Exploration too easy?

Matthew49

Chieftain
I can move the warrior I started with all the way around the world no problem, even on a huge map, way before any civ would really explore that far away from its home in history. Does this bother anyone else? Is there a mod that prevents this by, for example, making units loose health every turn past a certain distance (and this distance would progressively increase throughout the ages)

There's this thing called raging barbarians.
Also, play harder modes. The harder it is, the stronger the barbarians are against humans.

My scouting units usually get killed or stalled by barbarians. Then by the time the barbarians are mostly dead the culture borders have sealed off areas. Exploration isn't to easy.

Yeah usually what prevents me from it as the people above said is raging barbs. I usually do a few turns of exploring with the warrior until I build a scout, then I send the warrior back to protect the capitol. The scouts usually get killed, sealed off, or sometimes sealed in by culture borders.

Depending on settings I don't always manage to explore the whole map early. But when it happens I don't have a problem with it. I usually feel that I earned it and the time line doesn't matter - it's always off with some things.

I have always been in favor of a supply line variable for that it irks me too. Perhaps the units might suffer attrition past there hex range and that range might increase with certain techs. Then that extra supple/range variable could be a hook for unique units as well Id spose

Adding supply line and attrition to your troops will make warmongering ridiculously much harder :( :(

But it is definitely a very interesting idea and realistic in real life also (a large part of war budget are for logistic supply). Maybe a good suggestion for Civ 6 feature?

I'm bored with exploration (yeah, jungle...). So, if it was harder, I would turtle more.

Same feeling as Sulomon.

I find exploration kind of stressful because I hate it when areas of the map are left uncovered, and I don't want the AI to block me off from exploring. (There's no guarantee they'll give me open borders.) I really miss map sharing...

Another solution, if your computer can handle it, is to play on a Huge map. That, plus raging barbs, plus AI border expansion with reluctance to trade Open Borders, plus waiting for Astronomy (if not on a Pangaea), will stall your exploration for sure.

Exploration doesn't always work since sometimes your explorer units (i.e. scout, minutemen) don't always get to explore an area since other civilizations can sometimes close off your units and not allow them to get out unless you sign open borders (which is a lot more expensive now in BNW than in BtS) with ais that don't always want to sign open borders. Exploring with optics can be helpful if your units have the embark promotion so that way exploration units won't get stuck in a culture trap.
Polynesia doesn't always suffer from these traps since wayfinding usually provides a default embark-like promotion to all units and +1 sight to embarked units. Exploring is even easier with Polynesia in water maps. In pangea maps, exploring could be easier..

Exploring with optics can be helpful if your units have the embark promotion so that way exploration units won't get stuck in a culture trap.

It's usefull to befriend a remote CS when optics is dicovered (by responding the quest most often) to obtain a right of passage, and give the exploring units the embarkation promotion if they are too far from the homeland.

Some kind of supply system could be interesting for civ VI, letting the range of both armies and scouts depend on roads, trade routes, stored food, local climate, available farms and social policies.

Maybe you have to choose if you armies plunder the lands they invade and there fore makes you hated by the local poppulation or if you move more slowly and wait for your supply wagons.

Exploration could be more based on moving along trade lines and visiting other cities, it is very strange that a expolerer (which often also would be a merchant or a diplomat) would not be welcomed (or able to sneak in to) a city of another civilization before 'inventing' the ability to have open borders.

Top Bottom