Firaxis/2k is doing it again?

lschnarch

Emperor
Many people have expressed not going to buy DLC unless the expected patch proves to make the game better.

Let's have a look at the past:
For North America (seems to be the biggest market) the demo was released at the same time as the full version.
Many people have speculated that this was done not to harm the sales figures by giving people a chance to test first.

Now we are confronted with DLC again, which is expected to be available from tomorrow on.
The patch is not yet available, so no chance for the aforementioned users to check with the quality of the game before deciding about whether to purchase the DLC.

Seems to be the new market strategy: get the hype going by announcing the patch, and then make the timespan between both releases so short that many will just fall for the DLC as well.

I will think about buying DLC after i will download path and test if truly improve the game, otherwise wont buy DLC

There's no pre-order bonus for DLC. You can play a game and then decide. What makes you think there's a rush like there was with pre-orders and the demo.

Fortunately I am experiencing tough times financially and wont fall for it :crazyeye:

Anyhow I started a new game so hopefully it just drops tomorrow now so I can finish it.

I am looking forward to some changes tho and would be glad to start a new game if it drops like this afternoon so I still have some day off to play with.

And of course some good soul will likely make a barebones mod with the civs which I will probably be perfectly happy with same as babylon.

No worries a game as moddable as this is never completely broken

If you realy can't wait a few houres before buying the DLC... then I think you are in no position to complain.

It's only two civs, if you realy can't wait to try them... Maybe it mean that you actualy like this game even without the patch.

There's no pre-order bonus for DLC. You can play a game and then decide. What makes you think there's a rush like there was with pre-orders and the demo.

Because it is quite obvious on what 2K are speculating:
"Oh, FINALLY! The patch! GREAT! .... And there's even DLC... ok, I am downloading anyway.... "

The patch is not yet available, so no chance for the aforementioned users to check with the quality of the game before deciding about whether to purchase the DLC.

How so? I suspect the DLC will be available for much longer than one day.

If someone has reservations about the game, and still go ahead and buy DLC prepatch - frankly thats their choice, can hardly put that one on Fireaxis, its no secret a Patch is coming.

If they hate the game, and still buy DLC prepatch, it is arguable the nice young men in the little white coats should pay them a visit. Thats not down to Fireaxis.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill here, purchasing DLC the instant it appears is not mandatory. If an individual likes the DLC, great, buy it, if not dont. There is no "secret" that a Patch is coming, so its hardly devious marketing.

There's only so much hand holding anyone can do, in the end we all make a choice, if its wrong, its wrong - especially as the DLC price is hardly the stuff financial earthquakes are made of.

Regards
Zy

Because it is quite obvious on what 2K are speculating:
"Oh, FINALLY! The patch! GREAT! .... And there's even DLC... ok, I am downloading anyway.... "

But it's an apples and oranges comparison. There's nothing in this situation remotely comparable to the delayed demo.

Yeah, it seems about 100x more likely that they knew it needed patched before many people would get the DLC. NOT the other way around; of course, that doesn't make the company sound quite as evil.

But it's an apples and oranges comparison. There's nothing in this situation remotely comparable to the delayed demo.

Well, I don't think it is that much about apples and oranges.

It seems to be rather likely that the highest sales figures are met when the available product (the DLC in this case) becomes available.
Now, as has been discussed in other threads already, some of the changes in the patch are ... let's say, their value is still under discussion. But you may need some time to play to fully explore all these changes.

Which in turn means, as soon as there is at least a chance that the changes may not please the majority, it would be best to limit the time between patch and DLC to give the second a better chance to be purchased.

Personally, I for my part won't get the patch immediately, and for sure not the DLC which I am not going to buy at all.

All what I want to do is to raise people's awareness of the fact that I see a marketing manouvre in the timing and to ask them to make their thoughts about this.

The complaint about the demo is you would miss out on the pre-order bonus. That's a valid complaint. Plenty of people (including myself) were worried the game would not run on their computers. We missed out on the D2D pre-order so we could play the demo.

What you're criticizing them for is to take a commercial product and sell it at a commercially beneficial time. That's entirely different. There's nothing unfair about releasing two separate things at the same time. Would you rather they delayed the DLC for a week so you could test it out (wait, scratch that, I think I know your opinion of DLC. Would the average person want them to delay DLC for a week so you can test out the patch)?

I won't deny that the demo delay was a bit... convenient, but this really can't be compared. If someone buys the DLC before they know they want it then who are they to complain? It's not like there is an exclusive pre-order bonus for the DLC.

Keep it in your pants and try the patch for a week first. If you're too immature to do that then tough luck.

While we're at it, I recommend against buying lottery tickets or listening to campaign promises.

Don't buy the DLC until you have fully tested the patch. Why is that so hard?

We agree. Lets see if the patch comes out today. Even if it does, I won't have time to fully test it and see for myself how much it has improved the game, until the weekend.

Then, if happy that the patch has clearly made a better game, I'll buy the DLC.

I don't see the patch delay as a marketing ploy and it simply may not be 100% ready and note that theres translation into many languages needed as well.

.. neilkaz ..

While typing, I got an update that the patch has downloaded. Can we agree this thread is now moot?

.... Personally, I for my part won't get the patch immediately, and for sure not the DLC which I am not going to buy at all....

In which case its a non issue for you.

... and individuals certainly have more sense than to buy DLC before testing a known imminent patch...

End of thread methinks ...

Many people have expressed not going to buy DLC unless the expected patch proves to make the game better.

Let's have a look at the past:
For North America (seems to be the biggest market) the demo was released at the same time as the full version.
Many people have speculated that this was done not to harm the sales figures by giving people a chance to test first.

Now we are confronted with DLC again, which is expected to be available from tomorrow on.

Seems to be the new market strategy: get the hype going by announcing the patch, and then make the timespan between both releases so short that many will just fall for the DLC as well.

Well, yes, they ARE doing it again, but I think you're confused about what "IT" is. Take 2K clearly forced Firaxis to stick to a release date for marketing purposes even if they weren't ready and Firaxis has clearly been struggling to keep up.

So yes, they're doing "it" again. They're rushing to get things ready. Relax. It's not a conspiracy. It's just bad scheduling.

Top Bottom