External Dvd drive that works for Civ 4?

Bluekimono

Chieftain
Hi all,

I’ve been merrily playing Civ 4 on my laptop using a disc for many years, but the laptop is now more of a scraptop. I just bought a new Win 10 laptop but like most new models it doesn’t include a DVD drive and, as I need that drive anyway to do other things, I’d like to buy an external DVD drive that would allow me to continue to play Civ 4 (and to a lesser extent Civ 5).

Any suggestions of external DVD drives that other players use successfully would be gratefully received (and yes I know you can also play Civ using Steam but I prefer not to!) I’ve read reviews for some but they’re far from clear on games compatibility questions, hence I’m asking people who know their Civ onions.

thank you :)

I happily use an LG Super Multi drive with no problems to run CIV from disc. However, I do not use Win 10. I prefer older systems so I don't know if the drive would be happy with Win 10. I run both Max OSX 10.6.8, which is many iterartions old and Win 7 using this drive. My system identifies the drive as HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GE24NU40, if that helps any. I also use the same drive to watch DVD movies and to burn CD and DVD ROMs for storage of data and CDs and DVDs to play in CD and DVD players.

I happily use an LG Super Multi drive with no problems to run CIV from disc. However, I do not use Win 10. I prefer older systems so I don't know if the drive would be happy with Win 10. I run both Max OSX 10.6.8, which is many iterartions old and Win 7 using this drive. My system identifies the drive as HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GE24NU40, if that helps any. I also use the same drive to watch DVD movies and to burn CD and DVD ROMs for storage of data and CDs and DVDs to play in CD and DVD players.

Thanks Bernbaum, I’d need to check compatibility with my OS as you point out. I’m not finding that LG drive available online atm but will keep looking. In the meantime, any other recommendations for tried and trusted drives would be very welcome!

Thanks Bernbaum, I’d need to check compatibility with my OS as you point out. I’m not finding that LG drive available online atm but will keep looking. In the meantime, any other recommendations for tried and trusted drives would be very welcome!

I've had the drive for several years, so it may have been replaced by a later model from LG. I bought it from Best Buy, if that helps any.

Top Bottom