Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Militaristic

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Agricultural

Votes: 31 29.0%
  • Seafaring

Votes: 6 5.6%

• Total voters
1.Agricultural - Fast growth gives important early advantage also starts with Pottery what is nice starting tech.
2.Commercial - More money, less corruption ans starts with best starting tech: Alphabet.
3.Seafaring, Scientific and Industrious are all good.

id have to say militeristic. barrics (very important) can be built easier. so if you like violence (the foundation of civ 3) that trate is for you

I voted industrious, simply because it gives you the early edge on worker turns getting roads out to luxes and to increase commerce. I also like commercial and scientific alot (my crutch civ for a while was France), but I always wind up going back to industrious.

One of the things I like about the GOTM is that it forces me to play with civs I'd never play with. COTM 9 with the Vikings was a real eye opener for me. I now love the Berserker unit, and really respect the seafaring trait when it comes to playing on archipelago/water worlds. Playing with the Mongols in COTM 10 reinforced my conclusion that militaristic is generally worthless. Barracks are cheap anyway, so the marginal reduction doesn't seem to be worth it, and getting Sun Tzu's pretty much eliminates the advantage of the militaristic trait. The promotion benefits are OK, but I often attack with outmatched units such that the veteran vs. regular distinction isn't too much of an issue. Regular cavalry vs. spearman isn't much worse than Veteran cavalry vs. spearman.

Haven't played enough with agricultural to draw conclusions. But the toughness of the Celts in every game I seem to play makes me think their is something to it.

i voted MIL, but i also like AGR and IND.

I voted Industrious, but it was a close call with Agricultural as lately I've been discovering the true power of the game: food. I really love fast workers. Looking at the list, I can take advantage of any of the traits. A while back I took to always having a random civ and random opponents, and I can always take advantage of whatever traits they have.

I'm not a big fan of naval warfare and invading across seas (lots of micromoving), but seafaring makes early exploration faster with 3-move curraghs, and don't overlook the benefits of cheap harbors. 2 food plus tons of gold for coastal cities may outweigh the commercial advantage in the AA.

EDIT: Confused about all the Industirous if not in C3C responses, but now I seem to recall C3C nerfed Industrious somehow. Will have to look and see. I haven't played industrious in a long time; I play random civs and haven't hit on one in a while.

Acricultural - early growth is everything
Commercial Seafaring- both give alphabet (one lowers coruption the other earlier contacts)

It suits my play-style (Emperor) Quick republic domination.

Commercial.

While I really like more food and fast boats, nothing can beat the appeal of cold hard cash. :D

Now cash and fast boats, there's a real winner.

1. Agricultural
2. Commercial
3. Seafaring
4. Militaristic
5. Industrious
6. Scientific
7. Expansionist
8. Religious

Industrious would be higher if it's not C3C. Expansionist isn't that bad, I'd just rather have most others.

1st: Agr. It is clearly the best - more growth means more commerce and more shields.

2nd: Com. - less corruption means more commerce

3rd (close to 2nd): Sea. - Finding civs on the other side of the world before anyone else means a trade monopoly for a long time. Plus extra commerce in coastal cities.

4th (distant from 3rd): Sci, Rel, Ind - All OK but only occasionally helpful. The top three help you every turn. Ind does help mostly every turn but the boost isn't that great in C3C.

5th: Mil - makes already cheap things cheaper. Yay. Unit promotion is nice but nothing to write home about. OK for archer rushes but you can't really do those above Monarch.

6th: Exp - A real hit or miss trait, totally map dependent. Even when you do find huts, it is totally random what you'll get. Can't bank on this one at all.

I voted agricultural. It's what I am into now. It's just so powerful. My last two wins were with agricultural civs; Netherlands and Celts. I've never done better than in my current Celt game.

my crutch is religious because i hate anarchy. certainly ive played religious civs more than any other. i think militaristic is the most fun but not the most advantageous.

Even though I think AGR is best, I voted for REL. With the 1 turn of anarchy, you can be flexible with a game plan, especially between Rep/Mon and Com/Dem governments. Also, cheap temples and Cathedrals keep the people happy and expand borders.

I voted industrious. Faster developement of land beats out all other traits. Next would be militaristic.

Oh and by the way i'm playing the vannila version of civ 3 with no expantions

seafaring all the way. i play on continental maps, always maintain a strong navy, and love Numidien Mercenaries. anytime i get a seafaring civ, i just know its gonna be endless centuries of war :D

For my game play style, I had to go with Religious. I like the short anarchy, but more importantly, early temple construction allows me to quickly swallow vast tracts of land and get a jump start on the culture wars.

Industrious is a close second. Faster workers = more better.

I voted Industrious; My first-ever games of Civ III were played as Egypt, America, and China, and I could never get used to the longer worker times. Also the speed of building is great.

Agricultural is good too, and Religious is killer in the beginning game if you use it right (temples and Cathedrals in every city give you gigantic culture that other civs cannot easily match), but later on it becomes useless when you transition to your final government.

Commerical is good too. I've never played as a Seafaring civ (except in the Age of Discovery and Napoleonic Europe Conquests) so I can't speak for its advantages.

But Expansionism and Militarism suck as far as my strat goes.

Top Bottom