Favorite City-states to be Suzerain of?

Rossticles

Chieftain
Hattusa - It's so good to not have to build an encampment.
Toronto - That extended range for industrial and entertainment districts is amazing.

I can't think of any that are more useful.

Auckland can be nice for making coastal empires get a pretty decent buff. Yerevan is top notch for religious victories. Carthage is nice because trade routes are so powerful. Geneva is nice, but science is abundant. Does Hong Kong count for space or nuclear projects? Kandy can be good for Poland and Kongo. Mohengo-Daro is one of my favorites. Zanzibar and Muscat can both assist similar to Toronto for amenities. Lisbon is also powerful on water heavy maps.

Mohengo-Daro might be the best all around, but that might also go to Toronto. Toronto is good on any pretty much any map, whereas Mohengo-Daro could be redundant on a map with abundant fresh water. I don't think I've actually played on a map where Mohengo-Daro would not have been helpful, though.

I'd put Auckland and Carthage in just behind those two. Carthage being a lot better than Auckland in many cases.

I'm fighting for Nan Mandol (+2 culture per coastal or adjacent tile) right now, and gotta say, it's really powerful. I'm settled mostly on a peninsula so I have a ton of coastal districts, and when allied, it's giving me probably 30% of my empire's culture right now. Obviously situational since I've had other games where I have hardly any coastal districts, but it's making a huge difference for me this game.

Last edited:
Barring specific situations, M-Daro is the most powerful. It completely changes the game as you no longer have ANY restrictions on settling. Makes it easier to network your cities, gain total border dominance, or grab any resources you feel like.

I'd have to go with Carthage. It makes commerce districts, harbours, and encampments essential in almost every city.

That extra abundance of trade routes can get you almost anything.

Preslav FTW!

Seriously though, Valetta can be pretty sweet if you're rolling in faith (if i decide to have a religion, I usually am even if I'm trying to win religiously). Zanzibar and Buenos Aires can be good for a quick amenity fix. Stockholm makes a ridiculous amount of GPPs which is particularly good for a culture win but good for any win really.

To be honest, most of them are pretty solid. Some are just more situational than others. Preslav and a couple of the commerce CSs are weak though. That being said, commerce CSs can bring in a reduclous amount of gold seeing as I always have commercial districts.

In my current game I've had great use from Kabul, Buenos Aires and Zanzibar. I'm playing a domination victory, and with the help of Kabul I now have units with seven promotion levels (industrial era). A 7-promotion Crossbowman and a 7-promotion Musketman together can just stroll in and take a city in maybe two or three turns by themselves. And Buenos Aires and Zanzibar... Well, if you conquer like three cities per turn (which was the case for a while), you need a lot of amenities to keep everyone pleased with your population increasing so rapidly. I'm also spamming Entertainment Districts by the way. And I unlocked Zoos this turn. Oh, and when I got into a war with Geneva's ally I didn't even think about not capturing them, because I couldn't have peace if I tried with my -100 warmonger penalties with every AI.

Toronto, while less OP due to the recent nerf of IZs and CPs, is still near the top of my list. Yerevan is the one that makes the most direct impact towards a specific victory type, but is obviously less useful if you don't play religious game.

I like Granada and La Venta. I like to build Petra in the desert and cover the flat desert with alternating Colossal Heads and Alcazars.

I like the military ones: Kabul and Cartage especially for more trade and more experience. I always try to ally Buenos Aires and Muscat for the amenities. But I like to meet a cultural state first just for that first envoy - it makes such a difference.

Another vote for Carthage - every game I suzerain them turns into an absolute cakewalk. It's also just fun to build a lot of encampments.

Seriously?.... No one has gone for Kumasi? O m g.
If I find Kumasi next to me or near me I will change my gameplan significantly.
I mean it is so powerful. 5 districts in my capital and 10 trade routes I have +102 or more culture per turn let alone the money amd other bits it brings in.

Last edited:
I'm seeing some city states that I don't seem to recognize (Granada, Muscat). Did I miss something despite having the Deluxe Edition?

I'm seeing some city states that I don't seem to recognize (Granada, Muscat). Did I miss something despite having the Deluxe Edition?

They were in the Viking DLC. If you have the deluxe edition, you should have them; 6 in total.

Yerevan is just such a ridiculous game changer for religious games that I'll call it best city state even though its worthless for other victory types.

Alone in second place is Kumasi.

After that I like many of the science based city states. Geneva and Stockholm are both pretty solid.

I can say I find most CS bonuses really useful.
  • Auckland: Coastal cities becomes productive again. I love coastal Oil now just because of Auckland. Also combos well with Nan Madol.
  • Toronto: No comments needed, loved by everyone.
  • Buenos Aires / Zanzibar / Muscat: Amenities, yay! It's never bad to have more.
  • Carthage: (Apparent) Consensus is that Encampments are of more value now, this just adds even more value on them.
  • Mohenjo-Daro: I find it more useful than not. I'll always have that odd city without fresh water, and this may save an Aqueduct or two.
  • Hong Kong / Stockholm: Just like amenities, you can't have enough Great People. Projects are just a way to accumulate GPP.
  • Yerevan / Kandy: Situationally useful, but hey, it's worth considering a change of plans if you meet them early and get that free envoy.
  • Kumasi: I don't usually use international trade routes, but as Germany (extra district) or Rome (free trading posts for farther routes and more gold), it can really shine.

Top Bottom