FFA01 - Free for all succession game

@Andygal: Maybe you're running a mod that causes regular saved games to die?

Things are looking good for Egypt. Perhaps a war with Japan in the near future?

Turn 0 – 1240 BC
We have Horses, Marble and Sheep hooked up
No defense in Thebes or Memphis

Goals this round are:
• Hook up gold, pigs, corn, clams and bronze
• Build defense

For some reason the pigs don’t connect to the city across the lake in Heliopolis?

Turn 1 – 1200 BC
Borders of Elephantine have expanded!

Turn 2 – 1160 BC
Forest chop gives 60 hammers toward Oracle, will be done in 2
Gold mine in Helipolis completes, now hook it up

Turn 3 – 1120 BC
Sent worker to Memphis to help hook up corn

Turn 4 – 1080 BC
We have founded Judaism! Monotheism discovered! The pen and paperless scribes of the land start scrawling lines in the dirt with sticks……
We have completed the Oracle! We take Iron Working as our free tech as we need the drop on Tokugawa for Iron sources if it looks like war in the future.
Heliopolis builds Archer -> Obelisk. We want to seal that border.
We have discovered two sources of Iron, neither one inside our borders. One in the barren, Northerns reaches and the other outside of Anasazi. The Barbarian hordes must be conquered……errr….pacified.
http://webpages.charter.net/codeboy/Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/codeboy/Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Turn 5 – 1040 BC
I’ve been working on the……..road. All the live long day!

Turn 6 – 1000 BC
Stonehenge was built in a far away land
Thebes was still set for production for the Oracle, I take it off so it can grow

Turn 7 – 975 BC
Thebes builds workboat -> Archer. We still have no defense!
The war chariot has finally healed. Grease that puppy up, it’s time to roll!

Turn 8 – 950 BC
We have given up using sticks to “write” with and now are using actual writing utensils!
Completed Writing -> Monarchy. We have a lot of wines to hook up.
Memphis builds Chariot -> Archer. Our workboat hooks up Clams

http://webpages.charter.net/codeboy/Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

We begin our assault on the treacherous barbarians at Anasazi….
We mercilessly destroy a barbarian warrior with our war chariot taking no damage!

Turn 9 – 925 BC
Heliopolis builds Obelisk -> Archer
The assault on Anasazi continues, our war chariot, emboldened by its previous victory attacks again. We defeat another barbarian warrior again taking no damage! Anasazi is ours!

http://webpages.charter.net/codeboy/Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

Turn 10 – 900 BC
The pigs near Heliopolis are hooked up.

Recap
Completed Obelisk and founded Judaism. We captured the barbarian city of Anasazi that has Iron, Pigs, Corn and more Wine within its borders. I have started building a road toward Elephantine and when that worker gets there we can hook up the bronze there. We have built up a few defensive units and will be ready to expand again to the North soon.

Looking good.

However, I have three comments:
1. Why pick Iron Working as the free tech? Revealing Iron is good but I think Metal Casting is the most expensive tech you can get after Bronze Working. :D
2. Don't build archers if you're Egypt. Build War Chariots! They cost the same and can easily attack Tokugawa *hint hint*. :ar15:
3. Merry Christmas. :band:

Robo Mike said:
Looking good.

However, I have three comments:
1. Why pick Iron Working as the free tech? Revealing Iron is good but I think Metal Casting is the most expensive tech you can get after Bronze Working. :D
2. Don't build archers if you're Egypt. Build War Chariots! They cost the same and can easily attack Tokugawa *hint hint*. :ar15:
3. Merry Christmas. :band:

Hmmmm, interesting points. I guess the reason I chose Iron Working over Metal Casting was just because of Tokugawa. I wanted to be able to ID and seize any sources of iron before he may have a chance to. But I see your point.

My bad on the archers. I forgot that the War Chariot was the UU. Their strenght is 5 so you are right. Sorry bout that :(

:goodjob: Merry Christmas to you too!! Enjoy everyone :king:

Hi Morred sorry for not making it clear that I'm not taking it (seeing as I've taken a turn before I don't want to take it again soon). Good luck, and Merry Christmas. :band:

Well, things look reasonably steady, and we have 5 well placed cities, and our workers are doing their job. However, they are all of relatively small size considering how far we are into the game already.

