explain it to a simple player

AthenaMaria

Chieftain
I know there are lots of threads already, but most of them seem geared towards other modders. (or seasoned Civ players of which I am a relative noob in comparison)

Please will you explain it to me as a player. I'd love to try this mod, but I am not an expert on XML by any means. (Learning it but thats not the point)

What does this mod do for a player? How do I install and run it with diffferent mods.

Is it playable now?

How much memory will it need? Other specs?
Will it work with 1.5 GB of RAM ATI 128 Graphics and AMD 2600+ CPU?

If not, will future versions?

Does it replace BTS or will I still have access to that if something goes wrong?

Where are the instruction manuals? (for players)

Can I load other mods such as BAT / Planetfall? Can you mix and match mods or have I misunderstood that?

I know some of these answers are out there but as I said, most seem geared towards other modders so I would appreciate simple answers.

Any other facts that may be relevant.

Thank you for the information. :)

PS I think the project is great, (in theory) I just want to know if I can and how to use it.

I know there are lots of threads already, but most of them seem geared towards other modders. (or seasoned Civ players of which I am a relative noob in comparison)

Please will you explain it to me as a player. I'd love to try this mod, but I am not an expert on XML by any means. (Learning it but thats not the point)

I'll give it a try. Others (rockinroger) may also want to fill in, because I am not clear on the 3.19 state :)

The reason why they are geared towards modders imo is because modders should build upon WoC. WoC itself is not a mod, it is a modding standard wich allows more flexibility in enabling or disabling certain parts of a mod.

That said, the WoC team created a lot of modules which are WoC compliant. The base WoC is just the standard whereas full WoC is the standard plus all submods created by the WoC team. So the full version is like a mod in that there is a lot of additional content.

What does this mod do for a player? How do I install and run it with diffferent mods.

You install it like any other mod, execute the installer or unzip the mod into <Civ4>\<BtS>\Mods.

As the 3.19 version is still being developed, I am not sure about there being an (up-to-date) installer.

If there is not, your best bet to get the latest version is the SVN at

https://worldofciv.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/worldofciv/World of Civilization 3.19/

There is an installer in https://worldofciv.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/worldofciv/Installer/ but I am not sure how recent it is.

As to running it with different mods, that is not that easy. You need a mod which is using the WoC xml format to be added. Usually you add sub-modules (e.g. new units, buildings, etc.) which have been converted to WoC and which you find in the SVN or various installers in it).

I am not aware of any big stand-alone mod which you should be adding. Those which use a WoC format already include the WoC dll and and the bigger the stand-alone mods you want to add, the more potential overlap between the different mods there will probably be - which you would have to resolve.

Is it playable now?

yes, but it is in beta, so there might be some hickups

How much memory will it need? Other specs?
Will it work with 1.5 GB of RAM ATI 128 Graphics and AMD 2600+ CPU?

difficult to say as it will depend on what / how many sub-mods you have installed. In general you should be ok, if you run into trouble you might want to disable some sub-mods however.

If not, will future versions?

see above, usually more stuff gets added rather than removed, so if it does not work now, it won't work tomorrow either, but as many parts can be disabled there should be a set of modules which fit into your specs.

Does it replace BTS or will I still have access to that if something goes wrong?

No mod replaces BtS, you can always just play regular BtS

Where are the instruction manuals? (for players)

Not sure there are any :)

Can I load other mods such as BAT / Planetfall? Can you mix and match mods or have I misunderstood that?

one at a time, not together. Mixing and matching mods works in theory, but less well for big mods (as described above) and only if they follow the WC xml format. To my knowledge this is not true for either BAT or Planetfall.

PS I think the project is great, (in theory) I just want to know if I can and how to use it.

I think it is great too, unfortunately it is slow in being finished for 3.19. Your best bet right now may be WoC lite which is a subset of WoC (just the WoC xml format, no other dll enhancements) and a mod which is based on it and in WoC compliant xml format.

Mine certainly is and I believe Quot Capita is also WoC compliant these days - maybe not entirely, i.e. you cannot enable / disable all things separately, it works with WoC Lite (which is included in RevDCM) however.

I'll give it a try. Others (rockinroger) may also want to fill in, because I am not clear on the 3.19 state :)

The reason why they are geared towards modders imo is because modders should build upon WoC. WoC itself is not a mod, it is a modding standard wich allows more flexibility in enabling or disabling certain parts of a mod.

That said, the WoC team created a lot of modules which are WoC compliant. The base WoC is just the standard whereas full WoC is the standard plus all submods created by the WoC team. So the full version is like a mod in that there is a lot of additional content.

