Feedback thread

Alright, hopefully I don't come off as too much of a whiny ass with this. I'm completely new to Civ4, so here's my wall of text of issues as purely an Alpha Centauri fan (specifically, a Hive player):

1. Tech Trading Doesn't Really Make Sense
It doesn't seem to make sense, from a fluff perspective, why the default setting don't allow tech brokering. Turning it on, however, means that the first faction to get Holographics ends up way ahead in tech. Frankly, SMAC's tech trading system worked fine, and I don't see what the point of changing it is.

2. No Natural Rivalries
As a Yang player, this just completely changes the game. The name of the game in SMAC was trying to keep yourself from fighting too many factions at once - going Police State would always put me at odds with Lal and Miriam, and going Planned would irk Morgan and Deirdre. If I chose to go Wealth, I'd be on the bad sides of Zakharov and Santiago as well, meaning wars happening 24/7. I recognize this didn't happen to such a large extent with the other factions, but losing all the natural rivalries between different factions and their chosen ideologies hurts the game, I think. If I'm playing Zakharov, I'd like to encounter the Believers and be a little worried. Now, rather than opposing ideologies, we just have a bunch of groups on Planet who mostly just leave one-another alone. Like in SMAC, it'd be nice to have the factions so hostile towards one-another that they essentially sounded like they were blaming each other for Earth's downfall. On that same note, it'd add a bit of flavor to each of the factions if they were once again forbidden from using their hated civic.

3. Borders and Religions
Maybe this is a Civ4 issue more than anything else, but I strongly preferred being able to pass through rival borders without a formal passage agreement for a relation hit. It's terribly annoying when you have to turn your Scout Patrol back around in the canyon they were exploring just because another faction controls one square in said canyon. As to religions, I'm not certain what they add other than more busywork. Though, it's possible I just haven't grasped exactly what you can do with them. Even then, though, they seem more like subcomponents of different faction ideologies - things the factions should have already.

4. Slow Growth
Again, probably a Civ4 thing, but it's annoying having to wait and do nothing as your only base spends 20 turns producing a colony pod.

5. Terraforming
It doesn't really feel like there's much terraforming at all - just building labs and the like. If Civ4's engine allows it, we should be changing terrain types, drilling for aquifers, and all that.

Then, since Civ4 has no Unit Workshop, I don't think there's any reason not to have faction unique units or anything.

On the bright side of things I really like, some of the new terrain and buildings are pretty cool - the DNA, and the Empath Guilds - specifically, the quote that plays when you build them. That's exactly the sort of thing that should be in the game. And the model for Scout Patrols looks really perfect.

After having played Caveman 2 Cosmos for months, if was nice to take a break from it, and play some other mod for a while (before returning to C2C :rolleyes:). I realize this mod is dead. However, I still need to get this complaint out of my system, no matter if someone is gong to reply or not: Why can't I raze cities? How are one supposed to win a military victory if you have to keep all those cities? More to the point, I was playing as Miriam and chose to adopt Edenism as I thought it suited them. As a result, I was determined to destroy every fungus I could find, and to keep the Planet Awareness-meter down. Pollute and destroy the environment, Earth style. As a result, nearly everyone declared war on me, and I started to produce In Vitros like mad, and captured a city... and could not raze it. And another, same thing. Sensing a pattern, I tried to see if something in game was preventing me from razing cities. Switched to "no member" but that did not help. Searched the forums and finally found out the mod does not allow you to raze cities at all.

Ok, there are so many problems with this. 1. Many cities take a lot of time to govenrn. 2. you have to switch civics to be able to hold on to all those cities without getting bankrupt. 3. You have to be able to defend them from others And so on.

But for me, in that game (that I discarded because of this) keeping the cities means that I have no easy way of keeping the Planet Awareness-meter down. There is no way of removing religions that I now of, or of removing buildings. Sure, I can change the improvements, but still, I would rather just have wanted to raze those cities. This decision of not allowing you to raze citied really ruined the game for me. That was a shame, since the game was otherwise very nicely done.

If you start a custom game, you can enable city razing. If you start the "Planet" scenario, it is unfortunately switched off.

Hey, been gone for almost 2 years and had to get my fix, lol I like some, but not all of the new stuff.
First, the art on the resources is really good. I didn't save any games from (I think) v 12 so not sure exactly how much is new.

But in reply to the base razing, I can't do either and I think I started a custom game and ticked the box. I play as Svensgaard and had to look in the forums to see how to get Pirates.
I mean I went through all the selections for start, size, atmosphere, etc. So, is that Not a custome game?

I have forgotten a lot in 2 years, so enlighten me.
Also, I finally got Destroyers, but when I move into position at 1 tile range, I cannot bombard, leaving fungal towers on land to hit me once and I'm sunk!
I haven't played a bunch, yet, with the new patch installed, so I'll be searching these threads for other comments when I find something that I can't get around.
Again kudos for all the hard work to Maniac and LT and All.

Fantastic Work! thank you for the mod but I'd love to see artillery/large navy units have a ranged bombard ability. much like the base bunkers that are in version 16.

If this could be added I think I'm hooked again just like in SMAC days!!:goodjob:

But in reply to the base razing, I can't do either and I think I started a custom game and ticked the box.

If you ticked the box, I have no idea what could be wrong.

Also, I finally got Destroyers, but when I move into position at 1 tile range, I cannot bombard, leaving fungal towers on land to hit me once and I'm sunk!

Ranged units can't do ranged strikes whle positioned on fungus.

Alright, I finished my second full-game playthrough a while back and figured I through my next two cents in. This is a phenomenal mod.

1. Why do the "Drop Troopers" have such a goofy graphic? I've always imagined they should look the Mobile Infantry from the Starship Troopers novel. Why the flappy arms and green laser eyes?

2. The AI does not proactively defend it's cities very well.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Hey Maniac, any chance of updating the German translation of the game if I provide you with the necessary files? I've done some work on it, currently in v.16e, and I would be very grateful if you integrated it into your files (so I do not have to do it all again once the next version hits...).

Great; thank you!

As for a changelog, I posted in the German translation thread a few months back. Apart from what I mentioned there, I also worked on the civics and espionage menus.

Attachments

• Text.zip
    209 KB · Views: 244
What is wrong with the Manifold factions, why are they not working properly ? They have no Civilopedia faction description, Marr doesn't even have a leader trait and no unique buildings/units. Both not selectable and seemingly also not spawnable.

They were never implemented. Just one of the many potential future features if I hadn't lost interest in further developing the mod by that time.

Top Bottom