Fall Out Further (W.I.P.)

Deon

Lt. of Mordor
Greetings! I've started to work on a modmod for Davidlallen's Fury Road which is based on Fallout setting, but I didn't want to use fuel and other features, a new and big tech tree and I had to make a lot of SDK changes to integrate most ideas I had.
I am a dabbling coder (mainly because I don't have time to model, draw, edit xml and code SDK and Python at the same time with all the university and family/work stuff).

So I decided to rework FFH instead, and Fall Further has most features I can use for it.
At first, 3 types of barbarians (animals, raiders and mutants) are already here (animals, savage and demons). And concepts are great.

The only thing I am not sure about is the magical tech path. For now I turn all mages into symbionts - a mutant people who may use special augmentations and psionic power to be able to use pyrokinesis and other "magical" abilities. I will work on moving from magery to tech abilities later, but for now it's here.
Mana becomes some "nanites" feature or something like that, raw mana pieces = places of former high-tech laboratories where you can build special nodes to convert pure nanites (like stem cells) into an appropriate form.

I used this replacement for now:
Melee -> Shock troops. Infantry which is great at direct attacks and close combat.
Ranged -> Barrage troops. Great at defences and ranged attacks. Cover makes sense.
Mounted -> Mobile troops
Siege -> Artillery
Arcane -> Symbionts
Divine -> scholar. Not sure about their "divine" nature, but priests of religions will have to stay :).

I use SeZereth's units: warrior - shotgun guy, axeman - flamethrower, champion - power armor; archer - guardian (a guy with a long rifle); longbowman - machinegunner; crossbowman - heavy weapon (a guy with a rocket launcher); horseman - horseman survivor, horse archer - humvee, knight - mobile infantry.
Hunter - crossbowman survivor.

For now I want to keep the FFH/FF gameplay with the new "graphical", lore and naming adjustments. I will use my own post-apocalyptical buildings for replacement and probably will make a few city styles soon. I use "bombed cities" from the Civ4 downloads as barbarian cityset.

This is W.I.P. and will require some serious time.
I replaced animals: wolf - wild dogs; bear - deathclaw; spider = spider.
I replaced demons: skeleton - feral ghoul (drown graphics with new tex).
I replaced savages: goblin - zombie; muris goblin - infected; orc warrior - punk axeman; orc axeman - raider; goblin wolfrider - punk biker.

I chose to depict the hyborem as "Master" and demons as "mutants"; the hell terrain is going to be a corrupted/mutated terrain, and the master's goal is to "assimilate" the world. I haven't thought out the Mercurians part, probably some highly fanatical androids.
Ah yeah, undead now = cyborg; this means that Scions become a cyborg race which require no food but some organical components (health).
Thus holy damage becomes EMP or something like that.

There's a lot of things to rethink. I kept the same tech tree (but removed the map trading until the late game and used the proposed exploration tweaks, like only recon units revealing a 1 tile around the plot to decrease the map exploration, mostly just XML work).

Currently I start to convert civilizations, and here I need your help.
For me Bannor make a perfect "Vault city" civ (I will find out a better name) as a "purist" war-mongering civ; Calabim = slavers, with cities like a battle grounds, with their high-ranked troops practicing on their own citizens (feast) and nobility holding the right. I will rework these 2 nations first and then go on to others. I've already started a work on Linette (1st citizen) leaderhead.

I need ideas on converting the other civilizations to leave their flavor. Malakim seems to be a great base for "Far Go Traders".

Also I understand that with such a complicated system as FFH it's impossible to stand close to Canon, thus novative ideas are welcome.

Currently I have too much work on my hands, with all new buildings, unique features etc. graphics. I didn't start to learn animations for units yet, but I think I'll have to do it.

Also suggestions on religions are welcome. I have to replace some religion with the church of hubology, I am not sure which one. Also it's pretty clear that Ashen Veil becomes the "Master's teachings". "Fellowship of the Leaves" becomes a "Seeds of Life" religion, with mostly the same benefits (forests become "green" from barren ones, thanks for the seeds from a god-tree (poor Harold :))). "Order" may stay with a few tweaks to represent order-oriented nations with no respect to other churches/powers, but a sheer police state-like control. Also I wanted to implement Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave as power churches, but instead I'd better make them civs, although maybe they could become rival "corporations", I am not sure about their mechanics yet.