You install it like any other mod, execute the installer or unzip the mod into <Civ4>\<BtS>\Mods.

As the 3.19 version is still being developed, I am not sure about there being an (up-to-date) installer.

https://worldofciv.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/worldofciv/World of Civilization 3.19/

There is an installer in https://worldofciv.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/worldofciv/Installer/ but I am not sure how recent it is.

As to running it with different mods, that is not that easy. You need a mod which is using the WoC xml format to be added. Usually you add sub-modules (e.g. new units, buildings, etc.) which have been converted to WoC and which you find in the SVN or various installers in it).

I am not aware of any big stand-alone mod which you should be adding. Those which use a WoC format already include the WoC dll and and the bigger the stand-alone mods you want to add, the more potential overlap between the different mods there will probably be - which you would have to resolve.

yes, but it is in beta, so there might be some hickups

difficult to say as it will depend on what / how many sub-mods you have installed. In general you should be ok, if you run into trouble you might want to disable some sub-mods however.

see above, usually more stuff gets added rather than removed, so if it does not work now, it won't work tomorrow either, but as many parts can be disabled there should be a set of modules which fit into your specs.

No mod replaces BtS, you can always just play regular BtS

Not sure there are any :)

one at a time, not together. Mixing and matching mods works in theory, but less well for big mods (as described above) and only if they follow the WC xml format. To my knowledge this is not true for either BAT or Planetfall.

I think it is great too, unfortunately it is slow in being finished for 3.19. Your best bet right now may be WoC lite which is a subset of WoC (just the WoC xml format, no other dll enhancements) and a mod which is based on it and in WoC compliant xml format.

Mine certainly is and I believe Quot Capita is also WoC compliant these days - maybe not entirely, i.e. you cannot enable / disable all things separately, it works with WoC Lite (which is included in RevDCM) however.

Thanks for your informative answers, I appreciate it very much.
I'll give a WoC lite a try (if I can find it! :) ) once I have reinstalled CIV4 which has gone horribly wrong at the moment and I'm not sure why.

https://worldofciv.svn.sourceforge.n...zation 3.19/

i'm trying to learn using SVN, but i'm not sure how to get the latest version downloaded. Shall I use "check out" from repository?
I'm trying to do the check out and point the URL to:

it's giving me a question mark saying "Usaully the trunk, a tag or a branch is check out. ..." etc(i'm using smartSVN 6.0.8 demo, first result from google:lol:). I don't know whether it is a correct operation so I stoped; I'm afraid my operation in mistake may mass up the repository.

and I'll appreciate if you can guide me to a easy SVN client download and some common operation; I don't have any idea about SVN before, and when I try to read wiki and help docs I found there're too many new terms to learn. After all what I want is just getting the lastest version. :lol:

i'm trying to learn using SVN, but i'm not sure how to get the latest version downloaded. Shall I use "check out" from repository?

Yes

I'm trying to do the check out and point the URL to:

it's giving me a question mark saying "Usaully the trunk, a tag or a branch is check out. ..." etc(i'm using smartSVN 6.0.8 demo, first result from google:lol:). I don't know whether it is a correct operation so I stoped; I'm afraid my operation in mistake may mass up the repository.

Nothing wrong with just checking out a branch (as long as you know that the branch you are checking out is all you need). I guess you get this warning since the program does not know whether you just check out a part of the repository on purpose or by accident.

I also only downloaded the 3.19 part of the repository, have not really used it yet though.

and I'll appreciate if you can guide me to a easy SVN client download and some common operation; I don't have any idea about SVN before, and when I try to read wiki and help docs I found there're too many new terms to learn. After all what I want is just getting the lastest version. :lol:

I do not really know all that many clients. Tortoise SVN seems to be widely used, whether this means it also is better than the rest is something I do not know :)

Once you have installed it, all you need to do is use the "SVN Update" from explorer's context (right mouse button) menu and point to the URL you want to use as root (i.e. the one you mentioned in your post).

Be aware that for every file you also get some additional info which the SVN uses to keep track of changes (i.e. when you want to upload changes to the repository or to check if there are updates in the repository), so do not use that dir as a mod dir directly (while it would work, it contains excess data).

Copy it into the CIV mods dir delete all .snv directories in it (use 'search' in explorer to find them all).

thank you mamba; i also changed to tortoiseSVN, and it seem to be more easier to use. the tortoise is now working hard grabing the bits down. :lol:

Top Bottom