. Make a room for him there.
          • 50% chance of +400 Science.
        • "Turn this person away and I don't want any more crazy person rambling onto about putting people beyond the heavens!
  • Pantheon Boosters (City Event)
    • "We can make a religion out of this" (Ancient) [Good]
      • "See all this suffering? We should ignore the material world and seek enlightenment instead."
        • +25 Faith.
        • Requires 10 Population.
        • One time.
      • "See this natural beauty? Only someone of higher existence can create this." (Ancient) [Good]
        • +15 Faith.
        • Requires a Natural Wonder.
        • One time.
  • Healthcare Events (City Event)
    • A Plague On Our People (Ancient+) [Bad]
      • "This city has been plagued by a mysterious outbreak. What can we do?"
        • "Oh well, our prayers go out to all of them."
          • 50% for -2 Population
        • "I have a theory... why don't we inject some old moldy bread into them? It may sound crazy, but..."
          • 25% for -2 Population
          • Requires Chemistry
        • "Oh just give them the usual antibiotics. They'll recover."
          • Requires Penicillin.
    • Vaccination (Industrial+) [Trade]
      • "There are ways that we can ensure a longer life for our people. If we introduce a mandatory vaccination policy then people are less likely to die and can live longer. There are however a few protests to this...
        • "Does it look like I care?"
          • -300 Gold
          • Hospital produces 10% Food, but -5 Gold.
        • "We must be tolerant of those skeptical."
          • -100 Gold
          • Hospital produces 4% Food, but -3 Gold.
        • "This is the city's problem to deal with. Not mine."
  • Border Events (City Event)
    • Immigration (Classical+) [Good]
      • "In good times, many people flock to our cities for a hope of a better future and life."
        • +2 Population
        • Requires a Golden Age
      • "During a great festival many people 'celebrated.'"
        • +1 Population
        • Requires WLTKD.
      • "Many have made pilgrimages hoping to find a spiritual meaning beyond their existence."
        • +1 Population
        • Requires Holy City
      • "There are those however that challenge authority and claim themselves to be better than others."
        • +1 Population
        • Requires at least 1 vassal.
        • Cannot have more than 10 Population.
    • Emigration (Classical+) [Bad]
      • "In dark times some seek a better life and leave our city in the hope to find it."
        • -2 Population
        • Empire must be Unhappy.
        • Must have at least 3 Population.
      • "When economic times are hard some people leave to find jobs in other cities."
        • -1 Population
        • Empire must in debt(negative GPT).
      • "People run in fear among the countryside as their city is no longer safe to live in."
        • -1 Population
        • City must be razing or in resistance.
  • Ideological Pressure (Neutral) [Unlocked once World Congress is available.]
    • "Give me liberty, or give me death!
      • A level of Freedom affects all civilizations for 30 turns.
      • More likely to occur when corporations exist.
    • "Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!"
      • A level of Order affects all civilizations for 30 turns.
      • More likely to occur when vassals exist.
    • "To each his or her own justice for everyone!"
      • A level of Autocracy affects all civilizations for 30 turns.
      • More likely to occur during war.

Last edited:
I like these. I hope to see more get added in future releases. While these will go a decent distance towards diversifying current events, I think the civilization specific events should be integrated as well at least.

Also for similar reasons to why you cannot trust people with the mercenary terminology, consider adding an abstain choice to polls like this. For various reasons you'll get a bunch of people that care about event balance despite not using them personally, and allowing them to comment and vote to abstain can make the final results better. I think we're going to see a very clear majority for integration regardless.

I like these. I hope to see more get added in future releases. While these will go a decent distance towards diversifying current events, I think the civilization specific events should be integrated as well at least.
Integrating the Civilization Events means I have to make an SQL trigger to create generic civilization events for any new civilizations people add. I'd prefer not to for now until all of the civilization events don't make you snowball for no reason.

Also for similar reasons to why you cannot trust people with the mercenary terminology, consider adding an abstain choice to polls like this. For various reasons you'll get a bunch of people that care about event balance despite not using them personally, and allowing them to comment and vote to abstain can make the final results better. I think we're going to see a very clear majority for integration regardless.
An abstain is similarly to a no. Events were never meant to be balanced gameplay-wise. That's why you can't enable them in multiplayer as far as I know.
No such thing as abstain in my opinion when integrating. They either win your approval or not. When you abstain, you just don't care which is a no on my part as a failure for the events to seem attractive to enable.

Top Bottom