Famous Korean civ youtuber discusses Sejong controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy in the video even said in one of his replies that he doesn't think Korea is weak civ... problem is unlike Frederick and Ludwig there is not much difference between Sejong and Seondok.
Honestly what might need to be done is replace the cultural bonuses for Seondeok with faith because of her connections to astrology and Buddhism. It's simple and would differentiate the two a little. Or replace the science bonuses with faith and keep the culture because it's supposed to represent the Hwarang? :dunno:

A Sinologist 'friend of mine' in Thailand did honor King Sejong as 'Great King of Korea' for being a person who invented / authorized Hangeul Script with his original goal to induce literacy amongs his people. Note that Literacy is a must in Sinic World where Korea had been a 'member' of.

This is so childish. Somehow, a leader ability that you deem "boring" is an attack on the people and culture of Korea as a whole. How absurd!

There are plenty of "boring" abilities in the game. Sometimes a leader or civilization is a hit and becomes a favorite and sometimes it's a miss and doesn't work out as envisioned. Oh, well. That's just how it is.

This is so childish. Somehow, a leader ability that you deem "boring" is an attack on the people and culture of Korea as a whole. How absurd!

There are plenty of "boring" abilities in the game. Sometimes a leader or civilization is a hit and becomes a favorite and sometimes it's a miss and doesn't work out as envisioned. Oh, well. That's just how it is.
This is such an alien mindset to me, getting upset over Civ. The way my background’s civilization is represented was not to my liking either (just because I found it boring and it didn’t gel with my playstyle) but I never once felt the need to rile people up about it and accuse the devs of purposefully trying to disrespect me personally.

I really just don’t get it. I feel bad for the devs on this one—it must feel like “damned if we do, damned if we don’t” sometimes.

it must feel like “damned if we do, damned if we don’t” sometimes.
Indeed it is difficult, and partly everything is open to criticism one side or the other. We have sent plenty of critics to “flat” bonuses, and several of the critics / alternates to Sejong ability are flat bonuses themselves, maybe with a bit of trade-off to the Seowong puzzle (that is also criticised by being so easy and boring -> I do not see how adding just a bonus to the malus the Seowon has to make its gameplay slightly interesting is really an improvement)

On the other hand we have critics Sejong ability has a lot of micro, and critics to it only triggers 6 times in the game. I think these two balance themselves out and are what makes Sejong actually a different experience: instead of little eforts during the game to exploit the leader ability, here you have 6 “events” you can plan, you have to work for, and which provide a “big” reward (and if not big enough, that’s just tweaking the % number). That difference is what I like of the ability, even if the rest of it, and the rest of the game may be a bit duller, you play Sejong to get these six “management adrenaline” rushes you won’t have (or will be more random) with other leaders. And its just six because the level of micro required would be boring to maintain the entire game.

Probably not the most attractive option for all, but we have plenty of community members that find dull militaristic leaders because they do not like waging always war, and otherwise others may find dull other abilities. I can get more views of Korea being shown would have been nice, but cliches are difficult to overcome for every civ.

Indeed it is difficult, and partly everything is open to criticism one side or the other. We have sent plenty of critics to “flat” bonuses, and several of the critics / alternates to Sejong ability are flat bonuses themselves, maybe with a bit of trade-off to the Seowong puzzle (that is also criticised by being so easy and boring -> I do not see how adding just a bonus to the malus the Seowon has to make its gameplay slightly interesting is really an improvement)

On the other hand we have critics Sejong ability has a lot of micro, and critics to it only triggers 6 times in the game. I think these two balance themselves out and are what makes Sejong actually a different experience: instead of little eforts during the game to exploit the leader ability, here you have 6 “events” you can plan, you have to work for, and which provide a “big” reward (and if not big enough, that’s just tweaking the % number). That difference is what I like of the ability, even if the rest of it, and the rest of the game may be a bit duller, you play Sejong to get these six “management adrenaline” rushes you won’t have (or will be more random) with other leaders.
Probably not the most attractive option for all, but we have plenty of community members that find dull militaristic leaders because they do not like waging always war, and otherwise others may find dull other abilities. I can get more views of Korea being shown would have been nice, but cliches are difficult to overcome for every civ.
I'm all for fans giving their feedback on any aspect of the game. It's totally fair to say "this ability is boring to me" or something.

