FBI raids Mar-A-Lago; Known criminal Donald Trump still at large

Will they find smoking gun evidence?

• Total voters
Like I said. You don't have to be competent at it to try it. Someone who breaks the law by not being smart has still broken the law.
Sure, but I suppose intent is a critical issue. Can't have a conspiracy if he is was too dumb and/or indifferent to have meant for it to be one. For all we know he just thought that the potus can move documents to his private property (would anyone really be surprised if he did?)
Then again, I am against taking the easy way out and banning someone from running when they may indeed win.

The idea that it was okay for him to take home is separate from the idea that he should have returned the documents when asked.
I currently have a workplace uniform, but I take it home because it's more convenient to everyone involved. When I change jobs, it's theirs. If I ever got a specific letter that I return the outfit to them, it would be weird to not.

But we might have lower standards for billionaires.

I doubt that Donald Trump knows what documents he has had taken to his various abodes.

Besides which these days most documents exist in digital format so nothing is lost if a print
out has been taken home, and nothing is gained by getting the paper copy back.

To me the only issue is if any of those copies contain secret national security
information in which case they should simply either be destroyed or returned.

I think the process is likely much more about continually making demands so
that when he does not comply, he can be found guilty of contempt of court.

Sure, but I suppose intent is a critical issue. Can't have a conspiracy if he is was too dumb and/or indifferent to have meant for it to be one. For all we know he just thought that the potus can move documents to his private property (would anyone really be surprised if he did?)
Then again, I am against taking the easy way out and banning someone from running when they may indeed win.
They told him to return the docs. He returned some of them.

That aside, intent matters in some crimes (like, say, homicides). It does not in other crimes (like various sorts of theft). What we're discussing here is the latter.

I think the process is likely much more about continually making demands so
that when he does not comply, he can be found guilty of contempt of court.

I think this is a reasonable hypothesis. That said, we're waiting for the evidence. If it turns out that he'd failed to return named documents that were actually classified, then it's a problem for him. (You return classified documents so that they can be destroyed according to protocol, we don't trust someone else to destroy documents).
As I said, if a team of agents can find the document in the course of hours, it's reasonable that a billionaire can find it in months.

(It doesn't matter if he doesn't know about the documents, he's expected to be responsible for the actions of his underlings and hirees. He's expected to be competent enough to hire someone to find it.)

It does make me wonder - what percentage of docs that a US president will have filed in his own (Oval) office will not be classified at some significant level?

@ El_Machinae

Protocol varies.

I destroyed copies of sensitive documents myself when I no longer had a legitimate use for them.
I didn't see any point in putting them in an envelope and relying on someone else, as that
risked loss of envelope in transit and the possibility the recipient would not securely destroy them.

@ El_Machinae

Protocol varies.

I destroyed copies of sensitive documents myself when I no longer had a legitimate use for them.
I didn't see any point in putting them in an envelope and relying on someone else, as that
risked loss of envelope in transit and the possibility the recipient would not securely destroy them.
Protocol does vary. Are you, or have you ever been, the President of the United States? Do you actually know the protocols you're alluding to, or is this just a rhetorical exercise?

That's always been my thought, but... what if it actually helps him and his Trumpists (notably Gov DeSantis) in 2024?

We know that he's going to tease his supporters about running in '24 right up until he has to actually register or not, which keeps DeSantis and others from actively campaigning. If he gets legally barred from running, despite his no doubt endless ranting about more witchhunts, it gives DeSantis et al the fig leaf to start their runs, "just in case the evil Dems and RINOs get this hoax to stick" etc and the True Trumpians may buy it. In other words, it may mitigate the schism that would otherwise result if DeSantis finally runs against Trump in the primary. I don't see DeSantis doing that - he's not nearly as narcissistic as Trump himself (though that's not saying much) - but eventually he or someone else will try to take the Trumpist lane of the presidential primary and the quicker Trump starts publicly disagreeing with that person (or making them look like his puppet, and Trump's narcissism means he can't not do one or the other) the better.

Sure, but what if this all doesn't get resolved until well into 2024, and Trump, being Trump, insists on running for president anyway, while he's currently under investigation for a crime that could get him barred from holding office?

Protocol does vary. Are you, or have you ever been, the President of the United States? Do you actually know the protocols you're alluding to, or is this just a rhetorical exercise?
Someone else highly unlikely to know those protocols, is Trump ^_^

@ Gorbles

No, not for the POTUS, it is a discussion with El Machinae.

@El_Machinae

Donald Trump was defeated and is yesterday's man.

The opportunity to convict him was at the impeachment.

Having failed on that, they'd do better to ignore rather than martyr him.

Still I am not a US citizen, so I have no dog in this issue.

@ El_Machinae

Protocol varies.

Once upon a time, I was very familiar with the handling of classified material in the US. When of sufficiently high classification, it was actually 'checked out' and its return documented (and then destroyed). We didn't want the person possessing it to destroy it on their own, because #1 they may not do it according to regulations (we had a machine that rendered paper into frikkin powder), and #2 they might not do it at all.

This is all secondary to the fact that continuing to possess classified material is illegal from a 'maintaining secrets' standpoint and/or a 'maintain records of what happened' standpoint. And it's pretty sad (not SAD!, just sad) that we wonder whether Trump's motive here (aside from plain stupidity) is selling secrets in some way, or blurring/erasing the record of his actions. Or, y'know, both.

Once upon a time, I was very familiar with the handling of classified material in the US. When of sufficiently high classification, it was actually 'checked out' and its return documented

I came across the individually formally tracked document process, and complied with it, I think once in my career.

Anyway, until we get a list of what is in the safe, this sub-strand is a little theoretical.

And Joe Biden is POTUS now, perhaps someone might start a thread as to what he is doing.

And Joe Biden is POTUS now, perhaps someone might start a thread as to what he is doing.
Feel free! Would save us space on this endless prevaricating about why Trump might not be responsible for the things he's literally been recorded as doing.

@ Gorbles

No, not for the POTUS, it is a discussion with El Machinae.

@El_Machinae

Donald Trump was defeated and is yesterday's man.

The opportunity to convict him was at the impeachment.

Having failed on that, they'd do better to ignore rather than martyr him.

Still I am not a US citizen, so I have no dog in this issue.
A fan of appeasement and lawlessness, I see.

He did just help to pass a 370 billion dollar bill for climate change action.

Trump however is so much more entertaining than Biden (Trump is entertaining like a dark comedy or cringe, you want to look away, but can't).

Top Bottom