Fewer religions

tu_79

Deity
In BNW religion seems a bit underpowered, to the point some players completely disregard it. I may generate faith, but for GP purchasing. Be a founder of a religion is usually too much work with few advantages, moreso when your cities become religious anyway.

Part of the problem is that you need to push your religion and fight actively against other founders, thus losing faith in that religion game. Even winning the game, you may achieve to convert your cities and one or two other civs, before you are clearly winning the match.

I think this could be addressed by removing religious players. 1 religious player every 3 civs (rounded up) should be enough to get a nice bonus worth investing. That is 1 religion with 2 players, 2 religions with 4 players, 3 religions with 8 players, and so.

To add a little realism without changing balance, religions could be earned like in BNW, every next one needing more faith to found the religion, but getting also an extra prophet for every rank. That is, second religion gets 1 free prophet, third religion gets 2 free prophets, and so. Being late to a religion won't be so punishing and first religions still get big bonuses in a time.

Pantheons and beliefs need to be fewer but stronger. When I don't found a religion I don't really care which religion come to my cities, as long as there is one, or just care about diplomatic options (share religion with a civ). If a follower belief is too good for my current path of victory, then I'll try to get converted to that religion and avoid others. Beliefs could greatly enhance tile improvements (one for luxuries, other for strategic resources) or a play style (city connections, foreign trading routes, capital growth). I find too limiting when only plantations or mines are rewarded.

Nah, fewer religions would mean even greater pressure to become a founder, and less actual conversion competitions. Fewer holy wars, which are historically very important. Fewer instances of religions permanently dying out very early because the founding civilization was completely eliminated, which is also historically accurate. This adds a lot of flavor, and I like how it currently works. Really, the only thing I dislike is that religious cities undoubtedly have an advantage over non-religious ones throughout the game. This is why I'm suggesting a +3 science bonus to non-religious cities, starting in the Renaissance era. The bonus is doubled every subsequent era.

Really, I think the number of foundable religions is in a good place right now. Not too many that basically everyone has one, but not too few so as to drastically reduce the competition. If Theodora is in the game, she can add 1 more for inter-religious struggle, and I think that's great.

I pushed like crazy to get number of religions lowered to the number it is at now, I would probably welcome it being lower but I think it is kinda fine now.

I really like playing the religious civs and would hate to see less religion in the game. making your religion supreme is like a fun an rewarding mini-game on top of the military an cultural battles taking place.

I like it so much that I almost wish there was a religious victory route! Don't really know how it could work out though.

Maybe if there could be an option in game setup to determine the # of religions available in game. Like a slider similar to the # of city states.

Maybe if there could be an option in game setup to determine the # of religions available in game. Like a slider similar to the # of city states.

It is already possible to adjust the number of religions, although not in game. You've got to go through the files: MODS/(2) Community Balance Patch/Balance Changes/Difficulty/DifficultyMod.sql. Look for a text that says "-- Update # of Max Religions (mapsize)". Below this text you can set the wanted number of religions to each mapsize. For example, if you want to have 3 religions when playing on standard size map, you should modify the file to look like this:

UPDATE Worlds
SET MaxActiveReligions = '3'
WHERE Type = 'WORLDSIZE_STANDARD' AND EXISTS (SELECT * FROM COMMUNITY WHERE Type='COMMUNITY_CORE_BALANCE' AND Value= 1 );

Once you're done with the changes you want, just save and you're good to go. I'd suggest not to go crazy with the number of religions. I don't think the game appreciates it if there are for example more religions than founder beliefs.

I really like playing the religious civs and would hate to see less religion in the game. making your religion supreme is like a fun an rewarding mini-game on top of the military an cultural battles taking place.

I like it so much that I almost wish there was a religious victory route! Don't really know how it could work out though.

Wow, I didn't think of that. Winning a religious victory could be something. Convert all capitals? Convert all Holy Cities? Convert 2/3 of the world population?
Actually, you can still play the religious game with fewer founders, just need to press harder to get one, and the reward is bigger.

Wow, I didn't think of that. Winning a religious victory could be something. Convert all capitals? Convert all Holy Cities? Convert 2/3 of the world population?
Actually, you can still play the religious game with fewer founders, just need to press harder to get one, and the reward is bigger.

If this was implemented, and I think it unlikely it will, you would need to hold those converted cities for x turns for it to be worthwhile, otherwise you just amass a few Great Prophets, send them to their respective targets and convert all in one go. Not too subtle and definitely not something I would won't happening to me.

If this was implemented, and I think it unlikely it will, you would need to hold those converted cities for x turns for it to be worthwhile, otherwise you just amass a few Great Prophets, send them to their respective targets and convert all in one go. Not too subtle and definitely not something I would won't happening to me.

There could be a victory wonder that unlocks when you have converted 90% of the population. It would cost a ton of production just to force you to hold the cities

I have no expectation that this victory style would ever get implemented just throwing out ideas for fun!

There could be a victory wonder that unlocks when you have converted 90% of the population. It would cost a ton of production just to force you to hold the cities

Yes, the Church of the Only God Left. Congrats! You are officially the great spiritual leader of all humanship.
I have no expectation that this victory style would ever get implemented just throwing out ideas for fun!
Same here!

ExpiredReign said:

And you probably would have to time your attack, or other civs will shoot your Great Prophets on sight. Need to take control of their Holy Cities and watch out for new enemy Prophets. Seems difficult enough and fun.

Top Bottom