Planned civs:
- New California Republic (NCR): shady sands; ...
- Huns (raiders; peace with barbarian)
- Supermutants <find out a better civ name> (at peace with the master; replace Sheaim; also exploding flamethrower as a pyre zombie makes sense)
- Gangster Families: New Reno, Golgotha, Sierra, ...
- Shi
- Commonwealth (mostly androids, Scions)
- Brotherhood of Steel
- Enclave

Thus any ideas are welcome. As much input as possible is welcome too :D.

P.S. At first I will make a total conversion of FF. Then I will start to move in a different direction. Wish me good luck and to have a free time (and an ability to fool my wife :D) to finish it.

P.P.S Also I will for sure use the Odalrick's modular python change, thus I will be able to convert any modular components for FF too. I've already changed the fort commander graphics and avaliable promotions + fort/castle/citadel graphics to depict the post-apocalyptic era.

Here's the city art I use for barbarians:
Spoiler :

And terrain:
Spoiler :

I will change the oceans though. I thought that slimy oceans would be cool, but they appeared to be too green to look like a water.

Also I've started to rework the tech tree from early techs.

I.E. Festivals tech offer trading post (market) and open stage (carnival) buildings. I used the bar building for a tavern:
Spoiler :

I plan to start from the Hippus instead of other nations. Tasunke will use the Peter from Fury Road graphics (a man in a motorcycle helmet); they will be a group of mercenaries who are crazy about cars and vehicles. Horselord is replaced by "engine tuning" which adds movement and other bonuses to mobile troops, however it will not affect horsemen (no engine here, sorry :D) thus they will be less powerful in the early game (at least until "horse archer" equivalent). Maybe it's a good balance change, maybe not.

I see Balseraph as a bunch of crazy outcasts, raiders and goths which are obsessive with mad arts, apocalyptic music, freaks and a "beauty" of the dying world. They don't go along with other raiders because they think that they are "above" them, more cultured and kill/wage war not for a loot, but for an art of it. I easily depict Perpentach/Keelyn as a sweet pair like Joker/Harley Quinn.

By the way, here's the main menu background:
Spoiler :

I think this is a brilliant idea. Xienwolf has done so much dll work here, I'd love to see how it adapts to a completely different setting. I think FF's base could be used for so many things, and this looks like a fun way to prove that concept.

The planetfall mod for example, has quite a few unsolvable problems, like the inability to build kelp on improvements. Which could be solved if it were using FF's base, because we have spells for that sort of thing. Also, autoaquire promotions are the most insanely useful and adaptable idea I've seen in a while.

look forward to seeing your progress

I think you could perhaps get away with keeping most of the faction names. It can be like an alternate future, erebus in a post apocalyptic scenario. There's nothing inherently time specific about "hippus", so having them keep that name would be fun, I think. Athough having them weak in the early game seems odd. Maybe they should get earlier access to cars and motorbikes than other civs ?

The only thing I am not sure about is the magical tech path. For now I turn all mages into symbionts - a mutant people who may use special augmentations and psionic power to be able to use pyrokinesis and other "magical" abilities. I will work on moving from magery to tech abilities later, but for now it's here.
Mana becomes some "nanites" feature or something like that, raw mana pieces = places of former high-tech laboratories where you can build special nodes to convert pure nanites (like stem cells) into an appropriate form.
maybe rework the magic path as a pure research/cybernetics/biology path. it fits since the scions have such reliance on it

I chose to depict the hyborem as "Master" and demons as "mutants"; the hell terrain is going to be a corrupted/mutated terrain, and the master's goal is to "assimilate" the world. I haven't thought out the Mercurians part, probably some highly fanatical androids.
Ah yeah, undead now = cyborg; this means that Scions become a cyborg race which require no food but some organical components (health).
Thus holy damage becomes EMP or something like that.

it seems more like UNHOLY damage should become EMP if the good guys are going to be androids. Holy damage should be acid, useful against mutants

Well, I will think something better later. For now I am mostly concerned with the general replacement of lore/graphics. It's a thin matter, with all kinds of magic damage provided.

I think that Hippus may get a UU instead of horseman, i.e. biker, thus they will have their promotion applied to it :).

