Extract GR2 to Blender with mesh AND skeleton and re-export to GR2

Woah, why haven't I heard about this before.

This should make the workflow so much easier. How come we stil just have a bunch of civ 4 unit ports instead of edits of civ 5 ones? Are the textures exportable, too?

If I work in 3ds max, can I export from blender to it with no issues?

Woah, why haven't I heard about this before.

This should make the workflow so much easier. How come we stil just have a bunch of civ 4 unit ports instead of edits of civ 5 ones? Are the textures exportable, too?

If I work in 3ds max, can I export from blender to it with no issues?

I've been wondering that too. I am accustomed for a workflow with 3dsmax, is there a way of doing this with 3dsMax?

Is there a way just to import a single simple mesh into the game? My model has no animation nor skeleton and I (for now) am content with just be able to put it into the game and let it "slide" during combat. Can anyone help me? I would put up my model (in blend) and please someone help me / show me how to convert it.

Is there a way just to import a single simple mesh into the game?

If you read the tutorial at the start of this post it should give you all the info you need. You will need to at least use a template file to get scale and facing right even if you are not going to rig it to a skeleton. I don't think you can have a unit without animation as it uses animation just to be idle on the screen. I may be wrong, you can delete all the animation references out of the *.fxsxml file and see what happens. You will also need a root bone for placement. Check this tutorial out as well its a bit out of date but it most of it is still relevant.

Sorry for the late response. I had some family issues to attend to.

I am still having the same problem with the skeletons. They are all twisting the same way as before. I have no idea what to do any more.

If someone could post some new templates I would be really grateful and promise some new units for the roster.

I mostly need a pikeman, longbowman, and huscarl.

pikeman, longbow templates? huscarl is from the dlc right? i forget

Yes, pikeman, longbow templates and yes huscarl is from the dlc, dont remember from which one but it is a Saxon unit.

I have the meshes ready. Just need the templates for rigging.

Thank you Ekmek for the timely reponse.

I got a crash of the game while testing my leader in the game.

Ok. Don't rotate skeleton. Rotate meshes and then all be perfect.

Strange. I added shaders, but I don't see my lh is shaderd.

I was having a go at creating a template for the pikeman and I am not getting a clean export to nb2 either. The bones for the arms are in the wrong place but the mesh is right. In the pics below the bone in the original gr2 is in a different position to the nb2. Weird as nb2 works perfectly for most units but there must be something different about these ones.

Attachments

• Pikeman bone original.jpg
    Pikeman bone original.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Pikeman bone blender.png
    Pikeman bone blender.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 95
hmmm that might explain our helicopter issue to. the helo rotated but nb2 fixed it but these ones worked fine on older versions. I wonder if making a nb2 on an older version of nexusbuddy would help. I'll try this weekend if no one beats me to it.

I wonder also if the old smd way may make a better template

I mostly need a pikeman, longbowman, and huscarl.

Those templates still exists! Danrell made this for us. ;)

I think we need Worker, Settler or Cavalry templates first.
I'm not able to handle with Deliverator's NexusBuddy2.0_beta6. It doesn't work here.

So if someone could be so kind make new templates, would be Great.

Great idea Ekmek. I was able to get a clean export with NexusBuddy2.0_beta5a.:)
Here is link to blend

So the NB2 export from beta 5 using the old C++ code seems to work in some cases where the new C# only code doesn't. Interesting. Perhaps I should keep both flavours of NB2 export in the tool. I have noticed that quite a few units have skeleton issues with the newer version of the NB2 export code.

Great idea Ekmek. I was able to get a clean export with NexusBuddy2.0_beta5a.:)
Here is link to blend

Thank You Wolfdog. :thanx:

Those templates still exists! Danrell made this for us.

I think we need Worker, Settler or Cavalry templates first.
I'm not able to handle with Deliverator's NexusBuddy2.0_beta6. It doesn't work here.

So if someone could be so kind make new templates, would be Great.

I greatly appreciate Danrell's hard work to make his templates for the civ community but the templates taken directly from the civ 5 units gives a much cleaner animation. Some civilian templates would be great!!

So the NB2 export from beta 5 using the old C++ code seems to work in some cases where the new C# only code doesn't. Interesting. Perhaps I should keep both flavours of NB2 export in the tool. I have noticed that quite a few units have skeleton issues with the newer version of the NB2 export code.

I think that may explain the issue I was having. Nice find Ekmek. And Thank you Deliverator for your hard work towards making this all possible.

So... been reading here, I see you guys managed to get models with more than one mesh imported and exported into the game with some odd tricks, but within the thread I got lost to be honest... What exactly does one need for more than one meshed models?

It seemed to handle it one time I exported it. Other than that you have to do the append skeleton thing

Ok... so, what's the append skeleton thing?

Ok... So I was using danrell's Spearman template, and I ran into an odd issue I can't seem to fix... no matter what I do the model is invisible ingame... I've tried re-exporting and double checked everything, but can't find the issue... Something interesting is that the .blend file I made doesn't seem to be able of being exported to BR2 (I was using fbx, but as one attempt to fix the invisibility I decided I'd try with BR2, and can't even export it so) So, mind giving a hand here?

Attachments

• Vulture.rar
    172.9 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom