1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Firebug's Civilizations

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by Firebug, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

I've decided that while i'm not going to publish brand new mods, i will be able to put some spare time into updating, since that's 10x easier.
    My next one will be China. Just thinking of a new UA for it.

2. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Zenobia's leaderscreen doesn't display properly

Attached Files:

3. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

In case we do manage to get the whole "England with a Rock Band" plan going, we could have art variations - one for the Beatles earlier in their career and one as in Firebug's avatar.

No, this is not because I made a "Beatles playing in the Shea Stadium" icon. It's already in perfect size for gameplay!

Spoiler :
    beatlessheastadium.png

4. Firebug

Thanks for pointing it out. The screenshot also shows i forgot to write my usually bad written Diplomatic Responses. I'll get that done now.

5. Firebug

Once Tlingit is released, i'm quitting. Modding has destroyed me inside and out. The stress of everything in my life in the past week has led to me feeling worse then i thought i already was.

I'm hanging up my cloak. I can't keep it up. I found more joy in this a year ago then i do now. Now it just feels like a duty to give the players what they want. I'm not being payed for this, i could of been studying, i could of been trying to find a real job, but this had become my real job in a sense. Serving the people who would ask so much of us, and give us so very little in return.
    Call me selfish, i know i do, but it's hard to motivate myself to give people what they want, only to have them ask for more, or to criticise the smallest details.
    I also ask for things, i get lua code from the best people. And the feeling of a complete mod should be relief. But Palmyra left me with no feeling of joy. It wasn't MY mod. It was other people's under my name.

I'd like to thank all you folks for atleast being welcoming and helpful, clearly supporting my mods. But you supported them more then i did. No more updates. No more new releases. The Tlingit is my last Civ5 mod. I MAY return for Civ6.

6. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

While I understand and sympathise, I think you're being too hard on yourself, regardless of your views on modding. I sincerely hope it's not the impact of possible real life drama that is making you feel that way, so much that you'd prefer to hide it by decrying modding instead. Hope all is well outside of this here issue. Hold yourself together, man.

You owe nothing to anyone. Except maybe for basic bugfixing right after a mod's release. The way I see it, mods are inherently for yourself, tailored to how you want them to be, not to the whims and wishes of the users (especially the one-click-subscribe-culture of Steam). But you also should expect nothing from everyone, it's the internet ffs. Count your blessings instead.

What I would have to say then? I'm in the exact same spot feeling like a loser.

7. The Specialize

The Specialize Chieftain

This is my exact opinion on the matter. Modding for me at least is done almost totally for myself. Releasing stuff for everyone to use is just the added benifit. If you aren't working on something *YOU* enjoy or want why use your time doing it? Even more so when money isn't involved. You can't please everyone with everything so you might as well try to enjoy what you're doing.

Firebug, it'll be sad to see you go however thanks for all you've done with the civilizations you have released.

8. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Habit, accomplishment, exposure, experience, pressure - not just popular, but also peer. There are plenty of reasons to mod, and I think for some of the modders that have been around a long time - myself, at least - there is very little pleasure left in the activity. It is emotionally trying, and as much as Firebug might acknowledge that he is not obliged to anyone but himself, that is too often far from how we might feel - and this demarcation only grows wider as we produce more works.

Well, Firebug is doing the responsible thing that I cannot, but I hope that he might stay on as a member to this community. There are plenty of observer states in the modding UN :p

9. The Specialize

The Specialize Chieftain

Yeah that's why I said the "Enjoy or Want" with the Want being really general term. My poor use of words always makes me seem really blunt.

I cannot fathom what it's like to have multiple projects going at once. When hearing how you, CL or anyone is working on such a large scale of things at once boggles my mind on how you can keep sane with all that on your plate. Even more so for people like you who also release things outside of just Civilizations.

10. lordrj15

lordrj15 Manx Modder

If you feel that leaving modding is the best course of action for the sake of your self esteem and mental health, then do that, though it will be sad to see you go.

And Jan is right, you are too hard on yourself, you need to focus on the positives, and if you can acknowledge your weakness', then that is also good, but don't let yourself fall into a spiral of "I'm useless, I can't do anything, I'm such a loser" because I know how nasty that feels.

It's not a constructive or useful mindset, you just have to push on through, stay resilient and think more positively.

Again, it is sad to see you go, you've produced some excellent work here, and that is a fact.

11. Firebug

Thanks for all the kind words and support. I will be staying. as an "observer state" as you put it.

12. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Be well man. Remember us when you're feeling better.

13. Firebug

Screw it, i'm better then this. I've had a history of those stupid... episodes? ...and i'm not letting another one beat me. I say and do dumb things when i'm tired and stressed and modding is something i enjoy. I'm gonna finish Tlingit, i'm gonna keep going helping my friends with their modding. But i won't make anymore of my own (most likely)

14. DJSHenninger

DJSHenninger Megas Basileus

I was hoping you'd say (something like) this! :hatsoff:

15. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Welcome back then!

16. Imax The Best

Imax The Best Chieftain

Athens are OP. I can go up to 20 cities whith Venice, so with three kinds of Great Persons... :ar15:

On the other side AI and most of the players don't know how to do it, and it isn't even as half OP as Korea or Sukritact's Khmer.

17. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

Yup, that's quality constructive criticism...

18. DarthStarkiller

DarthStarkiller Chieftain

Steam is leaking again.

19. Keniisu

Keniisu YouTuber | Modder

Not trying to be harsh...

"How I See It?" Translation:
    "Constructive Criticism" Translation:

20. Firebug

Dear friends and fans.

I will not be updating Athens