1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Expansion Pack PREVIEW!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by monkspider, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Corn Shucker

Corn Shucker Great Khorn

I could care less what roman emperor it is.... but I would like to see an emperor in full roman armor- helmet and all, one that looks strong (not weak-looking like caesar ;P) I'd rather see a emperor in the earlier years of the Roman Empire (even though Caesars at the beginning...). I think it was a mistake to have only one roman leader to begin with (Rome being my favorite civ :))

2. Xen

Xen Magister

I love it; I just think it could be even better then its already lofty heights of kickassness :D

3. monkspider

monkspider Warlord

Original post updated to take into account new information that has become available. An early version of Alexander is also now included. :D

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. If anyone still needed to see the original version, it is available here http://members.cox.net/monkspider/xppreview.JPG

4. alireza1354

alireza1354 Emperor

coooooooooooolll

I think this means we will have an expansion :)

5. Rodman49

Rodman49 Chieftain

I must agree. This expansion talk seems like a complete and total logical disconnect to me. I've modded games like Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 and Warcraft III and there are tons of unused art, sounds, and code within their game files. How you get unused art = expansion is beyond me; unused materials just indicate that either ideas and graphics were scrapped at some point in development and removed or that some materials were never completely implemented before deadline.

6. KevinTMC

KevinTMC Utopian

This is the sort of thing which has puzzled me about modern software for some time.

[RANT]
    You see, I remember back when I ran Civilization I on my first Mac laptop running System 6 or 7. The System Folder had a dozen or two files that composed the operating system. I knew what all of them did--and sometimes modded them for fun using ResEdit.

The Mac port of Civ consisted of one executable file, and 3 or 4 resource files. Installation and uninstallation were simple enough to do manually, blindfolded.

Now there are something like 20,000 files in my Windows directory (including subfolders), and Civ 4 has a whole bunch of directories scattered in two or three very different places in my file system, containing thousands of files, many of which--judging from the original post in this thread--not even the developers are aware are there. Now sure, Windows XP and Civ IV are bigger and more complex than System 6.0.7 and Civ I...but several thousand times more complex?

Several thousand times messier, maybe...

How can an operating system and a computer game running under it not be buggy as all get out under such conditions?
    [/RANT]

Who's with me in starting a Campaign for Fewer Files?

-- Kevin​

7. wilcoxchar

wilcoxchar Warlord

For a second leader for Rome, I would like to see Constantine or Nero (don't even ask why, I don't even know). I would also like to see Meiji in for Japan and Pericles in for Greece and am thinking of adding them in to fill in the missing trait combos (Phi/Ind and Cre/Org, respectively). One small correction on the original post if it hasn't been brought up already, on the alternative English flag they are lions, not eagles.

8. Garand

Garand Warlord

The black eagle on the white background is most certainly not Russian. The Russian eagle that was the symbol of Tsarist Russia was always double-headed.

The purple flag with the yellow Emblem was Constantine the Great's battle standard. The emblem is called the chi-rho, a symbol which Constantine said he saw emblazoned in the sky in a dream in which God spoke to him. It is most certainly the flag of the Byzantines.

9. Clown2TheLeft

Clown2TheLeft Prince

Let's get this release working as advertised before discussing expansions, eh?

Later!

--The Clown to the Left

10. spicytimothy

spicytimothy Warlord

hey about the choice of Menes... Shouldn't they pick Narmer instead?

i know this is a sore point in Egyptology, but Menes is still considered a myth, since there's no concrete proof of his existence except king lists that are infamous for omission and make-belief...

but there's a palette called Narmer Palette i think with depictions of King Narmer wearing a crown of lower egypt on one side and that of upper egypt on the other side, and it depicts him as conquering those living in Lower Egypt...

so yeah... Narmer anyone?

11. JakeCourtney

JakeCourtney Villain

They need to make an expansion pack to add more to the diplomacy.

12. vodkamattvt

vodkamattvt Chieftain

You mean other than making diplomacy equal to religion?

13. nielstheredeye

nielstheredeye Chieftain

allthugh i like the idea of a viking nation in the game.. i recent that the flag is a helmet with horns... the vikings did not carry horns on there helmets.

A more accurate draving would be mjoelnier(the hammer of thor(god of peasants, and thunder)), slejpnier(odin's(king of the gods) 8 legged horse) or the one of the many dragons in the nordic mythology.

14. Percinho

Percinho Gooner

While the Danes may use it, it is worth noting that it's also the main symbols used by English sporting teams, and can be seen promenantly on the shirts of, for example, the football and cricket teams.

Whilst the Danes may use similar symbols, the design on the flag looks exactly like the English representation.

15. Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly Rufus is coming in town!

Actually I think that this is not a great scoop. They are only test for Greek world scenario and 1000 AD flags.

16. Kevinicus

Kevinicus 01001011

I am glad they didn't pick that Alexander, he looks quite homorific. I would like to see Augustus in an expansion and new civs though. Specially Gilgamesh! :)

17. Dark Khan

Dark Khan this is Afrasiab

The eagle,maybe Hittites as a new civ

18. TerraHero

TerraHero Terranigma Guru

And Sulla isnt close to Julius Ceasar? :mischief:

Julius basicly took over after Sulla.

I think Augustus is a very good choise, we should get leaders for there famousness and not for there date in history. Augustus did many things, amongst wich he was the one to organized the Preatorian Guard, wich happens to be Rome's UU.

19. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Augustus is great, but he is the ""son"" (or better heir) of Caesar, and we have so many other great Roman people:
    Scipio Africanus,Marcus Aurelius, Hadrian, Pius Antoninus, Diocletian, ...

mitsho

20. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

Right - that's why I quoted "republic", because it wasn't anywhere near one.