But to have an emotional reaction to a game design choice such that you're accusing the devs of being "lazy uncreative bastards" and harboring a grudge against the people of your ethnicity is another thing entirely.

To me, the golden rule of providing feedback about Civilization (or any game for that matter) is to keep our comments limited to constructive feedback of the game itself without speculating on the skill, capability, intelligence, or motivations of the humans behind the game.

Honestly, Sejong’s ability isn’t even that boring.

As for what it has to do with hangeul, well… Theodora’s ability is called Metanoia, which was the name of a convent established for former sex workers. This has so little to do with her ability, and nobody noticed that the First Look referred to her ability as “Restorer of Icons” (a reference to a different Theodora!) and that doesn’t have anything to do with farms either.

Last edited:
 Metanoia means "change of heart", which does reflect Theodora's more pious behavior after becoming empress

As for what it has to do with hangeul, well…
I can even see a reason for that. At the risk of being called iliterate for not really knowing the quirks and details of Korean history (that I really don’t - but that on the other hand allows my view to be that of the average civ player):

That average civ player, with a little of history knowledge may know (wrongly or not) that Hangeul was a scholar-designed (lets admit this means “scientifically-designed” in civ terms) alphabet, comissioned by Sejong, which boosted korea’s literacy rate (i.e. “Culture”).

Thus, having Sejong “commission” six big science projects to obtain cultural progress can be fitting to that particular Hangeul idea, if you ask me (altough probably I’m wrong, as said before, who knows?)

Honestly, Sejong’s ability isn’t even that boring.

As for what it has to do with hangeul, well… Theodora’s ability is called Metanoia, which was the name of a convent established for former sex workers. This has so little to do with her ability, and nobody noticed that the First Look referred to her ability as “Restorer of Icons”, which doesn’t have anything to do with farms either.

I can even see a reason for that. At the risk of being called iliterate for not really knowing the quirks and details of Korean history (that I really don’t - but that on the other hand allows my view to be that of the average civ player):

That average civ player, with a little of history knowledge may know (wrongly or not) that Hangeul was a scholar-designed (lets admit this means “scientifically-designed” in civ terms) alphabet, comissioned by Sejong, which boosted korea’s literacy rate (i.e. “Culture”).

Thus, having Sejong “commission” six big science projects to obtain cultural progress can be fitting to that particular Hangeul idea, if you ask me (altough probably I’m wrong, as said before, who knows?)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with abilities in the game being abstractions. Nearly all of them are!

As for what it has to do with hangeul, well… Theodora’s ability is called Metanoia, which was the name of a convent established for former sex workers. This has so little to do with her ability, and nobody noticed that the First Look referred to her ability as “Restorer of Icons”, which doesn’t have anything to do with farms either.
I was kind of wondering what farms had to do with her at all too. Maybe the farms are just the convent, if that is indeed what they are referencing?

I was kind of wondering what farms had to do with her at all too. Maybe the farms are just the convent, if that is indeed what they are referencing?

Maybe that convent, added to Eagle's explanation...

 Metanoia means "change of heart", which does reflect Theodora's more pious behavior after becoming empress

reflects before rejected "artists" (and other "cultural" workers) being accepted by the faith (+culture in holy sites), and also commoners being attracted by the new faith approach (+faith from farms).

Abstractions can be quite twisted ;)

Maybe that convent, added to Eagle's explanation...
Yeah, I actually didn't know about the convent before it was mentioned.
reflects before rejected "artists" (and other "cultural" workers) being accepted by the faith (+culture in holy sites), and also commoners being attracted by the new faith approach (+faith from farms).

Abstractions can be quite twisted ;)
Plus, the Hippodrome where it was one of the few places where commoners and nobles could share the same venue on certain occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom