Firaxis Devs Q&A - Send me your questions!

Can we get some elaboration on how cities work? From screenshots, it seems like they start with only a single extra tile of territory, instead of a radius of six. How long does it take for an outpost to become a city, and what does that entail? What differences are there between outposts and cities?

Love these:

Question:
How will you combat current popularity of Paradox's games with CBE, and did their games influence CBE in any way?

Will Miller mentioned a reading list of sci-fi canon in one of the interviews (i.e. the books used for inspiration for BE). From each of the developers, what were the most influential works towards the development of BE?

With there be voiced quotes for the technologies like in Civ IV and V? Who is the voice?

- Will the government options be changeable like in SMAC/civ4 or will they be permanent choices like civ5, or something radically different to both?

- Will there be XCOM references/easter eggs?

- Will there be nukes?

[compared to Civ5]
Q; Can we expect better and more immersive diplomacy?
Q; Can we expect an evolved and more advanced AI?

- In what way is CBE not just a civ5 mod?

- How restrained are you by using the same engine (as civ5)?

- Is using the same engine going to mean less bugs on release?

How will unit upgrades work?

Will we be able to create an anti-"cavalry" infantry unit from a menu driven interface before we produce them (i.e. a prototype). Could we later on upgrade that unit to have increased sight range by adding an addon we acquired through technology development?

Or will we have more of a promotion system where we can cutstomize a unit after it is built by assigning them promotions from a promotion tree?

Or will we have a little of both?

Will there be city states ?
If no, will they create something that replace them?
If yes, how? Will the city states be colonized cities of small civs from earth or they'll be alien groups in their start of building a civilization?

Keep the questions coming! :)

What's the point? It's not like you're actually providing any answers.

Moderator Action: This is not adding to the discussion. If you have a question, please ask. There is a process she must go through and the answers will not be instant.

This one I can answer. No. No you should not expect to see that. Not from Civilization: Beyond Earth at least. :p

Keep the questions coming! :)

Maybe if you had not deleted the first line, you would realize, in fact that there was indeed an answer to a question. So did you have a question for the developers, as this post pertains to? Or do you wish to just badger the messenger?

Moderator Action: Please report problem posts and allow the staff to work. Addressing another poster instead of the subject matter is trolling.

The thread title mentions Devs Q&A - and Kate is not a developer. So these are presumably going to be collated, passed to the devs, go through marketing machinery to decide what they can answer in how much detail, and then answers will be posted to those they've decided to answer.

Not an overnight process.

From the images we've seen so far it seems to use Civ V's 1upt system. Will there be any changes to this system, and if not, will significant work go into the combat AI?

- besides being a resource for Purity to float military units, what else does the float stone resource do for Harmony or Superiority? Are the resources that only one affinity can take advantage of?

- Bonus question: Will the Floatstone pilot an airship by a dude called Cid? (or Sid in this case?)

Is there a mechanism for my culture to hurt my rivals (ie ideological unhappiness in CivV:BNW)?

How does happiness (or similar growth limiting mechanic by a different name ie stability) work?

What type of population growth restrictions will CivBE have? City specific growth mechanisms (Health, Happiness in Civ IV) or empire specific growth mechanisms (Happiness in Civ V, Corruption in Civ III, Maintenance in Civ IV)?

Also I'd like to hear more on the way units interact with each other. It sounded like some units may affect the abilities of units around them. Can we get an example of that?

What kind of tile improvements will be in the game? Will the affinities have different options in this area?

Question: "What about multiplayer?"

I'm sure this is on everyone's minds, and we haven't gotten any solid details on the subject.

Couple more questions:

What kind of virtues exist in the game and what kind of effects do they have? (Are they SF-themed, too?)

What is the resource system going to look like?

Is the quest system tied into the victory conditions, and if so, how?

Re: diplomacy, how are reputation and AI attitudes implemented? Are there severe penalties for non-betrayal warmongering?

Is there a planet-wide council like the World Congress? If so, is there a way to defy them?

Is there a system to represent religion? If so, are they existing religions, new ones, or a mix of both?

Top Bottom