Fantasy/Mythology Mods in Civ5

Éa evolved from a thread I posted here almost two years ago, for which Tasunke was my only respondent (don't know what would have happened without his "Good Idea"; I might have been discouraged an not spent the following 2 yrs designing it ;)).

The "emergent" civs (with earned names and traits and leader turnover) is just part of it. The heart of the mod revolves around heroes and other great people, which operate almost exactly as outlined in that post.

Very nice! Glad to be of service.

Éa evolved from a thread I posted here almost two years ago, for which Tasunke was my only respondent (don't know what would have happened without his "Good Idea"; I might have been discouraged an not spent the following 2 yrs designing it ;)).

The "emergent" civs (with earned names and traits and leader turnover) is just part of it. The heart of the mod revolves around heroes and other great people, which operate almost exactly as outlined in that post.

Our civilizations are less emergent (they do have names and lore, for instance), but their playstyle is mutable; we have many seperate tech trees, and unique units/mechanics are attached to those trees rather than a civ. You can't open all of them due to.the penalties attached (science and mana penalties), so you want to focus.on just a few features.

We've pretty much decided to move to civV at this point; 3 votes yes, 1 vote no, 2 "i don't care"s. So I think I'll start getting dyntraits working in lua.

So I think I'll start getting dyntraits working in lua.

The key here for me was the policy system. That is not the only way to implement trait effects but it is a big and versatile one. The only real drawback is that it messes with the current policy progression system. But I didn't like that anyway, so I set culture per policy at 99999999 and then implemented my own system with all policy advancements given as a "free policy" by Lua.

We'll likely have other ideas for policies, so I'm going to try making it work with actual traits; IIRC, it's possible for a leader to have multiple traits (and the "civ-specific" traits are actually on the leader, not the civ), so it shouldn't be that difficult; Same principle as what I did for Civ4, just in lua rather than the DLL (at least for now; I'm going to assume that lua suffers from the same kind of slowdown as python, if not to the same extent, so moving things to the dll is still goign to be a good idea).

Actually, our "multiple tech trees" will probably be moved over to policies; More natural fit, and it leaves the player able to pursue basic techs at the same time as civ-defining techs. Also makes it simple for us to impose penalties for having too many trees active (innate mechanic), simpler to display them, and able to fine tune advancement (can tweak culture vs science for advancement down standard techs or civ-techs).

So dyntraits will definitely need to use standard traits.

I'm going to assume that lua suffers from the same kind of slowdown as python, if not to the same extent, so moving things to the dll is still goign to be a good idea).

Not as fast as C++, sure. But my 3000 lines of Lua code run substantially faster than 300 lines of Python in my old Elohim modmodmod. It's not that Lua is that much better than Python, or that my programming was that bad back then. It's the fact that I can store values rather than recalculate them every turn. For example, in Civ4, I would have to cycle through every tile, find every unique feature, then do some checks to see if something happened, every turn. In Civ5, I can just record that "something" in a variable and that's that (seems a rather obvious use for a variable, but not available on the Civ4 python side). Or maybe I have to cycle all tiles once at game start to find unique features, but then never again. It's much more rare to have to iterate through something to find something.

Not as fast as C++, sure. But my 3000 lines of Lua code run substantially faster than 300 lines of Python in my old Elohim modmodmod. It's not that Lua is that much better than Python, or that my programming was that bad back then. It's the fact that I can store values rather than recalculate them every turn. For example, in Civ4, I would have to cycle through every tile, find every unique feature, then do some checks to see if something happened, every turn. In Civ5, I can just record that "something" in a variable and that's that (seems a rather obvious use for a variable, but not available on the Civ4 python side). Or maybe I have to cycle all tiles once at game start to find unique features, but then never again. It's much more rare to have to iterate through something to find something.

