Explain This

So I'm about 5 turns into a game, and my warrior stumbles upon this:

Screen Shot 2014-09-29 at 5.45.09 PM.jpg

Yeah, that's a Milanese settler stuck on a mountain. I'm hoping I can entice him to come down and join my work force. A free worker on turn 6 would be some sort of a record.

What I want to know is how in the #$^^& does this happen? Sadly, I don't speak Milanese, otherwise I'd sell him on the benefits of joining the ancient Incan empire.

I know there is at least 1 civ that can travel over mountains, but takes 50 damage if they finish there turn on the mountain. I guess that is the civ.

Edit: That is Carthage I'm thinking of, and it only possible after they gain a great general and after. Was this in multiplayer, or single player?

Turn 5 GG for Carthage... That's like three culture ruins? Even so there's no way Milan can climb on the mountain and capture the settler. Or capture the settler and then move onto the mountain. Are you using mods?

The shade looks like a city state so Carthage UU not a factor.
There are occasional graphics glitch though, try to get visibility of the tiles south of what looks like a mountain to confirm that the city state settler really is on a mountain. But it's really weird for a city state settler to not have founded in place on turn 0.

Perhaps there was a map script bug that placed the city state settler on the mountain?
If that is the case there will be a luxury within two tiles of that mountain, and a higher than normal chance for a strategic resource near it.

Isn't there one natural wonder which makes the hex next to it resemble a mountain? I'm going with that.

Once you settle nearby and expand your borders, the settler will be automatically pushed away outside your territory. You can probably capture it then, but I am not sure if it will count as destroying Milan.

Isn't there one natural wonder which makes the hex next to it resemble a mountain? I'm going with that.

Doesn't explain the 50 damage on the settler, which I'm guessing is from the mountain.

You can also check on Strategic View to make sure the settler really is on a mountain.

Good ideas all. I saved the game at that point and will go back and play around a bit to see what can be learned.

I often play on random maps (I like variety) and it appears that this map is the Highlands one, which is pretty glitchy already, so that may explain it.

I assumed the damage was from the mountain, but that's supposed to be 50 HP/turn, so the settler should be wiped out. The settler certainly is NOT from another civ.

I'll post screenshots tomorrow if they add any clarity.

No Mods. This is basic BNW game, just purchased about 90 days ago. Settlers on a mountain?

I'm tempted to play a few mock turns to see what it does.

It happens sometimes when you set a lot of civs and CS and a map and let 3 tiles to settle a city near another city.
There's probably an AI near this settler. So it spawned to tiles 3 tiles away an AI's settler. AIs play first and after it's CS's turn. The settler was not able to found Milan because, it is not 3 tiles away an AI city. This settler will idle until he dies or be capture by you.

The settler will take damage for every turn stuck on that mountain so it will disappear soon enough.

I think Memotyajar explanation above is the correct one.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd venture that a software company which puts a game out for release with a non-working multiplayer mode probably also had the capacity to write coding so bad that some poor settler gets stuck on a mountain.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

My guess : map glitch.
In BNW, certain map types seem to yield "mountains" where there are no actual mountains. What I mean is, its a bug where a mountain is displayed instead of whats really there (Swamp or floodplains).

I see this all the time on the "ancient lakes" map type. If you build an improvement (or city?) on that tile, it will appear to be on a mountain, while actually not.

Well, I replayed the start and once again found our unfortunate Milanese lost settler on the same mountain, on turn 5, also with about 50 HP of damage. This time, I stuck around for a turn and watched as he evaporated on turn 6, never to be seen again. Although our encounter was brief, I shall mourn the unfortunate fellow, who never got the chance to experience the pleasure of an Incan worker steal.

So, we can assume that he was planted there on turn zero and couldn't move off. This doesn't quite explain why he suffered no HP damage for the first 4 turns, however. Perhaps the tough little fellow put up a good fight, eating his fellow plane crash survivors for 4 turns, before finally giving in to the harsh elements of the brutal mountainous climate……but that could just be my imagination.

Contrary to speculation above, there were no other civs or CS within even 6 hexes, so that wasn't a factor.

Conclusion: 1. The programming is occasionally "sloppy". 2. Some map types are pretty glitchy. 3. Milanese are lousy explorers, but excellent cannibals.

Could you upload the turn 0 save here so we could take a look at this phenomenon

I think I finally figured out how to do this. This is the t1 save. I didn't save the t0. If you want to see the mountain-climbing Milanese, angle North by Northeast with the warrior.

View attachment Pachacuti_0001 BC-3960.Civ5Save

If you want to play it out, it's a fun map.

Spoiler :
If you go South quickly, there's a nice surprise.

Well, I replayed the start and once again found our unfortunate Milanese lost settler on the same mountain, on turn 5, also with about 50 HP of damage. This time, I stuck around for a turn and watched as he evaporated on turn 6, never to be seen again. Although our encounter was brief, I shall mourn the unfortunate fellow, who never got the chance to experience the pleasure of an Incan worker steal.

So, we can assume that he was planted there on turn zero and couldn't move off. This doesn't quite explain why he suffered no HP damage for the first 4 turns, however. Perhaps the tough little fellow put up a good fight, eating his fellow plane crash survivors for 4 turns, before finally giving in to the harsh elements of the brutal mountainous climate……but that could just be my imagination.

Contrary to speculation above, there were no other civs or CS within even 6 hexes, so that wasn't a factor.

Conclusion: 1. The programming is occasionally "sloppy". 2. Some map types are pretty glitchy. 3. Milanese are lousy explorers, but excellent cannibals.

What happened to the city state settler is identical to that which would have occurred if the city state had been placed too close to another major settler or city state settler.
The AI city state logic for settler only includes the option to settle immediately and does NOT have logic to move it. There's kill via damage logic via turn 5 and 6 which may have been the inspiration for the Carthage 50% mountain hit.

What happened to the city state settler is identical to that which would have occurred if the city state had been placed too close to another major settler or city state settler.
The AI city state logic for settler only includes the option to settle immediately and does NOT have logic to move it. There's kill via damage logic via turn 5 and 6 which may have been the inspiration for the Carthage 50% mountain hit.

OK, I'll buy that. It's consistent with what I've observed. I'm guessing that comes from the game code?

If I'm interpreting what you are saying correctly, if a CS settler spawns 5 hexes from me, and I move 1 hex towards him and settle on turn 1, the same thing would happen?

Still, it makes little sense for the game code to allow for spawning on a mountain (although it does explain the 1 or 2 occasions where I only met 15 CS).

My airplane crash theory shouldn't be completely ruled out, especially in 4000 BC, right?

Top Bottom