Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Eleanor England

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Eleanor France

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Have not purchased Gathering Storm

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
I take it as flavour. It is both a nerf and a buff. The buff is strongest on deity. For me personally, I intentionally try not to exploit the AI or CSes and don't grab vulnerable settlers, so Canada is all buff for my playstyle.

I've not played all of them so won't vote; and I only played Hungary and Maori pre-patch. Both of those can be a lot of fun, but they do seem to be rather situational. Hungary depends on the CS distribution and Maori does best with a map full of islands. Mali is certainly fun to play. Currently I'm still seeing how some of the older civs cope with GS.

The Inca. I love the terrace farms.

My least favorite, oddly enough, is Mali. I thought I would enjoy the civ way more than I do but the slow starts coupled with rarely starting on desert really hurt my opinion of it. It's not that it's bad, it's just boring. Honestly, I'd rather play Canada.

I've played Hungary, Inca, some Maori, and Mali, and Mali is by far my favorite, with Hungary in second.

In my Mali game I started in a large desert that was protected by mountains, so I didn't have to worry about their early game disadvantages, and was able to fully utilize their abilities to make a very lucrative desert empire. Having Petra + Nazca lines + Solar panels made for some ridiculously good yields, and yield maximizing is one of my favorite parts about Civ VI. There's also the desert folklore + Suguba district combination which makes for some amazing district yields as well.

For Hungary it was really fun being able to control so many city-states, and have a powerful army without having to make the units myself. One thing I didn't like though was the fact I couldn't stop the Ottomans from killing my city-states since we were allies. There really should be an option to tell him to stop attacking my city-states, or else I'll have to declare war.

Eleanor England. I thought it was a fun challenge trying to get the most out of England with her, and it actually paid off simply from the extra loyalty from coastal cities with RNDYs.

I also had a great deal of fun with Canada oddly enough. I made early alliances with everyone and had zero conflict. I focused on planning to fit as many national parks in my borders as possible. I had loads of crappy tundra and snow cities at the end with national parks in their borders. My culture skyrocketed with skii resorts and hockey rinks. When you put a lot of effort into planning out making your empire as appealing as possible you kinda get attached to it. It was an improvement heavy culture game without a single seaside resort . I just love culture games in general.

I didn't try Kupe since he seemed a bit OP but I'd bet he would be really fun to play.

Eleanor England. I thought it was a fun challenge trying to get the most out of England with her, and it actually paid off simply from the extra loyalty from coastal cities with RNDYs.

I also had a great deal of fun with Canada oddly enough. I made early alliances with everyone and had zero conflict. I focused on planning to fit as many national parks in my borders as possible. I had loads of crappy tundra and snow cities at the end with national parks in their borders. My culture skyrocketed with skii resorts and hockey rinks. When you put a lot of effort into planning out making your empire as appealing as possible you kinda get attached to it. It was an improvement heavy culture game without a single seaside resort . I just love culture games in general.

I didn't try Kupe since he seemed a bit OP but I'd bet he would be really fun to play.

One of the interesting things to do with Engleanor is using the Admirals with the Loyalty bonus to protect cities in forward-settled locations, then later dumping Great Works into the city to flip a bunch of neighbors.

Also, flipping coastal cities gives you free RNDYs.

Tough choice. Had a lot of fun with Maori, Mali, Sweden and Phoenicia but Hungary was an entertaining snowball.

I voted Inca, but that could just be because I'm having so much fun playing them in my current game. New world age setting did its job. I haven't played Mali, Canada, or the Ottomans yet, either. Ask me again in six months and I might have a different answer. :p

Don't have GS yet, the anticipation of trying these really cool civs is offset by the anticipated frustration of dealing with the new pain-in-the-butt mechanics of global improvement impact. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the gold bonuses afforded by Mali will so-much-more-than-compensate for the production penalties they suffer from.

A distant second is the ridiculously potent ability that Hungary has.

Ugh. Going to agree with those people on the first page that were surprised Mali wasn't for them.

I've been wanting Mansa Musa back forever. When I saw how interesting their civ design was, I was sure they'd be my favourite.

Finally tried them last night and...ugh. Something just doesn't feel right. Definitely not my favourite. I will try them again, but they just feel so limited in their playstyles. I expected all gold all the time to give you ultimate flexibility, but it ends up feeling like the opposite since your early game is basically the same every time. Rush Sugubas and Holy Sites, or you're screwed. I feel like your governor options are way more limited as well since Reyna is pretty much a must.

Last edited:
Canada is really fun. No surprise wars declared on you on Deity is a very interesting way to play. Had fun with a RV as Canada, but it was weird when my neighbors all had tanks and I just had a bunch of crossbowmen.

Freleanor is a close second. Flipping cities is so much fun. I flipped the Maori right out of existence and flipped a city state in the same game.

I enjoy Canada for a religious victory. Their Diplo orientation and protection from surprise wars makes it easier to handle the diplomatic fallout of converting other civs, while their tundra start combines well with the usually very attainable Dance of the Aurora pantheon for plenty of faith. Sure, they aren't the best at that (Russia not only gets tundra starts, but also a unique HS), but it's still a solid approach.

I definitely preferred my games as Phoenicia and Mali, but that's mainly because I love having boatloads of cash, to sums I will probably never spend.

I'm kinda surprised that nobody has picked the Ottomans... Fan favourite and all that.

I'm kinda surprised that nobody has picked the Ottomans... Fan favourite and all that.

I think that it's because the Ottomans are warmongers again. And while the unique governor is a neat idea, it's not anyone's favorite thing.

I think that it's because the Ottomans are warmongers again. And while the unique governor is a neat idea, it's not anyone's favorite thing.

That would make sense, also nobody seems to be saying they are their least favourite so presumably Suleiman hasn't been badly received even if he hasn't been well received?

Too little love for the Maori ;-)!
I've mostly played them in multiplayer and even postpatch I find their ability to sail the seas hilarious. Its freaking great to circumvent the map and have it thoroughly explored at the same time when your fellow players have merely an understanding of their bordering mountain range. It gives you knowledge and power, yes but more importan, the feeling of the world as a whole, while for everyone else the world not yet exists.
Game-mechanics wise, I like how the "God of the sea" pantheon plus better fisheries and their culture bomb make coastal cities much more worthwhile. And you get to meet most CS's first, if they are stuck on an island as usual.
Edit: but psychologically, Maori in multiplayer have the big downside, that they always appear as immigrants who could have settled on another island, which is true only for this civ. At least that's what my fellow players ingame always tell me. This, in addition to them being an early powerhouse, makes me a substantial threat in their eyes that has to be ejected from its illegitimate colony on "their" island. Toas disagree though...

Last edited:
Pleasantly surprised that Phoenicia is #2 here, but also not really shocked.

The early game is arguably the most fun in many respects between exploration, the expansion rush, resource generation, and early skirmishes. Phoenicia offers it all.

Also the prettiest UD in the game.

Pleasantly surprised that Phoenicia is #2 here, but also not really shocked.

The early game is arguably the most fun in many respects between exploration, the expansion rush, resource generation, and early skirmishes. Phoenicia offers it all.

Also the prettiest UD in the game.
With their city spam and trade bonuses they wind up being a powerhouse. Almost as much income as Mali with none of the downside. Add in that fun little trick of moving your capital to a colonial continent and running the colonial policies to benefit your most well developed cities and she can be a beast.

Almost chose her but went with Hungary instead. I just had so much fun playing Matthias.

Top Bottom