Expansion Civilizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depravo said:
Well, if it's accuracy you want 'Berserker' (the concept of Civ-unit size berserker formations is absurd) should be scrapped either in favour of the hersir or, better yet, the longship - 'drakkar' if you want to be theatrical about it.

Thank you. Finally someone other than myself saying this. The longship is what made the Vikings great. It was truly a unique "unit".

cthom said:
Yul Brynner?;)

:D

Seriously the king Yul brynner played would almost be a must have- king Ramma IV. But there are actually a lot of really good leaders for Siam/Thailand... Too bad most people dont know the history. In the Thailand mod there are 4- Ramkhamheang, Ramma IV, Ramma V, and Ramma IX.

About that film (king and I) it is actually banned in Thailand becouse it is so historically incorrect and is disrepectful to the royalty. ( A big no no in thailand) If you watched the film you would think that the Kings nanny actually aided the king in major policy decisions and helped Siam "westernize". It really is a rather poor film historically speaking. I dont agree with banning it however.

Modern Scandinavia stands of the highest Life expactency, highest GPI rate and, at total, richer than US. Norway and Iceland united in economy (+ Denmark, Sweden and Finland) and wealth beats every country in the world and stands side by side with US and Canada in technology
Middle-age Scandinavia defeated Russia, Poland and Germany - one of the largest empires in
Viking-age Scandinavia defeated Europe, found America and explored from Newfoundland to Baghdad

Surely! Scandinavia for Vikings.
Vikings only did the Viking-age but Scandinavia was on all times

I think they should add...

The Dutch, the Portuguese, the Polynesians, the Vikings, the Ottomans,
the Babylonians, the Khmer, the Hebrews, and the Ethiopians.
They could have some of the cities they colonized be some of the cities in the game and that would take care of having to make different civilizations.

Also why is everyone wanting a new African or Native American Tribe?
The only African that makes any since is Ethiopia and the rest were all conquered. (This doen't include Egypt which was actually an important civilization.) The Native Americans were all conquered by Europe so why include them? Not one of them survived the onslaught of the European Empires or later on the USA. If you do include them then do what Civilization Call to Power did and include them all as one civilization with the cities names being the tribes. Also Africa and America have all of their actual powers throughout history listed already with the exception of Ethiopia. Putting in Ghana and Benin, or the Apache and Iroquois makes about as much sense as putting in Luxembourg and Taiwan. Also Canada never has and probably never will be a world power, don't add them.

Think about it...
How crappy would the expansion pack be with a bunch of uninfluential conquered civilizations?

Yes BishopX, Canada has been a major economic leader but Canada should not come before the great colonial powers that shaped the face of the world. I think that we should include civilizations by how historically important they were. Canada was not a major country in any war, has never colonized anywhere but its own territory, and has a population smaller than California.

The Native Americans were all conquered by Europe so why include them? Not one of them survived the onslaught of the European Empires or later on the USA.

I live in Arizona and know many native americans who would disagree with you.... there are many tribes around here. But your point is well taken. I dont think they should be in the first expansion I would think maybe second expansion would be good for one or two native American tribes.

Just becouse a Civ was once conquered doesnt automatically exempt them. You list Khmer as one you would like to see in.. They were conqured very often- First by the Siamese, Then the Vietnamese, Next Vietnamese and Siamese,(Basically using Cambodia as a Battleground) Lastly the French. I do think they deserve to be in mainly for cultural reasons (much of what we think of as SE asian culture started in the Khmer emprie). They are many things to look at when deciding what civ to let in and what ones to leave out. Personally, I would put the Siamese in first, but Khmer deffinatly deserve to be in.

In fact though you will see more than one Native american tribe before you see Siam or Khmer... a sad fact.

They should add the Great Temple(Aztec wonder) and Crystal Cathedral(USA wonder) as wonders(even as small wonders). Also the Powhatan would be a good empire to include. :)

And Mexico (in a sense) is already present in Civ via the Aztecs.[/QUOTE]

In that case the Celts represent Europe and Arabians Israel, Babylon, Hitties and Sumer... HECK even Egypt could be represented as Arabia!:)

ChrTh said:
Current Wish List: Maya. Native American. Polynesian (one of these games). Republic of Venice. Continental Celts (to cheese off all those who equate the Celts with Ireland).

Why should Venice be a Civ? It is the city I want to see most but can hardly be considered a Civ. If you posed that as a joke,sorry for taking it so seriosly bu if not... shame on you....:goodjob: :)

It's hard to justify including any of these civilizations on their own, but it might be interesting to have a "colonial British" civ (like the "colonial Greeks" in the GreekWorld scenario), including all 3 (or 4) countries.