Yeah, the Civ5 modding setup is much better. Can add new xml tags, and give them a function, without ever touching the DLL; Can store any kind of values you want in the database as well (was rather happy when SSeckman added that, much better than the old savedata setup as mods don't conflict now). And I absolutely prefer the Civ5 INTERFACE modding. Adding a new screen in Civ4 was a pain; Doing it in Civ5 is simple. Hell, I'm the one who wrote the Great Person panel that came in one of the patches. :lol:

Yeah, the Civ5 modding setup is much better. Can add new xml tags, and give them a function, without ever touching the DLL; Can store any kind of values you want in the database as well (was rather happy when SSeckman added that, much better than the old savedata setup as mods don't conflict now). And I absolutely prefer the Civ5 INTERFACE modding. Adding a new screen in Civ4 was a pain; Doing it in Civ5 is simple. Hell, I'm the one who wrote the Great Person panel that came in one of the patches. :lol:

Please feel free to use my TableSaverLoader component if you like. The idea here is that you do all game logic in Lua tables, then reference those tables in a master table. TableSaverLoader (hooked up properly) will then preserve those tables through game exit/reload (or more accurately, it will resurrect them whole on game reload). There is no issue about when you save/exit because it intercepts all 4 gamesave types: cntl-S, save from menu, F11 quicksave and endturn for autosave.

Please feel free to use my TableSaverLoader component if you like. The idea here is that you do all game logic in Lua tables, then reference those tables in a master table. TableSaverLoader (hooked up properly) will then preserve those tables through game exit/reload (or more accurately, it will resurrect them whole on game reload). There is no issue about when you save/exit because it intercepts all 4 gamesave types: cntl-S, save from menu, F11 quicksave and endturn for autosave.

I'll take a look at it, thanks

I am glad you are still updating this thread. When do you think you will actually enter Alpha? It still seems too early to actually play the game.

I may reach alpha stage (ready for some testing) just before G&K, but I'm not sure. There will still be a lot of placeholder art and no magic so not very fancy yet. After G&K I'll be dong conversion at the same time I'm adding religion and magic content. I'd guess that puts the mod to late July or August before there is a playable G&K version.

Hello, fellow (former?) FFH2 players. I've been thinking about getting CiV for a while now, and was wondering if there's been movement/updates to the various fantasy mods for it.

Anything good come up in the last few months or so since this thread was updated?

I've released some pre-alpha builds for Éa but I was a bit premature in my statement above. It will probably reach alpha in November or December. But it is a lot more than I initially described for phase 1. When the alpha is released, it will have a full blown religion system (you can communicate and possibly even meet some of the gods under specific circumstances) and a few spells (many more of these later).

There's been some pick up in Civ5 modding activity and excitement. The dll is finally being released with the "Fall" patch. There are a few more modders who know how to make or convert 3D unit art (this is really hard in Civ5 for reasons I don't understand). And modders have finally figured out how to add 3D improvements and buildings on the map. I never thought MP was a big factor myself, but I guess there is progress on this too and the dll should help.

There seem to be a few mods that are fantasy, or at least ancient/mythical in setting, so possibly of interest. I don't know much about these so I'll just link without comment to a few that have active threads:
Also:
  • PawelS has a thread on his upcoming Era of Miracles mod. No ETA as far as I know, but it's clear that he picked up activity on it after G&K.
  • Spatz's Age of Mythology is, I believe, currently non-functional. The last patch wrecked a key mechanic in his mod, so it is probably out of commission until the dll comes out (I hope he still has interest in getting it working at that time).
  • And then this post in the Civ5 dll thread:
    Looking forward to this; Enough so that we've FINALLY started actually coding E'iten.

I updated the first post with a new Faerun Scenario that has just become available. I also updated the plug for my own Civ5 fantasy mod Éa. It's still pre-alpha development code, but I've put a lot of new info in the thread over the last couple weeks.

Its pretty good until I realized that XP is disabled, basically makes it impossible to take a city with even 5 units, since you never really get any bonuses to attack, and its just ends up being a huge stalemate.

I don't know why you would disbale XP on a mod based on a game that invented XP. :D

Also there are some strange unit upgrades (pikemen-> lt cavalry).

Just to be clear, the last post is about Faerun Scenario and not Éa.

In Éa, even the great people gain XP. Even your leader gains XP (your leader is one of your great people).

Top Bottom