1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FEB 2011 Patch Details

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by swordspider, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

What I don't get is the nerfed/higher cost Work Boat: I could see a lot of people ignoring them for fish until the later game when food becomes more valuable and production more abundant. What's more, the tile can't be pillaged without a boat, so you run no risk while barb galleys are around (though it seems rare for them to pillage sea resources).

2. GCavalry

GCavalry Chieftain

Actually food is more valuable when your city is small and can grow faster than big cities. Farming is also take longer time. In a new city, farming and work hi food tile is always first priority.

Pop is much more value than Civ 4. One pop bring at least 1 science and more than 1 coin from trade rout.

3. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Nevertheless, the Lighthouse seems like a smarter early investment (at least until Compass) for any city with more than one fish: it will up the fish's yield by 2 food and it's costs are reduced. Of course, we don't yet know how much reduced, but it seems plausible that it'd be comparable to two work boats given that atm LH is 80:c5production: and Boats 30.

4. awa81

awa81 Chieftain

I need to start a new game, Before the patch I made 70 gold/turn, after the patch I make -51 gold /turn.

So, how do you make gold with this patch?

5. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Merchants and Great Merchants. And get Economics, quick. :)

6. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Assuming a Golden Age didn't just end for you; chances are you lost most of the gold from the following change:

Trade route income now mostly based on population of the non-capital. And each trade route reduces the worth of the next by 1.

Edit: Also trading posts yield one less gold per tile.

7. Ibian

Ibian King

Huh. Interesting. Hit to ICS, low numbers of big cities won't care, and selling luxury resources just became more important. Nifty.

8. formivore

formivore Chieftain

Started a game with new patch.

Initial thoughts:
    Granary is pretty good now, can often get 4 :c5food: or more for 70 :c5production:. It seems better than the aqueduct pre-renaissance. If the granary gives you 4 :c5food:, you need to maintain a 6 :c5food: average surplus to match with aqueduct. Aqueduct is twice as expensive. I don't really see going off of an education beeline to get it.

There are more sheep/cows around now and with tradition base your borders will expand to grab them. This improves early food/hammers.

Also seems like there's more barbs than before.

9. joncnunn

I don't see this as Granary vs Aqueduct; you want both.
    In fact the Aqueduct has a lot of synergy when built in a city that already has an Granary.

Yes, build Granary before Aqueduct, but if on a river you want the Water Mill before both. And if the city is coastal and has fish resources you want the Workboat(s) and Lighthouse before the Aqueduct as well.

Has the patch made ranging barbarians the default? I'm also noticing the AI having problems against the barbs. (One of my warrior as explorer seeing a barbarian settler in an encampment)

10. formivore

formivore Chieftain

The changes to TPs and trade routes would have been an EXCELLENT excuse for nerfing the 10 GPT you still get from lux trades. Dammit why didn't they do that. The increased border push from Tradiberty (Libertrad? Liberdition?) makes a settle-the-luxes strategy even more of a no-brainer.

11. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

Playing as Americans; I'm loving how cheap it is to buy tiles with the Angkor Wat. Alexander doesn't love it, but that's his problem.

The free Settler from Liberty was nice; I could time it for when I was good and ready.

I actually looked for high-deer city sites to settle! (I was near Tundra).

Haven't built a Trading Post yet; I've been relying on a super-capitol to provide me with my early game gold, and it's working well enough. Of course, I was America, with their Riverside starts. ;)

12. hellboy909

hellboy909 Chieftain

•Nuclear and Solar Plants now require Factory

This seems kinda unfair. If you don't have any coal you get screwed out of Solar AND Nuke plants? *dislike*

•Granary gives bonus 1 food for Wheat/Banana Deer

What's a Banana Deer?

And I see they still haven't changed to absurd Iron requirement for Catapults (but not for Cannons???). Makes zero sense.

13. dubrown

dubrown Prince

It's still easy to gain coal, by trading for it or by allying a CS with the resource. And you only need coal while building the factory, after that it'll not need coal and still give you benefits.

14. hellboy909

hellboy909 Chieftain

I'm having the same problem. My usual strategy used to have me swimming in gold. Not anymore. Also, income seems to fluctuate wildly for no reason that I can discern.

15. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Currency--->markets(mints if needed)--->National treasury--->golden ages--->bank in the NT city

16. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

I'm late in a game as Polynesia (continents, standard everything, immortal), and I am making 300+ GPT. You can still make a lot of gold, but you need to get past economics to get the game back to pre patch gold levels. And as Tabarnak alluded to, you need to have a couple of cities optimized for gold production.

17. joncnunn

Biggest reason income will go up and down is entering/ending a golden age.

The only other thing that would cause gross income to go up and down is changing tiles your workers are working back and forth between production & trade tiles. Your governors may be trying to adjust and overcompensating particularly if for some turns gross income is less than expenses. So you may want to lock in some of the tiles.

As to net income; roads cost 1 gold per tile. After you connect the cities then you'll get a trade route to increase your income, but not until it's created.

And just about every building carries a maintenance cost as well. So if you have some cities currently building Markets and others currently building Libraries, there will be swings in net income as the structures complete.