FfH2 0.32 Balance Feedback

Couple balance issues about some events

Constellation event for evil civs that can give them 100+ beakers or for a mere 50 gold a great prophet, feels overpowered to be able to get that on turn 1.

Graveyard event where you have the choice to spend gold to build a graveyard be evil or don't have either and get +1 sickness in every city for the rest of the game, it really should be limited to a duration instead of permanent, I had the event two times in a row and if I didn't have the gold I would of had -2 health for the whole game.

I was looking at the unitinfos and I noticed that both adepts and mages have a workrate of 300 while archmages have a workrate of 400. I think there should be a difference between the workrate of an adept and a mage. My suggestion is to set the workrates to 200, 400, and 600 respectively. as the cost of a node is 1200 it will work out nicely this way.

After playing some games in 0.32 i have to say im disappointed a bit by the new implementation of the circle of gaelan.

Sorcery seems so late (also many other events can trigger at that time so the chance also seems smaller) and even though i clearly reached it first it never triggered for me (in about 5 or 6 Games where i was first to sorcery.) :(. Once it even triggered at about 200 Turns (about Turn 450 normal Speed) after me researching sorcery for one of my vassals.
And the whole thing was with living world turned on most of the time so the chance for it occuring should have even been higher than usual i reckon.

Also while i can understand KoE seems to early (especially for advanced Start) i have to say putting gaelan to socery robs him of anything really special (since wizzards will be without big effort then).

Perhaps the circle + Gaelan himself should be 1.) put down to Alteration or Necromancy / another of the sphere-techs (whichever seems most fitting for Gaelan and most in need of a plus.) and 2.) also increase his chance to trigger the event.

That might help to see the circle more constantly which it clearly should as well as make Gaelan himself a bit more special + help the guild make more of an impact and as an added plus beef up one of the sphere-techs.

Also the guilds gained from Catacomb Libralus perhaps should be fixed to allow the event.

Perhaps also give him one or two spells which are special just to him, in line with Tier 2 mage-power-level? (That last thing seems to be the least needed of the lot though.)

@Blackmantle
I had Circle of Gaelan as Khazad, and I don't think I'd researched sorcery (why would I?).

Then it should be buggy for you or you are playing an older version. ;)

To back it up here an exerpt from the changelog for 0.32.a

Patch "a":
4. Circle of Gaelen events now require you to have the Sorcery tech before they will trigger.

Pre 0.32.a it required just KoE which might indeed have been a bit early.

Or (wild guess): It only requires anyone in the game to have researched sorcery and you to have a mage guild. Which whould be a clear bug. (Whouldn't change anything in regards to my request though. Although it might explain me not getting it, should it indeed be that way.)

Otherwise: What you said.

What I would suggest is that only the second and third events have Tech Requirements.

First Event: Random chance, can happen anytime after you get a Mage Guild. Locks you in as the player who shall get Gaelan events, and lets you know that there is now extra incentive to get Sorcery researched.

Second Event: Happens the turn after you get Alteration/Divination/Elementalism/Necromancy, as long as the first event has been cleared properly. (Multiple OR requirement Techs is easily done with current Schema).

Third Event: Happens the turn after you get Sorcery, as long as the second event was cleared properly.

As long as the weight is set to -1 on the second and third events, they will work properly. This method has the potential to break them up so that you do not see all 3 events immediately back-to-back (you would see that if you had already researched Sorcery by the time you got the first event though).

What I would suggest is that only the second and third events have Tech Requirements.

First Event: Random chance, can happen anytime after you get a Mage Guild. Locks you in as the player who shall get Gaelan events, and lets you know that there is now extra incentive to get Sorcery researched.

Second Event: Happens the turn after you get Alteration/Divination/Elementalism/Necromancy, as long as the first event has been cleared properly. (Multiple OR requirement Techs is easily done with current Schema).

Third Event: Happens the turn after you get Sorcery, as long as the second event was cleared properly.

As long as the weight is set to -1 on the second and third events, they will work properly. This method has the potential to break them up so that you do not see all 3 events immediately back-to-back (you would see that if you had already researched Sorcery by the time you got the first event though).