My goals:
Make sure all the cities get some new population points and hopefully some extra culture.
Start building up some more military to take out Tokugawa later.

0th Turn (900 BC): A lot of Micromanagement, move around some tiles for maximum effect, and I change a few units into buildings. Much to my horror, we have 1 decent defensive unit (archer) in all of our cities combined :eek: . So I can’t start on granaries or anything else useful for a few turns.

1st Turn (875 BC): Heliopolis grows to 4, Archer trained in Thebes, I start on a Library, which will bring Thebes’ science output to 16, which means we’ll still be up there science wise when the science rate is turned down (which I’ll have to do soon, we’re losing 6 gold a turn here!) I promote the archer to City Garrison 1, and fortify him. By the way, the Library is set to take 10 turns.

2nd Turn (850 BC): Apparently I just got access to gold, excellent. I move a worker toward Elephantine to start taking advantage of the resources there. I get another worker to build a road toward some horses near heliopolis. Thebes grows to 4 population. I do a bit of tile juggling, and it is set to grow in 10 (rather than 28) and the Library is due in 12 (Rather than 9).

3rd Turn (825 BC): Anasazai comes out of resistance, and I quickly move it to an archer. I set a worker on a cottage near Memphis.

4th Turn (800 BC): Heliopolis’ borders expand, which brings them next to Tokugawa’s. These are some very quiet turns :sleep:

5th Turn (775 BC): I have to cut back on the Science rate to 80%, as we were losing 8 gold a turn, and we’re on 14 gold. Hmm, two more turns until an Amazasai border expansion, and we need it, to grab that Iron and wine (which we can use in 3 turns).

6th Turn (750 BC): Archer is completed in Memphis, start on a Granary, due in 9 turns. I fortify the archer.

7th Turn (725 BC): Excellent, out borders expand and we can use that Iron and Wine, as well as some Corn further to the north :beer: . We can now also see Japan’s city near us, Edo. With a population of 2. The worker finally gets to Elephantine, and starts on a copper mine.

8th Turn (700 BC): Monarchy finally discovered, I go for Code of Laws, as we desperately need courthouses. Judaism has spread to Memphis. Lighthouse finished in Elephantine, I start on a Granary. I move a worker toward some Wine Resources. As a note to the next player, Elephantine is currently going for growth, so I suggest once it reaches 3 population, you cut down on it a little, otherwise the Granary will take 57 turns!

9th Turn (675 BC): Judaism spreads to Satsuma (a Japanese city!) via Coast. Excellent. I swap back to 90% science at a 1 gold loss to get us Code of Laws a few turns earlier.

10th Turn (650 BC): Tokugawa converts to Judaism, score :jesus: ! And that’s it from me. I only managed the first part of our goals, but I managed to upgrade our defenses substantially. I suggest we wait to build more cities until we can sail to new islands. I also suggest we take out Tokugawa sooner rather than later, perhaps push for Construction (Catapult)?

Picture: http://www.fileupyours.com/files/10513/Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Save: http://www.fileupyours.com/files/10513/FFA1 BC%-0650.Civ4SavedGame

Note: That’s the first time I’ve ever done turns/a report/a SG game so I hope you can forgive any reporting lapses

No prob. I was still wondering why everyone is still not building War Chariots so that the next player can attack Tokugawa? :|

Next player: Post if you got it and play it in the next 48 hours after your post.

I imagine it is probably the same reason I did it. I forgot that War Chariots were Egypt's UU and as you pointed out, it costs less and is equal on defense. That was my mistake :blush: but I'm imagining that Morred didn't read your last post very closely? :confused:

Anyway, with Tokugawa cornered and Iron soon within our grasps, we should make short work of him. Judaism is liable to spread to his other cities while we are building up our assault forces too. That will help us out if we pop a Great Prophet and can build our shrine :goodjob:

Who's up next?