He's talking about the Venecian empire...which controlled quite a bit of territory.

Don't remember what...but i remember it was like the most influential of the Italian City-States. Or at least one of the top influentual city-states.

Yea but it's already in the game in the form of Rome. I don't understand why people want to include civs that are already in the game in another form. Like Britain for example. You can't do that because England's already in the game. But you can put Scotland in seperately. Or Mexico. Aztecs are already in the game, and eventually became Mexicans. Also if you put these types of civs together then wtf would you do on the Real Earth map right? Mexico and the Aztec share the same capital.

Turks, Vikings, Babylonians, Celts, Abyssinians and Carthagenians (or Phoenicians).

If they add any type of Civil War affect, then diffently the Confederate States.

They'll have Korea for sure.

Hawkeye2007 said:
Think about it...
How crappy would the expansion pack be with a bunch of uninfluential conquered civilizations?

1. This game is no doubt more tilted towards a Western (Canada, US) audience. Therefore, Native American tribes are extremely pertinent to a good portion of the players of this game.

2. If we are talking about conquered or assimilated civilizations, about half of the CURRENT civilizations included wouldnt be in the game. This includes Aztecs, Incas, Malinese, Persia, and Romans, and others that are a shell of their former glory Arabs, Mongols, Greek.

3. Native American tribes, much like the Vikings or Celts, have an appeal to large audiences because of their culture and heavy involvment in pre-gun powder technology and usage, exploration, politics and influence. Not coincidentally, these are the most interesting periods in the game. I dont think there is any more demand for another Eurocentric gun powder imperialist. By the results of the poll, there is a lot of demand for pre-powder, novel cultures.

So, you are in the minority who wants to see another dominant, currently existing, more then likely European, indistinguishable from the others, civ. Maybe Poland, Sweden or Netherlands/Dutch?

My 6 picks:

1. Assyria - Leader: Sargon
2. Sweden - Leader: Charles
3. Khmer - Leader: Jayavarman
4. Ethiopia - Leader: Zawditu
5. Israel - Leader: David
6. Netherlands - Leader: Wilhelmina

and my ridiculous #7 choice because I think it'd be fun:
7. Argentina - Leader: Evita ;)

I took some historical liberties (especially with Wilhelmina), but I just can't pass up a leader with that name.

Here's my few civs I think should be included:

1. Vikings, Scandinavia or something like that
2. Austra-Hungary in some form or another
3. Some sort of Native American civ, cuz I think another one is needed
4. Another African civ wouldn't be bad

Just a question, browsing through the 38 pages of posts here I noticed that people have been bashing Poland and Canada a lot. Poland defeated the Teutonic Knights and turned the tide at the Battle of Vienna against the Turks. They also have had their share of famous people, including Chopin and Copernicus.

Canada, sure they haven't been around for very long compared to others and they have a tiny population compared to the U.S, but they've been around for basically as long as the U.S, they got into World War II before the U.S and they've had very important leaders, economically and diplomatically. Why is everyone bashing these 2 countries?

Hawkeye2007 said:
Also why is everyone wanting a new African or Native American Tribe? The only African that makes any since is Ethiopia and the rest were all conquered.
Most countries that are already in the game were conquered during the course of history, some even quite a few times.

The Native Americans were all conquered by Europe
Actually, this is not true. A number of Amerind nations, including the Iroquois, were never conquered, and still exist today. (Also, a great many Amerind nations that were conquered, were not conquered by Europe, but by the Iroquois.)

So if not having been conquered were the criterium, only a few civilizations would be acceptable, but the Iroquois would be among them.

Besides of which, no one seems to argue that the Egyptians shouldn't be in this game, and not only were they conquered (Ancient Egyptian civilization, for all intents and purposes, ceased to exist two thousand years ago), but Egypt must be one of the most frequently conquered countries on Earth.

Thor's Hammer said:
Here's my few civs I think should be included:

1. Vikings, Scandinavia or something like that
2. Austra-Hungary in some form or another
3. Some sort of Native American civ, cuz I think another one is needed
4. Another African civ wouldn't be bad

Just a question, browsing through the 38 pages of posts here I noticed that people have been bashing Poland and Canada a lot. Poland defeated the Teutonic Knights and turned the tide at the Battle of Vienna against the Turks.

Now this is what I can not get,
Why you don't include Turks then if the sole reason of Poland and Austria-Hungary is to stop Turks.

Wouldn't it be nice to fight as Poland against Turks. When I play as Germany or France I just want to go and capture the Moscow and show how you should conquer the Russia. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom