• Fighters

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Axeman

Votes: 43 21.8%
  • Artillery

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Cavalry

Votes: 43 21.8%
  • Civ-Specific Unit (please post type of Unit)

Votes: 39 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I start a new game, I always make the gamble: Am I going to be near iron or not? If I divine "no," gotta go with Motecuzoma and his maquahuitl-wielding Jaguars for a short and sweet raid against my next door neighbor. If "yes," then it's Julius and an extended war against at least a couple of neighbors before knights/cavalry come along. Either way, swordsmen-type UUs seem to be my drug of choice. It is a little disappointing to go with the Aztecs and end up with iron nearby, but them's the breaks.

I like grenadiers and cavalry in the midgame. the AI usually builds riflemen (at best) at this stage and the grenadiers will eat them. you can get them early too. If you plan for war at this stage, it's great to play with the russians as their cossacks are devastating.
Of course, it's best to be done with war before riflemen and infantry turn up...until then axemen, elephants and praetorians are good

Mine is the battleship or the Marine. For projection of raw power, you just can't beat the battleship. And when you used to be able to bombard cities and shoreline, it was just awesome to have. I mean really, how can you not love seeing those big guns pound the hell out of the coast?

And Marines for their grittiness and strength on attack (at least in Civ III) were always a lot of fun. I used them along with tanks as the spearhead of my attacks... sure they may not have been as useful, but they certainly have a panache about them.

With the spy in civ2, you could march on through..
In Civ4, an early armor works great for me

The English Red coat is a damn good unit to have. Helped me conquer Spain and Japan almost single handedly it did.

Of all time and all the options relate to only civ4? Anyway i think the best unit of all time was the howitzer from civ2. That thing could take on any unit!

I like the most the mech infantery

My single favourite has got to be Cavalry -perfect for my mid-game expansion phase when everyone's still straggling with Longbowmen. And the speed they can get to the enemy...amazing.

Modern Armour's nice for obliterating other civs off the map late game, and Marines are good for a surprise attack on coastal cities.

It's great to see axemen take the lead!

I voted for them along time ago.

You can get them so early, and they can take on anything until knights.

Top Bottom