1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fall 2017 Start Position Fix 3

Fixes AssignStartingPlots.lua from the Fall 2017 update.

1. BWS

BWS Big Bradd Wolfe

@UglyBoy I finally got some time to investigate the starting plots script. Nice work on your mod! I started working on my own mod that goes further than just fixing the obvious bugs in the starting script. I took the approach that I mentioned above here, of weighting starts according to how closely they follow the balancing rules & distances. I am not quite ready to release it on Steam Workshop & CivFanatics, but you are welcome to check out my civ6-capslock repository on github for the work in progress. Hit the download button to get a zipfile that you can unpack in your mods directory.

Update: I posted the mod to the CivFanatics resources and Steam Workshop.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. BWS

BWS Big Bradd Wolfe

I hear that there’s a hotfix out today for the map script problem. Anybody take a look at it yet? I’m still at work.

3. BWS

BWS Big Bradd Wolfe

@UglyBoy The official hotfix looks very similar to your mod. There is an additional bit where they split the self:__MinorCivBuffer() method into two separate parts (one for minor-major and one for minor-minor). But overall it looks like the initial version of your mod. I don't think they even caught the problem you did where the function returns garbage if there is no good fallback.

4. Smity2k1

Smity2k1 Chieftain

UglyBoy and BWS - thanks for all your work getting these fixes (and information!) out to us players better than the official dev team can :)

5. UglyBoy

UglyBoy Pseudo Impossible

6. UglyBoy

UglyBoy Pseudo Impossible

Finally got around the looking at this, and I thought the same thing. At least they fixed their most obvious bug. I am not sure why they would risk making changes to the MinorCivBuffer routine when they have tried to fly this patch under the radar.

BWS likes this.
  7. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Just came across this, using this mod, I don't think it's working perfectly.

upload_2017-12-28_9-50-23.png

8. BWS

BWS Big Bradd Wolfe

Thanks for the report! Do you have a map seed? I have occasionally seen results like this too, especially on maps with limited space like Island Plates. I think it's a consequence of city states having smaller buffer zones. The end result is that sometimes they end up in regions that are technically big enough to satisfy the rules but a little too tight to really settle all of them. I have some ideas that could prevent it & a test case for debugging would be helpful.

9. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

@BWS I have uploaded Scrambled South Pacific onto Steam → https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1243735882 (Friends only RN)
    It's 80% of the map, but enough to test stuff. In fact it's faster to test stuff on a partial map. I learnt that doing TSL United Nations :D

It's quite a big "tiny islands" map ~200x100. Start locations are crazy. FYI.