Okay, all done.

After taking a look at the situation, I decided we had two big faults:
1) The lack of offensive units. We're stuck on this island with Tokugawa for a bit, and we're going to need some firepower to take him out.
2) More importantly: the lack of workers! We've got a forest-rich start here, but not enough help around to chop rush effectively.

Sorry I don't have screenshots for you, but here's a recap of events:

650 BC (0): I make the switch to slavery. Since I'm playing 1.52, this saves us 1gpt. And as spiritual, it doesn't cost us anything to switch.
I also cancel the outstanding Archer production in Heliopolis. Although this "wastes" 10 shields, we were about to rollover 5 more shields into an archer we don't really have any use for. I don't believe in throwing good money after bad.
Lastly, I move the War Chariot stationed in Memphis, and start him on the path to Anasazi. Since this is our closest point of contact with Tokugawa, I figure this is where he'll be most needed.

625 BC (1): Granary in Heliopolis completes. Starts barracks, in preparation for war with Tokugawa.
I notice one of Tokugawa's workers just a touch too close to our borders in Anasazi. I move the War Chariot out in preparation to snatch him if I get the chance.
The borders of Thebes expand and reveal a hill on a new island to the south.

600 BC (2): Tokugawa doesn't move the worker. I declare war and collect my free labor. The new worker begins on the iron mine.

575 BC (3): Edo's lone archer falls and we liberate our first city from Tokugawa's cruel reign!
A Roman warrior moves onto the hill of the new island, and we make peace with Caesar.

550 BC (4): Copper is connected!
Thebes finishes the library, and we start it on another worker.
Someone discovers Confucianism.
Thanks to Judaism, I can see Tokugawa's got some spearmen to the northwest. Since this frightens my little war chariots, I move one to explore his southwestern territory.

525 BC (5): I move a newly completed archer out of Anasazi and towards Edo for additional defense. Anasazi begins work on granary.
Memphis' granary is complete. Work begins on worker.

500 BC (6): zzzzz

475 BC (7): Tokugawa's warrior advances into our territory. I move the archer from Thebe's to block his progress.

450 BC (8): We kill Tokugawa's lone warrior near our capital. The eastern half of our empire should be safe for now.
We have found a horse pasture and Osaka to the southwest. The odds are against us to attack Osaka, so I pillage his horses. Also, it looks like this may connect to the "new" island we saw the Romans on.

425 BC (9): Worker completed in Thebes. He begins chop rushing an axeman. Chop goes off in Memphis, finishes worker (with plenty of surplus).
Iron connected!
War chariot begins return trip.

400 BC (10): I debate between a 3 turn barracks or a 1 turn swordsman in Memphis; decide on the barracks because it will be better in the long run. The new worker moves into the woods to chop.

Well, that's about it. I doubled the number of workers we have (to 6); I think we could probably still use a few more. Maybe we'll get lucky and steal some more from Tokugawa over the coming years.

Our first axeman pops out next turn in Heliopolis; the Thebes one should only be a turn or so behind it (when the chop goes off). Hopefully those guys can clear out the spearmen so our chariots can go-a-pillaging. We've also got access to swordsmen now, which will be better for taking down any cities like Osaka that are just guarded by archers.

We're 1 turn away from Code of Laws, I didn't think a whole lot about research, since I knew nothing would complete during my turn. But I'd recommend heading in the general direction of Construction -- if this war drags on we're going to need those cats. Literature is also tempting -- with marble we could pick up the Great Library cheap, and we've already got the prereq for it built in the capital.

Sorry if you guys feel like I jumped the gun on declaring war. The free worker and poorly defended Edo were just too nice to pass up. =)

Best of luck!

Attachments

• FFA1 BC-0400.zip
    148.4 KB · Views: 97
We have quite a few cities but are hurting economically, running at 50% science with -2 gpt deficit. I rework some city tiles to up the gpt to +1. Also, I switch some of the smaller cities from granary to worker production. The few military productions stay as is since we are after all in a war.

Here's basically what happened during my 10 turns.

