Everyone else get backstabbed by the AI?

connor

Highlander
I was playing warlord on pangea on an oval-shaped continent right in the middle, like a hub and spokes with no port. Going well when the Germans attack and then 2 turns later the Chinese attack. I beat off the attacks and send scouts and knights in to pillage their land, completely destroyed their infrastructure and ham-strung them. About 100 years later the Persians and Romans simultaneously attack. Not going well, but holding them off. BTW, immortals were killing my knights left and right on both offense and defense, seemed a bit unbalanced to me, and same with the Roman legions. Anyway, Persia makes peace and a few turns later Rome, but then France attacks and begins taking cities. It was just too much and I threw in the towel. I traded with everyone, maintained an advanced, quantitative military, was on polite terms with all attackers with all, but Germany of course. Then out come the knives!!! GRRR!!! :mad:

Those civs will start attacking anybody when the land area expires.

I've had civs attack me when we've been best buds for centuries. But, when the land for expansion runs out, you better watch your back.:mad:

Just too much expansion.

There comes a time when it is smarter for a civ to spend its limited resources on building infrastructure, research, and Wonders instead of trying to grow like a cancer.

Gotta keep your guard up with Bismark.

Consult your military advisor. If he says you're weak vs. an aggressive rival, watch out.

I've had Elizabeth attack out of nowhere, too, the pasty faced wench. Esp. toward the beginning of the modern period, but that could be coincidence.

The Aztecs try, but I never trusted them anyway. Oh, Montezuma, you're ever so sneaky walking that stack of 20 units into my land. Whatever could you be up to?

I find that the computer is more likely to attack me if I have mercilessly flattened one of their compatriots in the past. Maybe I shouldn't raze so many cities...:D

It's still better than in CIV1 where you could NOT let a city without a defender wihtout the AI doing a sneak attack to take it, regardless of any other considerations.

back on topic: the AI will attack you for very basic reasons, expand, luxuries, ressources...etc. It's pretty straightforward, you should always be on your toes if you have agressive neighbours.

loki

I`ve had the French (who else but lovely Joanne) attack me simply when I passed them in the histograph. I`d been last , then second to last very long, then roread up to third. I`d had contact wiht the French vias the Zulu - now dead. Never seen any French units or anything. Never! No, I`m on a different continent and Astronomy isn`t round yet. Also, I`m at peace with everyone else. So I can`t seen any reason whatsoever for a declaration of war. I`m militarily stronger, don`t have any tech they might covet, traded World Map last turn..... :confused: :confused: :confused:

I guess that`s just the AIs way of saying Hi! :lol:

I have actually played two games with the Germans as loyal allies, but I'll never trust Zulus or Americans again as I have a pair of knives sticking out of my back from our previous encounters.

Once i had elizabeth gracious toward me when she suddenly attacked and took all my luxury cities.

I have only one response to the questions of what the AI is up to;
"PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOPWER"

If they are stupid enough to declare war, rip into a few of their cities, take the resources you want, and make them sue for peace. Or just take advantage of the situation and anihilate them for the territory.

I did post a thread a few weeks back along the lines of winning through diplomacy and tact, now I have had a change of heart. Call it experience or just pure cynicism, but now I trust no-one, not even 'Passive Resistance' Ghandi. Now I make sure that all my opponents have an equal or worse military than me, and when I have plenty of superior units I crush them!
No more trading world maps to anyone either. Just as my settler and spearman are merrily on their way through the verdant forest to pastures new (especially an area that has lots of nice resoursec in it) the AI decides to plonk their own settler there! This is even in the middle of territory I own and miles away from their capital!
I have reached the point now which most veteran diplomats and politicians must get to when they go on about how important it is to have a good military and to spend lots on the defence budget. I never thought I'd ever get to that point, but here I am..... destroy them before they destroy you...

Are you experienced?

I had a game recently where the Aztec were continuously tramping through my lands to go to war. I had not devoped firepowere yet, and a even paid tribute once on demand. When I finally did get my strength up-- I had spent much more resources on expansion and infrastructure--the Iroquois started invading, and declared war when I asked them to leave.... I negotiated alliances with Rome and aztec, and thought I was safe for 20 turns. I asked Aztec and Roman troops to leave ( they did not need to go through me to get to Iroqois) they both declared war on me--3 turns into the alliance...

Originally posted by Moulton
I had a game recently where the Aztec were continuously tramping through my lands to go to war. I had not devoped firepowere yet, and a even paid tribute once on demand. When I finally did get my strength up-- I had spent much more resources on expansion and infrastructure--the Iroquois started invading, and declared war when I asked them to leave.... I negotiated alliances with Rome and aztec, and thought I was safe for 20 turns. I asked Aztec and Roman troops to leave ( they did not need to go through me to get to Iroqois) they both declared war on me--3 turns into the alliance...

Something like thats happened to me before too. It seems as tho the AI gets very annoyed at you if you ally with them and then have the gall to not trust them enough to be near you. :D

Originally posted by RX2000

Something like thats happened to me before too. It seems as tho the AI gets very annoyed at you if you ally with them and then have the gall to not trust them enough to be near you. :D

strange enough, sometimes they prefer to die before they can stand your troops on their territory in cases like that.....

Yesterday I use >10 Pikemen and 20 Knights to block the Greeks from reaching my ally, Egypt. Cleo came on telling me to get lost (she didn`t trust me, after all I`d played Hitler style all the game....) and the same turn, after my units moved automatically, Egypt lost her last 6 cities to Greece.... Dumb, dumb, dumb.....

Well, I took them and thus gained lots of territory.... :)

Cleo came on telling me to get lost

I like that one;

Cleo:"..the troops bumbling about near Thebes are stealing chickens and annoying our women" :lol:

Cute! :love:

Originally posted by Dirk Aurel

I like that one;

Cleo:"..the troops bumbling about near Thebes are stealing chickens and annoying our women" :lol:

Cute! :love:

Yeah, is kinda cute, especially in AD 2049 or so :lol:

I'm sure they did a lot more than just "annoy" the women. :eek: :D

Originally posted by Zouave
I'm sure they did a lot more than just "annoy" the women. :eek: :D

maybe it was more annoying to Cleo, not to the women in question. But just imagine what would happen if these women were enjoying it - there would be mixed blooded people in Cleos cities and they might CultureFlip easier.... :D

just joking!

Connor,

Consider making some Right of Passage agreements. They usually make the AI much happier. Also, have a lot of workers 'cause they count towards military.

Vampire

I think the AI check out your number of unit in your cities on your borders and attack even if your more powerfull... what I mean is that I was the most powerful civ in the world and I was killing the greek in the west. For that reason, my eastern border had just 2 unit in each city... know what? Just after, I've defeated the greek, just before my troop could all come back, Egypt backstabbed me while my guard was down... I think do not just backstab you, but he "planify" it !!

was really a great game tough...

Top Bottom