• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Finishing 2nd in international projects

tranger66

Warlord
After seeing the rewards for the International Games (1st 100% tourism for 20 turns, 2nd +3 :c5happy: and +30 :c5influence: with all city states) I was thinking it might be worthwhile to start it and finish 2nd on purpose. If you were going for a diplomatic victory and had good culture to prevent losing that way the 2nd place prize sounds pretty powerful. This depends on how much tourism could be produced with the bonus though.

Are there situations where finishing second on the other international projects may be good?

The problem is you don't know how other civs will compete. You set your city(ies?) to work on a wonder/work for a project. Who is to say another civ won't beat you to 2nd if you become complacent? Who is to say you will even finish in the top 3? Doesn't seem like an issue imo. The only way you could possibly know, is you are lucky enough to have a spy in a city that is being used for one of the resolutions. But that doesn't guarantee you anything about other civs...

I believe 1st place for the ISS means getting the wonder in your capital, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what the actual wonder gives you.

Based on the prizes for the International Games, I'm starting to wonder:
Will Tourism have any effect in City-States?

Maybe the first prize will still be better for getting City-States to like you...

We don't know yet if it gives a running total of the production. For city-state quests you can see who the person in the lead is and what the leading amount is.

World Fair gives 1st +100% culture for 20 turns and 2nd 1 free policy. Now assuming that the free policy does not increase the policy cost then the second is better for policies.

The problem is you don't know how other civs will compete. You set your city(ies?) to work on a wonder/work for a project. Who is to say another civ won't beat you to 2nd if you become complacent? Who is to say you will even finish in the top 3? Doesn't seem like an issue imo. The only way you could possibly know, is you are lucky enough to have a spy in a city that is being used for one of the resolutions. But that doesn't guarantee you anything about other civs...

It would be risky but on a huge map 30 influence would save you 12000 :c5gold: assuming 500 gold for 30 influence which would likely be lower by that time in the game.

It could be like most of those City-States stuff now. They pop up, giving you a "contest" for 30 turns and you get rid of it not giving it another thought until you actually get some influence. There are far more important things in the game to be working on instead of paying attention to getting minor bonuses, I would think, esp. when they come later in the game.

It could be like most of those City-States stuff now. They pop up, giving you a "contest" for 30 turns and you get rid of it not giving it another thought until you actually get some influence. There are far more important things in the game to be working on instead of paying attention to getting minor bonuses, I would think, esp. when they come later in the game.

This is slightly different though, because it requires active participation. You have to set your cities to build towards the projects. The city-state quests is largely passive - while you can deliberately try to produce more science/faith/culture, it's really just a reward for whoever currently has the highest output.

In the case of the Congress projects, you have to actually decide whether to spend resources (which would otherwise go to other causes) contributing. Therefore you should be able to see if it is worth your while.

It's a fairly significant new feature, and since they've chosen to include these co-operative projects, I'd be surprised if they were as throwaway as you suggest.

This is slightly different though, because it requires active participation. You have to set your cities to build towards the projects. The city-state quests is largely passive - while you can deliberately try to produce more science/faith/culture, it's really just a reward for whoever currently has the highest output.

In the case of the Congress projects, you have to actually decide whether to spend resources (which would otherwise go to other causes) contributing. Therefore you should be able to see if it is worth your while.

It's a fairly significant new feature, and since they've chosen to include these co-operative projects, I'd be surprised if they were as throwaway as you suggest.

I understand but just because it is a new feature, it doesn't mean that it will be worthwhile, as in many examples through the Civ series. For example, corporations were hyped and they were mostly ignored. Some argue that Religion (a significant new feature, right?) can be safely ignored. A lot of things get hyped and look good on paper. It seems that some love to get their pre-release expectations ramped up instead of learning to play the current game better which will lead to being able to play the expansion better.

World Fair gives 1st +100% culture for 20 turns and 2nd 1 free policy. Now assuming that the free policy does not increase the policy cost then the second is better for policies.

This needs some calculation with real game data. I have a feeling what 20 turns 100% bonus will overcome the free social policy till the end of the game if you more or less invest in culture output.

After seeing the rewards for the International Games (1st 100% tourism for 20 turns, 2nd +3 :c5happy: and +30 :c5influence: with all city states) I was thinking it might be worthwhile to start it and finish 2nd on purpose. If you were going for a diplomatic victory and had good culture to prevent losing that way the 2nd place prize sounds pretty powerful. This depends on how much tourism could be produced with the bonus though.

Are there situations where finishing second on the other international projects may be good?

I had the same thought when read it. Seems to me that 2nd place is more interesting than 1st in some circumstances.

Actually, I'm fine with this. I know that in the case of the real-life Olympics, there have been cases where hosting the games has been an expensive, controversial boondoggle, while the real "winners" were the ones who were able to pour that money into their athletics programs and bring home a ton of medals. While I'm not as familiar with the history of the World's Fair or the ISS, I'd imagine there would be similar cases where "just" being a contributor provided advantages that were better than hosting the whole shebang (and footing the bill). Plus I think it's kind of cool that 2nd and 3rd aren't just "1st place, but less of it". Heck, this kind of thing is what emergent gameplay's all about, trying to game the diplomatic circles so that you're remembered as the star of the Games without having to actually host it could make for interesting stories.

This needs some calculation with real game data. I have a feeling what 20 turns 100% bonus will overcome the free social policy till the end of the game if you more or less invest in culture output.

your right if your invested in culture you get more from the +100% then the free policy.(with the obvious assumption)

It would be great if first place gets first choice at the three options, second place gets second choice, and third gets the remaining choice. Or perhaps there are 4 or 5 choices to choose from! That way the incentive is always to get first place if possible.

I guess it's too late to implement that, though. haha

It would be great if first place gets first choice at the three options, second place gets second choice, and third gets the remaining choice. Or perhaps there are 4 or 5 choices to choose from! That way the incentive is always to get first place if possible.

If they can add a new tab in the Culture Screen, then surely they can implement that between march and now.

The 3rd place rewards seem weak compared to 1st and 2nd. It looks like it will be really important to get at least 2nd. If I don't think I can do that I would probably vote against the proposal to prevent other civs from winning.

Top Bottom