First Civ 4 Screenshots!

Damnit damnit damnit. DAMNIT!!!! Ah well. I figured as much, but I thought someone on some less, err, law-abiding site may have put them up. But alas...

But I like the idea of having squares again. It'll take me back to playing Civ 1 on my friend's old 286 - it was such a crap computer, that 3 times out of 4 when you turned it on, the fuse in the monitor would blow. We'd go to the electronics store, spend $5 (usually all we had) on a small handful of fuses, and try our luck... once we got the monitor going, we wouldn't turn it off till the game was well and truly over.

Ok, I know it is probably an old screenshot but for me it is new and has some info on it, so I attach it...

Attachments

• CivIV-Cologne_big.jpg
    CivIV-Cologne_big.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 5,759
For example: see the map in the bottom-right corner - is it showing only the world the player knows in a way that starting location is centered? :)
And you do not know where are you on the total map? :)

Well Spotted, V. Soma, I had never noticed that when I looked at it before.
It does gel very well with things that Soren was saying last year-how he liked the idea of a map which 'expanded' as you explored more of the terrain. I think it will definitely help sustain the mystery of each game longer, if it proves true :)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

That would be a nice touch. Heaven knows that if I'm generally "south" on the map, I'll push hard north, with only a slight push into the south. In a lot of ways, it's kind of like cheating, except that it's perfectly legal and obvious that's what I should do.

I wonder how those four unit heads work... It could just be a graphical finesse, but it could possibly also have more meaning. So that for example if you build 1 horseman in a city, that's fine, and you control it just as you do in civ3. But if you build 1 or 2 more, those will automatically join together with the first to create a sort of horseman army automatically (showing up as 2 or 3 horsemen in one "lump" on the screen).

This could be useful in some situations. For example, it could help on the spearman / tank thing. Before, having 4 spearmen in a city would make it invulnerable to being captured by one single tank in one turn. Say that the AI has 4 spearmen in a city, then they will constitute 1 "unit" together, and when your lone tank attacks, it can kill off all four spearman (counting them as 1 "unit") in 1 attack.

Also, some have complained about the infinite stack ability in civ III being unfair. (lining up 200 artillery + 100 cavalry + 100 riflemen in ONE square isn't really feasible in the real world). If my unit head theory is true, then they could perhaps put a restriction on, say, 20 such groups of units in the same square.

I dunno, just a thought.

Personally, I think the graphics (even at this very early stage) look fairly impressive -- granted, it's no Doom III, but it's looking good. But, in the end, gameplay is the only thing that will make this game sink or swim. Here's to hoping.

-V

Those are the old graphics (look at the date of this thread). You should check out some of the newer ones in the gallery. They are really nice.

Daniel Khan said:
Or maybe the map is just a very small one. ;)

nah, it was stated in one of the articles that the minimap is zoomed to the land that you've explored so that you don't know where you are in the big picture.

edit: damn, i worded that horribly.

Top Bottom