This is exactly how I set it up in my game. And I gave gaelan chaneling 3 to make him worth getting.

I prefer just letting you upgrade Gaelen to an archmage. Or having him rely on my Tower of Mastery change. Giving him a unit specific spell could be nice too.

I am really liking making The Tower of Mastery grant Channeling 3 (<bApplyFreePromotionOnMove>1) to arcane units, and think it should be like this in the main game. I don't like the Tower as a victory condition, but I want a reason to build it anyway. Allowing all your mages to learn archmage spells (but not giving this ability to mere adepts) is quite fun. Upgrading to archmages still isn't pointless though, since it gives free promotions

Out-of-balance event:

5 unhappy (as per whip... dozens of turns until the last wears off) and -1 population.

It happened to my capital twice in ~10 turns.

Spare me the agony of watching my cap starve and just make the event -50% population instead, or nerf it.

Is it possible to make worker actions available earlier? I was playing on monarch/ normal speed and an AI hadn't built a gold mine on turn 200. Right next to its capital...

If this is not desirable, could an advanced start be added where everyone starts with the early worker techs (farming, mining, plantations and chopping for example)? As it is, the first advanced start option gives you 3 whole tiers of the tech tree. Perhaps make it so it's just one tier? (What is a tier anyway?)

It would make for funner games if all these capitals weren't still completely surrounded by forest when my hippus horsemen come galloping in...

Just a thought, or two. :)

I think high priests need to be able to promote at level 4 or 5 instead of level 6, by the time I managed to farm enough experience with a confessor to upgrade him to a high priest (26 exp), I won the game from domination 10 turns later.

And if you somehow manage to get the high priest killed, your not likely going to find any replacements compared to a archmage and the tons of mages waiting for a promote.

Yeah, I've never understood why High Priests are so hard to get. Normal priests are anything but combat units, yet they need to go from 0 to 26 in order to get their upgrade... and those upgrades aren't exactly archmages.

Maybe make the spiritual trait give bonus xp to their divine units?

Yeah, I've never understood why High Priests are so hard to get. Normal priests are anything but combat units, yet they need to go from 0 to 26 in order to get their upgrade... and those upgrades aren't exactly archmages.

Maybe make the spiritual trait give bonus xp to their divine units?

I like this idea, particularly if a Clan-friendly religion gets implemented at some point, because it'll make Jonas more interesting.

On a related note, does Rantine really need to cost 180 hammers on Standard speed? I know he's pretty handy if you know what to do with him (I pretty much don't), but geez.

An exploit?

An event allowed me to build a graveyard next to my capital. I raided it and received a free tech.

On another note is there a constellation event favorable to the Bannor or Order? If so, I haven't seen one yet.

An exploit?

An event allowed me to build a graveyard next to my capital. I raided it and received a free tech.

On another note is there a constellation event favorable to the Bannor or Order? If so, I haven't seen one yet.

Not an exploit; it might have been spectres instead.

There's definitely an Order event, but I haven't seen a Bannor one. Probably it's in there somewhere.

An exploit?

Yeah, I understand getting a free tech from someone else's graveyard, but digging up your own decaying citizens and suddenly realizing you knew how to smelt iron all along seems a bit funny.

I think the graveyard event may need a revisiting. Maybe create a graveyard building in the city that gives +1:) per spirit mana, but have the Sheaim worldspell destroy all graveyards and turn them into a pyre zombie stack (maybe with [armageddon counter/10] zombies)?

I really think that you shouldn't be allowed to loot a Grave inside your own Territory, but as a bonus they should grant a considerable (5?) health bonus to a city if found in the BFC of them.

Ressurect, Sanctify and Raise Skeleton should all still be allowed while in your territory though.

It is just VERY unfitting for people to complain about bodies, force you to start up a Graveyard, then run out and pick the pockets of the people they JUST BURIED. Especially if they find new technology in the process...

"Oh look guys... Timmy invented some dangling thingies attached to your Saddle to put your feet in. I guess we can make better mounted units now. Isn't it great that the stuck up bastige died so we could finally recieve the fruits of his labors?"

Top Bottom