Features you would NOT like to see repeated in Civ 7

Myomoto

King
We've had many talks on what features or gameplay systems we would love to see, either added as DLC to 6, or in a potential Civ 7.

However, what are some design decesions/features you feel missed the mark in 6, and would prefer to not see repeated in 7?

I'll start with one of my biggest pet peeves: Agendas. I get the idea that the designers wanted to give each AI more distinctive personality, but the current agendas just create AIs that act like they have short circuited.

Having Wilhelmina call you up to scream at you for not sending her a trade route when she lives on the opposite side of the planet, and she hasn't even shared the location of her capital with you, is to be honest fairly discombobulating. Or having Harald scold you for the lack of navy in your landlocked empire makes him look like he's gone insane.

I get that agendas were supposed to make the AIs pick on certain players based on their strength/weakness, i.e. Harald should want to declare war on players without a navy to defend themselves - the problem is: ANY AI should want to declare war on someone without proper naval defenses!

I think the agenda system is severely hampering the AIs decision making abilities, and it has created a system of AI opponents that seem more interested in RPing a certain character rather than playing to win a strategy game.

I 100% agree on agendas. I'd also like to see Religious Victory go.

Does the Jersey system count? Because I'd like for it to be removed from my games. Sweden should be blue and yellow so why is white an option sometimes?

I know some people like it, and it might help people with vision problems, so I'm fine with making it optional. But that's one option I'd like to turn off personally.

Does the Jersey system count? Because I'd like for it to be removed from my games. Sweden should be blue and yellow so why is white an option sometimes?

I know some people like it, and it might help people with vision problems, so I'm fine with making it optional. But that's one option I'd like to turn off personally.
I think it was a practical step that needed to happen with so many civs in the game--ever seen Sweden, Pericles, CdM, and Lautaro next to each other? Or Hojo and Tamar? I have. But some jerseys could be better chosen.

How is it they managed perfectly fine with giving every civ in 5 a distinctive set of colours, and in 6 you can end up with like 3-4 civs in the same game, on the same continent, that are all some version of white and red?

I think it was a practical step that needed to happen with so many civs in the game--ever seen Sweden, Pericles, CdM, and Lautaro next to each other? Or Hojo and Tamar? I have. But some jerseys could be better chosen.
I personally could tell the differences between the different civ colors. Like I said I understand why they did it. But I'd rather it be an optional thing.

To counter that argument they ended up getting rid of some nice colors that original civs had, the blood red color used for Aztecs, the rose colored red for Poland, not to mention the turquoise that fit better for Persia. I even liked the jade green for China rather than the dark green they have now. I'm also not sure why Khmer is now Orange and Purple when gold and blue kind of fit the current colors of Cambodia.

Of course I'm glad they updated Australia to the right colors and the Dutch got rid of the brownish orange, and now have a proper orange, but other than that I prefer most of the old colors.

I personally could tell the differences between the different civ colors. Like I said I understand why they did it. But I'd rather it be an optional thing.

To counter that argument they ended up getting rid of some nice colors that original civs had, the blood red color used for Aztecs, the rose colored red for Poland, not to mention the turquoise that fit better for Persia. I even liked the jade green for China rather than the dark green they have now.

Of course I'm glad they updated Australia to the right colors and the Dutch got rid of the brownish orange colors but other than that I prefer most of the old colors.

Meanwhile, Arabia's new colours: :vomit:

I 100% agree on agendas. I'd also like to see Religious Victory go.
Or atleast how it is done in CivVI. In its current iteration it's just a dominianation victory without conquest.

Meanwhile, Arabia's new colours: :vomit:
Didn't they change it back to the original dark green on yellow?
But yes the one with lime green is/was horrendous but I didn't mention it because I thought they changed it back.

I personally could tell the differences between the different civ colors.
It's the minimap that's the problem TBH. The difference between a few pixels of white and two different shades of pale yellow is not easy to distinguish.

Like I said I understand why they did it. But I'd rather it be an optional thing.
You can manually set which jersey is used in advanced setup. Doesn't help if the civs are random, but if you manually choose civs that's an option.

The Agenda System.

If they put that into a new game, I will flat out not buy it. I don't care what they add to it, it's beyond redeemable and makes the AI behave like an erratic child.

The whole friendship system needs complete rework. Guaranteeing nonagresion from t40 till the end of the game is the biggest absurd of civ6

You can manually set which jersey is used in advanced setup. Doesn't help if the civs are random, but if you manually choose civs that's an option.
I usually play with random civs as AI, unless there is a specific civ I haven't interreacted yet like new ones, so that's my main problem with it.

Is the Great Works interface considered a feature? If so, the way it is now moving and organizing them is annoyingly cumbersome. If not, sorry for going off topic.

I personally enjoy the Great Works system but oh my the whole UI needs a redesign. Not to say the unnecessary limits such as "cannot move an Artwork in 10 turns". Theming needs a rework as well, or just bring back the theming system of Civ V.

Yes, the agendas as implemented in civilization VI are stupid. It is an element that adds irrational behavior.
Theological combat is also an annoying thing.
The World congress is a bad joke. The UN as implemented in Civilization 4, where the elected Secretary-General could propose resolutions, made more sense.

I personally enjoy the Great Works system but oh my the whole UI needs a redesign. Not to say the unnecessary limits such as "cannot move an Artwork in 10 turns". Theming needs a rework as well, or just bring back the theming system of Civ V.

Not so much a 'rework' as they just need to redo the theming system of 5. Having to theme stuff based on type alone is way too much micromanagement in 6. At least let us theme on Era or origin Civ as well (i.e. different types, but same era, different civs, or different types, different eras, but same civ.)

Top Bottom