Fall Patch

Frossa

Prince
I read on Steam that the latest patch was a forerunner to an upcoming Fall Balance Patch. I haven't heard of this anywhere else, so I only assume a Fall Patch is an annual update (seeing how we got one in 2012 as well).
Is this true?

Devs confirmed that there would be a Fall Patch in a stream shortly after BNW was released. All we know so far is that Germany and Japan will see changes, though judging by the first Fall Patch we can probably expect the game to get harder.

...probably expect the game to get harder.

I really really hope so. You know the devs dropped the ball entirely when you see noobs (no offense to nnobs, we were all noobs once) beating deity.

The whole diplo VC thing is fantastically moronic, and CV is not much better.

It's called Autumn.

The English may be English but at least they gave us all a decent language.

'Fall' is what leafs do from trees. It's like something Hiawatha would think up.

Sorry.

It's called Autumn.

'Fall' is what leafs do from trees. It's like something Hiawatha would think up.

Sorry.
I agree, but it gets referred to as the Fall Patch, so I'm going to call it that.

It's called Autumn.

Sorry.

But "Have a nice trip, see you next Autumn" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

According to the Central-european time zone, it has been Fall for 2 and a half hours now. So where is the patch?

It's called Autumn.

Sorry.

I think Fall being used in American English is probably a reference to Daylight Savings Time? "Spring" forward when the days get longer and "Fall" back when they get shorter.

Also pfff at the idea of English being a decent language. I'm no linguist but it's one of the most screwed up languages in the world, and the fact that everyone has to speak it because the dominant commercial superpower has been one of two English-speaking countries for the past 400 years or so is proof that history loves to torture people. :lol:

It's called Autumn.

First of all, I agree that the word "Autumn" is preferable since it is universally recognized, and this is a game with an international user base.

However, I take issue with the details of your reprimand. The use of the word "Fall" to refer to the season of Autumn or Harvest is from the English. "Fall" was standard in Britain (or at least in England) during the 18th century, which is when the American colonies began to flourish. However, "Autumn" became more common in Britain and usage of the two words were roughly equal by 1780 or 1800. By then, American English had become resistant to changes back in the homeland.

http://etymonline.com/index.php?term=fall&allowed_in_frame=0

http://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...00&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=

NB: the Google Ngram uses a case sensitive search, so by capitalizing Fall and Autumn, I think the bulk of the results will be in reference to the season. However, the results for Fall will be overrepresented due to sentences which begin with the word, and due to religious texts which discuss "The Fall" of Adam and Eve.

The other caution is that as the American population exploded, the number of American publications increased as well, so the later decades of the graph will over represent "Fall" simply because of the large volume of US publishing.

Okay, now that is out of the way, I look forward to the new patch, and hope it balances some of the older civs with respect to the newer ones.

I got nothing to contribute regarding the fall patch, but there are some new entries for CiV V DLC.

http://steamdb.info/app/8930/#section_dlc

Far from an expert on these matters, ill leave it up to someone else to try and figure out if these last two entires actually mean anything.

Also pfff at the idea of English being a decent language. I'm no linguist but it's one of the most screwed up languages in the world, and the fact that everyone has to speak it because the dominant commercial superpower has been one of two English-speaking countries for the past 400 years or so is proof that history loves to torture people. :lol:

English became the Lingua Franca during the industrial revolution (so 400 years is a bit of an exaggeration), as Britain spread its culture and language through colonialism. After that it was scientific and technical advancement (Britain and America) that made English the dominant language rather than commercial interests. Suddenly any culture that wanted to be current in science or technology had to learn English.

It's called Autumn.

'Fall' is what leafsLEAVES do from trees. It's like something Hiawatha would think up.

Sorry.

:stupid: ...People who can spell their stuff right are generally a lot more convincing. Not trying to troll, just saying...

It's called Autumn.

Sorry.

Yep. Brits call it Autumn whilst Americans call it Fall. Dunno about Canadians nor Australians (and other English speaking nations). We shouldn't get into the differentiates of words here.

'nuff said

This thread is surely on topic? :crazyeye:

Going to discuss the Autumn Patch? :hide:
:p

I would like to see something done with Austria. Venice is an interesting addition, but when it is in the game, it pretty much neutralizes Austria's UA.

Has the animation for Great War Bombers been sped up yet? It was painfully slow before BNW, and I haven't played far enough to reach that era.

:p

I would like to see something done with Austria. Venice is an interesting addition, but when it is in the game, it pretty much neutralizes Austria's UA.

Has the animation for Great War Bombers been sped up yet? It was painfully slow before BNW, and I haven't played far enough to reach that era.

I'd say that as Austria has the advantage to found cities, it seems quite balanced.

I got nothing to contribute regarding the fall patch, but there are some new entries for CiV V DLC.

http://steamdb.info/app/8930/#section_dlc

Far from an expert on these matters, ill leave it up to someone else to try and figure out if these last two entires actually mean anything.

Seems that there's a good chance we'll have DLC then...

All of you are wrong for Christ's sake.

It's the Spring Patch for us Southern Hemisphericians.

Top Bottom