Also, autoaquire promotion system is maybe the main reason I've started from FF. It's a huge design and gameplay breakthrough and I feel it's wrong to neglect its importance with all the new possibilities around :).

I easily depict Perpentach/Keelyn as a sweet pair like Joker/Harley Quinn.

Are you going to use any of the Fury Road Lore? The closest analogue to the Belseraphs in Fury Road is probably The House of Usher.

I may use some pedia entries because they are good and may fit as well. I will need a native english speaker anyway because my english is not great and I need someone to compose and correct my text. However the Pedia is not a primary target.

You should post again in that old thread, they think it's dead right now.

You mean the fury road one? I will post it once I have a playable version :). I don't want to cause too much hype before I release something to test.

Also I've converted Hippus, everything except for the arcane line.

By the way, if you don't know, here's my Brotherhood of Steel leaderhead:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12284

I've found a solution for the Horselord promo, to allow it to affect horsemen AND vehicles. It's called "offroad driving", and for me it's a nice name for a "+1 movement; +10% retreat odds" effect.

I picked the Blue Marble water texture after different attempts.

I would be willing to help out here. I can do hum drum xml and basic python (getting better). This is really amazing as I was thinking that Fury Road would play perfectly with the FF/FfH base. If you have any grunt work to do, I will be happy to do it for you. :)

I use SeZereth's units: warrior - shotgun guy, axeman - flamethrower, champion - power armor; archer - guardian (a guy with a long rifle); longbowman - machinegunner; crossbowman - heavy weapon (a guy with a rocket launcher); horseman - horseman survivor, horse archer - humvee, knight - mobile infantry.
Hunter - crossbowman survivor.

Do you have unit art for a guy in power armour? I've been looking for something like that.

Isit the dune Wars Sardaukar, or something different ?

I would be willing to help out here. I can do hum drum xml and basic python (getting better). This is really amazing as I was thinking that Fury Road would play perfectly with the FF/FfH base. If you have any grunt work to do, I will be happy to do it for you. :)

Thanks :). I will finish a few civs and try to look how it works. I may use your python knowledge and I will share the version so we could think something better out together.

Do you have unit art for a guy in power armour? I've been looking for something like that.

Isit the dune Wars Sardaukar, or something different ?
I recolored SeZereth's Bounty Hunters.
Spoiler :

There're two units, in the middle and the next to the left.
I don't know how does Sardukar in Dunewars look like, if you have the mod installed provide a screenshot please; if not, I'll check it out by myself.

You may want to use the DLL I release in a few days, rather than FF's.

For one thing, I merged RouteNative, so you can have a unit only able to move on certain routes... I can see a supply wagon, only able to move on Roads, and able to serve as a commander granting a free unit promotion to minions....

You're going for 3D leaderheads ?

They're a neat thing, sure. But all the firaxis leaderheads have a cartoony caricatured look to them. And since most things are modified from those, pretty much every 3D leaderhead in existence has some of that.

Static 2D art, although it is.. well, static, is far more flexible, in terms of the kinds of characters you can express. You can find a perfect picture in a few minutes. Not all leaders make sense doing silly hand gestures whenever you pose a peace treaty.

I'd personally advise not using 3D leaderheads, but it's your call

I've never been a fan of the 3D leader art. I tends to look sillily cartoonish, which is inappropriate for a serious mod like FfH. It also to significantly slow down the game as the diplomacy screen takes longer to load and sometimes freezes up.

While your Tasunke leaderhead isn't too bad, but I really don't like the Rhoanna one.

3D Leaderhead Art is so... bad. It's always easy to see what original leaderhead they were pulled from, and you end up with "Alexander in a different helmet" or something. Much prefer the way FFH/FF does it.

I agree with MC and Ice.

Also, the Sardaukar is a ripped and readjusted space marine. I'm doing a little work with similar things just now. I might have some unit art for you to play with soon.

I thought I'd go for 3d leaderheads, the main reason that they are made in the same "style". I agree that they are cartoonish (the main problem is an oversized head), so if we could find appropriate 2d art for the leaders which are drawn in the same style, I'd be happy. For now admit it as placeholders :).

P.S. I could draw them by myself but it would be at the end of the dev. schedule.

Top Bottom