Seeing that we're in a war, and that taking care of Tokugawa will get us the entire continent to ourselves, I decided to start working on a mini-axemen/war chariot rush. Since we didn't have all the road network connecting our cities at the time, it was taking quite a few turns to move them. I built a couple more workers and they're helping in this regard, along with chopping and working winery for commerce. We need several more workers as our terrain could use some shaping up, and to that end a couple of our cities are still building workers.

Code of Laws was founded on my turn 1, so afterwards I started for Alphabet. At the end of my ten turns, it's a couple turns from finishing. Once it finishes we can trade/extort/whatever. Depending on how our war with Tokugawa goes, we can extort techs from him before making peace or wipe him off the face of this planet.:D

Swordsmen from Tokugawa came out and threatened our city of Edo a couple times, and like I said it was taking a long time to move our military units all the way from capital and other nearby cities to Edo due to the lack of completed road network. My war chariots got there in the nick of time and have been managing to hold them off, however. Axemen are coming along at a steady pace now, so Edo seems to be safe for now.

At the start of my turns, our treasury was something like 9 gold and losing 1 gpt at 50% science (and I never lowered it below 50% during my turns). Due to the rush of military units + cities growing, our commerce has been taking more hits. So needless to say we were dangerously close to going bankrupt. But with some micromanaging of the tiles, timely chop-rushing, and TAKING TOKYO at my 10th turn, we managed to replenish our treasury :goodjob: So I raised science to 60% and we're losing something like 6 gpt right now but we have over 100 gold to easily continue the war effort. Tokugawa only has 3 cities left anyway.:p

The road network/resource hookup is coming along, I also mined another gold hill that should help with commerce. More wineries would be welcome. Basically have 2-3 cities keep chugging out mostly axemen and some chariots as they are now and focus the other cities on stuff like commerce and infrastructure. Before we know it we'll have the continent.:lol: And then we can finally go all-out with research and libraries and wonders and whatnot.

Seems like Caesar built Pyramids during my turns. We still have a few wonders but I've been focusing on war and infrastructure.

Our empire:View attachment 109109
Good luck
View attachment 109110

Just to note, I didn't build any offensive units, as if I did, we would have been steamrolled, as we had something like 1 archers in all of our cities combined.

Morred said:
Just to note, I didn't build any offensive units, as if I did, we would have been steamrolled, as we had something like 1 archers in all of our cities combined.

But Archers are only 3 strength. With the 50% bonus for defending a city, that's 4.5. If the archer is fully fortified, you can squeeze that up to 5.25. And if the city happens to be on a hill, you can squeeze it up to 5.25. War Chariots, on the other hand, are a natural 5. Which means in most cities they're going to be just slightly worse at defending (and given the way combat works, this is only going to matter for other strength 5 units). In addition, they're more mobile and they don't have to sit in the city to have any chance of surviving. Which means you can actually attack incoming enemies before they pillage all your improvements. Throw in their chance for withdrawal, and there's really no reason to build archers at all.

If your enemy throws anything weaker than axemen at you, your war chariots can clean them up without a problem.

If your enemy is using axemen or better, it would take at least two archers for each axeman to securely hold a city. With two war chariots instead, you could kill those axe/swordsmen in the field and have a decent chance (20%) that your "suicide" first attacker would withdraw and live to fight another day.

The only caveat here is spearmen -- they're obviously going to ruin a war chariots day. But archers aren't really the best answer to spearmen, either -- axemen are.

It's important to get out of the Civ II / Civ III mindset, where you needed one generic "defender" type for your cities and one generic "attacker" type to take out your enemies.

I beg to differ, although technically it would be like that, it is completely different, especially with a new patch. One archer can effectively hold off a stack of up to 4 axemen/Swords. With 0% defence on the city. Chariots just can't do that.

Personally, I prefer offense to defense, although that's not to say I like starting wars. Archers can't really prevent pillaging of the countryside, and that's where the real hurt is.

Nice work guys. I'm really interested to see how this game goes on.

Who's gonna grab the game next and continue the war?

Top Bottom