Fate of GOTM when Civ III is here?

First of all, don't worry about the extra work for me. I'm quite handy with all this, and if it really is going to be more work, then I'm sure someone else can help. I don't need help yet. ;)

I've thought before that perhaps we should make it two months. I'm in for your suggestion!

Cool, we have the Matrix stamp of approval :spank: (sorry, couldn't resist :satan: )

So, not hearing any cries of complaint, can we move forward with this plan? Alternating GOTMs between Civ II and III, with two months to finish each one.

Will that require any tweaking to the scoring/ranking system that has been in place for GOTM Civ II?

I am in favor of monthly games for Civ3. Six games a year just don't allow much variations. A number of people finish the game a few days after the game is posted, they would need to wait very long time for the next game to come up if it's two month. Firaxis said Civ3 has less micromanagement to do, maybe this will make a typical Civ3 game shorter...

I suggest we have monthly game for Civ3, but for Civ2 we can make it 2 months...

if you go to 2 months.....prediction:death for civ2 gotm.

Can we poll the community and see how many we would lose and how many we would gain if Civ II GOTM went to every two months? I've seen lots of people talking about not being able to finish, me being one. I have to wonder how many others have not even attempted knowing in advance they would not finish. We might actually pick up a lot of people by going to two months. Part of the poll of course would need to factor in whether people will even be playing Civ II once III comes out. I know I will because my computer won't run III, and I have no plans to update soon. :(

If GOTM for Civ II is every 2 months: around 1 or 2 times, there will not be a lot of players on GOTM for Civ II...

Why not making a GOTM for Civ II and Civ III every month and
see what hapens for the 2 first months: Then according to the
numbers of players of both GOTM, we could take the best decision with all the arguments...

LeSphinx

Originally posted by LeSphinx
If GOTM for Civ II is every 2 months: around 1 or 2 times, there will not be a lot of players on GOTM for Civ II...

Why not making a GOTM for Civ II and Civ III every month and
see what hapens for the 2 first months: Then according to the
numbers of players of both GOTM, we could take the best decision with all the arguments...

LeSphinx

The problem with this plan is it leaves out those who would only play if they had 2 months to finish, much as now. We have no way of knowing how many might play if they had two months to finish without asking in a poll somehow or just trying it and advertising it so people have a chance to try it out. I for one will play very seldom if it continues with every month.

Smash,

You predicted that the GOTM for CivII is likely to die off if we go to alternating CivII and CivIII every other month, but you didn't explain why. At this point, I'm strongly in favor of this alternation. Tell me what I'm not considering.

One GOTM game every 2 month is not very much: it is only
6 GOTM games in a year...
Whoaaaaa!
I'm not going to play only 6 games of Civ III in 1 year....

Maybe,1 GOTM for Civ III every month and 1 GOTM for civ II every 2 month...

LeSphinx

well...1 game every 2 months is nothing.We are supposed to be fanatics.
If you don't play,you lose interest.2 months is a lifetime these days.
Its like you close your clubhouse for 2 months to build a new one.When you re-open,you find your members have wandered off to other clubs.

Since when must you limit your playing to GOTM??? You can certainly play other games yourself in between GOTMs. Many of you do now, so how would this be different? If you lose interest in 2 months, what kind of fanatic are you? ;)

I talked to matrix about Civ III GOTM last week... We realized that it's not possible to make everyone happy. If we make it one month, people like Leowind will complain it's not enough time. ;) But if we make it two months, we'll have even more unhappy players.

Like Smash said, we are supposed to be fanatics. Two months per game is for casual players...

well...of course i can play more than gotm..but :)....gotm is the only game I finish.That and maybe a comparison game at Poly here and there.It gives me a reason to finish.
I had this last one done in a week.And that was with alot of "sidetracking"..in the mean time i have played "Laugh at SG" game twice and "large world using 2.42" game(both at apoyton,both on large maps)

an addict needs a daily fix,let alone a monthly or bi-monthly :D

Civ 3 might make this all moot.

mouse hovers over "ship it" at Dell.com

2 GOTM per month (1 Civ II and 1 Civ III): it 's great !
Thunderfall and Matrix took the right decision...
We are Civfanatics! 2 games a month is nothing!

Could it be possible to have Civ II GOTM a little bit early (1 or 2 days) before the 1th of november.
Yes, It will be hard to manage 2 GOTM (1 Civ II and 1 Civ III) the first week of the Civ III's release.

In this case, I will try to finish the GOTM X for civ II as quickly as I can in order to discover Civ III when I would have it!

LeSphinx

Civ3 GOTM means: first 16 months will be each civ once with special abilities and then you gotta start thinking ;)

I am just curious of how the editor will work. Maybe you can make your own civs for GOTMs in civ3 if the edited rules are included in the savegames :)

And I think with the possibility of 256*256 maps and 16 civs at once, one civ3 game per month will be enough :goodjob:

Well, I see that the definition of a CivFanatic continues to include only those people who have tons of free time to play a computer game and to exclude those of us with families, jobs, and lives (ouch, did I say that :eek: ;) ); so be it. It was fun playing a GOTM again (even though I didn't get as far as I would like, it is finishable), but this must once again be au revoir to you GOTMers until a Civ II GOTM on small map at high difficulty comes along.

Farewell, my friends. :cry:

<saddly returns to work and life, partially grateful to have a bit of his life back again>

I'm sorry we couldn't satisfy you, Leowind. :( But I'm pretty convinced that this is the best for the majority of the people. Hopefully you'll find time now and then anyway. I also don't play every GOTM and have not finished two GOTM's. But there are always times when you have more time at home than normal. So I'm pretty sure you're lost forever in the annals of the GOTM. ;)

Originally posted by Matrix
I'm sorry we couldn't satisfy you, Leowind. :( But I'm pretty convinced that this is the best for the majority of the people. Hopefully you'll find time now and then anyway. I also don't play every GOTM and have not finished two GOTM's. But there are always times when you have more time at home than normal. So I'm pretty sure you're lost forever in the annals of the GOTM. ;)

Er...Thanks? :confused:

I very rarely have enough free time to finish a game in one month. Even this GOTM9 I'll turn in, but I could have grown my civ significantly if I'd had more time. :( Ah well. Life does go on. :)

Top Bottom