Fall Patch

Surely after three years we're all used to the notion that the balance patches only exist to market DLC.

Hopefully they have focused on fixing the many many problem with BNW and will actually balance things.

The last thing we need is another civ, I mean is 43 not enough?

Just say no to adding content before fixing the current content...

Just say no to adding content before fixing the current content...

I'm wholeheartedly expecting that. It makes common sense, after all they balanced vanilla and G&K at least once. The good thing is that fixes to bugs and crashes are being done on a separate line of work, at least that is the impresion I have due to patch release comments.

Not really. It's still one of (the?) largest patch that Civ V has received, and was done with nary a penny attached to it.

Of course, I'm all for the idea of new civs so I'd be happy either way.

Not much official info on the Fall Patch yet I think? What is it that is official so far?

Germany and Japan are getting new UAs as well as implementing sounds into the game instead of replacing 'em

They're gonna replace Bushido?! I sure hope whatever Japan's new UA is, it's equally good, but that's unlikely :undecide:

"Japan's UA is OP", says Devs. "We're also changing Germany." Otaman spewed out his soft drink and burped, "AWESOME?!"

Ohey, there's apparently two more unknown DLC slots for the game on Steam? Yum, I do think once BNW is refined and polished and the game is finished to that point that a few DLC civs with interesting mechanics would definitely be nice. Now that the developers definitely have a good grasp on their game and how to make cool things out of it, I'd definitely be interested to see what kinds of ideas they can come up separate from BNW.

Ohey, there's apparently two more unknown DLC slots for the game on Steam? Yum, I do think once BNW is refined and polished and the game is finished to that point that a few DLC civs with interesting mechanics would definitely be nice. Now that the developers definitely have a good grasp on their game and how to make cool things out of it, I'd definitely be interested to see what kinds of ideas they can come up separate from BNW.

So if there's 2 spots left should we be taking bets?

Iraq and Iran?

Sudan and South Sudan?

Vietnam and Kongo?

Israel and Palestine?

Canada and Australia? /trollface.

I've been thinking of getting BNW but with the patch out soon maybe just wait a bit longer for the kinks to we worked out...I still need to try G&K on levels above emporer so it's not like there are not things to do. What do you all think will I be better to wait (I only got G&K last Feb on sale)? I do enjoy empire building but now that I'm on emporer I've been having fun taking everyone's home cities once they start to annoy me before the modern era gets going (I play marathon huge maps) and I gather the late game is already imporved, it sounds like there is more to do in the late game than just pound the AI's into the stone age?

I've been thinking of getting BNW but with the patch out soon maybe just wait a bit longer for the kinks to we worked out...I still need to try G&K on levels above emporer so it's not like there are not things to do. What do you all think will I be better to wait (I only got G&K last Feb on sale)? I do enjoy empire building but now that I'm on emporer I've been having fun taking everyone's home cities once they start to annoy me before the modern era gets going (I play marathon huge maps) and I gather the late game is already imporved, it sounds like there is more to do in the late game than just pound the AI's into the stone age?
I would say that early game is harder because gold is harder to come by, but it balances out with generally more peaceful AI, and you'll probably find early warfare more desperate because nobody will be in a position to just buy armies or settlers.

Mid-game you begin to truly see the benefits of trade routes, by then you'll have several, most barbarians will have been wiped out by then and in general the game just feels more alive.
The AI will still label you as a warmonger if you raze an invader's Lvl 2 city to the ground that was within your city limits, so that's why provocation wars are advised. Basically you pay a warmonger that you're friendly with to go to war with an opponent of yours for you. You get better deals now because said warmongers probably don't have a great economy so they NEED your GPT, and this way, the possible runaway is your friend while everyone else hates him.

Late game, to me anyway, is much more fun now.
After Flight, I used to just lose the will to keep playing, but now, the World Congress is a legit way to screw over the competition and cripple other players outside of war.
It only gets better with the ideologies. If you're lucky enough to follow one that your allies have, then its you and them against the other ideologies in a Cold War scenario.

To show you:
In my Portugal game (first BNW game) myself and Venice chose Freedom. Brazil, Assyria and Indonesia chose Autocracy, and the other 4 chose Order.

The Order civs first ganged up on Indonesia, wiping it out, then moved onto Assyria, with the Zulus taking most of its cities.

Things got... messy after that....

It was 10 turns until the World Leader vote, with me sitting on winning by about 8 votes. I was DoW'd by the Shosone, Morocco, Zulus and Poland at once, and all the City States were being destroyed. I saved and liberated what ones I could but with 2 turns until the vote I had to pay Venice to DoW Morocco and the two of us wiping him out.
With Morocco gone, and me salvaging enough city states from occupation, I narrowly clinched the World Leader position.... with 3 other civs still at war with me... lol.

So if there's 2 spots left should we be taking bets?

Iraq and Iran?

Sudan and South Sudan?

Vietnam and Kongo?

Israel and Palestine?

Canada and Australia? /trollface.

If they do intend to release DLC civs, first and foremost I think they should be some sort of "legacy pack" or two, composing the six or so civs that've been in previous Civ games. Namely, the Hittites, Sumer, Khmer, Sioux, Mali, and the Holy Roman Empire. The last two I could take or leave, considering a heavy overlap with the Songhai and Austria respectively, but those first four I think are good inclusions. Honestly I'm surprised Wonders of the Ancient World didn't come with the first two, given they got scenario colors and icons and unique unit models. Though I guess since leader art and models, alongside getting people who speak those ancient languages is easily one of the hardest parts of development and they didn't want to do that. I suppose if they would all be separate, making a Wonders of the Ancient World Deluxe scenario would be a good package for those first two, then maybe the Khmer would make some sort of southeast Asian scenario? And maybe that Conquest of the New World Deluxe could be made reality if included with the Sioux.

As for new civs, I do think a separate "Modern Nations" pack with a 1900s scenario would be a good idea, and there's a whole bunch of assorted ones that I could name, but that'd get into a whole different thread that would be better suited. ^^;

Late game, to me anyway, is much more fun now.
After Flight, I used to just lose the will to keep playing, but now, the World Congress is a legit way to screw over the competition and cripple other players outside of war.
It only gets better with the ideologies. If you're lucky enough to follow one that your allies have, then its you and them against the other ideologies in a Cold War scenario.

Yes I often quit now once I see victory is assured (unless I'm trying to pick up an achievement which I seldom bother to do other than when going up a level).

Sounds fun, I used to use diplomatic victory as a crutch but as I got better at the game I found I could win much sooner most times, the game you describe sounds fun.

Maybe I'll take the plunge tonight (have to wait until after midnight for good download speeds) I guess I can always go back to G&K if I get frustrated before the patch comes out. I do need to go to those higher levels but now I'm getting a bit bored the AI is just not very good at war though being able to crank out a lot of units helps it a bit, once I get some units leveled up that's pretty much it...maybe they gang up on you a bit more above emporer, but BNW is maybe looking more balanced in things to do.

Thanks for the response.

Top Bottom