First fort image

PrinzMyshkin

Warlord
What do you think of this pic, as "first fort" achievement? It is the original "Fort Vancouver" . Shown below in details:

My suggestion is another painting of it on canvas.

I also attach the original one, for comparisson.

Also scaled and converted to right-size .dds, in case you wish to use them.

I think it's nicer, but that's not my mod. ;)

Attachments

• firstfort2.jpg
    firstfort2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 94
  • firstfort.zip
    361.2 KB · Views: 57
  • firstfort.jpg
    firstfort.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 94
I like it, both as an idea and as an image, and it's a good choice relative to the existing fort graphic. Some of the existing "achievements" are nothing to brag about, a fort requires some effort. Obviously "first fortress" extends the idea, and my first thought is Louisbourg.

Yeah some achievements are as common as muck. :p

But look at these puppies...

Candidate for first cannon:

Candidate for first general:

Candidate for first medic:

Candidate for first SoL:

That's to keep you and Louisbourg happy Ed. ;)

I agree, some of the achievements are just meh. For example, first soldier? Everyone starts the game with a soldier!

Dale, I would like to update the achievement advisor.

1. Could you please give me a hint how to set the first medic?

Want something like, but don't know how to set it.

"
<AchieveInfo>
<PromotionInfo>
<Type>PROMOTION_SURGEON1</Type>
<iNumber>1</iNumber>
</PromotionInfo>
</AchieveInfo>
"

2. Could you please give me a hunt about how to set the first victory against King?

Something like?
<iNumCombatsWonNeededAgainstKing>X</iNumCombatsWonNeededAgainstKing>

Where do I set the iNumCombatsWonNeededAgainstKing variable?

I have included the first SoL, the first general and the first cannon. Also added some nice pics! ;)

May also include first frigate.

Thanks! :)

You need some SDK changes too. :)

To my understanding I need to do the following:

1. Set .dds images at: \AgeOfDiscoveryII_1.08\Assets\Art\Achievements
2. Set achievement conditions at: \AgeOfDiscoveryII_1.08\Assets\XML\Events\CIV4AchieveInfos.xml
3. Set new variable (eg. iNumCombatsWonNeededAgainstKing) at: \AgeOfDiscoveryII_1.08\Assets\XML\Events\CIV4AchieveInfosSchema.xml
4. Set achievement text key at: \Mods\AgeOfDiscoveryII_1.08\Assets\XML\Text\CIV4GameText_Achievements.xml

To my understanding I don't need to change anything at:
D:\Games\Colonization II\Mods\AgeOfDiscoveryII_1.08\Assets\Python\Screens\CvAchieveAdvisor.py

Anything else? What is SDK? *blushes*

Any core DLL changes?

SDK == core DLL. :)

Yes, there are some changes needed. If you describe exactly what you need, and what you want the tags to check for (to return true) I'll write it up for you.

Yuppyyy! OK give me a couple days, I will prepare everything, and post here exactly what I want.

First medic, first general, first SoL, first Frigate, first cannon, first win against the King, and their multiples...

If anyone else has any cool idea, or think I have any stupid idea, post here and I will add, or remove mine. :D

I agree, some of the achievements are just meh. For example, first soldier? Everyone starts the game with a soldier!
My favorite was "discovering" the Atlantic Ocean. Now at last that has some meaning, at least for China...and these mysterious civilized aboriginies. :D

For those complaining of the "simple meh" achievements, there is a reason for them.

It allows for a natural progression of achievements. You'll notice a lot of them start at a base level, say your first soldier, then progress to a small army, of say 25 soldiers, then onto a formidible army, about 50 soldiers, etc etc. It gives the player a connection, and shows that achievements ARE attainable. Plus it's a positive re-inforcement thing. If the player gets an early achievement they're like "Cool! I just scored an achievement!" and is pulled into playing more.

It's a design tactic I picked up from Soren: balancing pull tactics against push tactics. As in you pull (immerse) the player into the game rather than pull (demand) the player. Most of the concepts in Col are push, you are pushed into producing goods and selling, pushed into making an army, etc etc. This is a nice pull. :)

For those complaining of the "simple meh" achievements, there is a reason for them.

It allows for a natural progression of achievements. You'll notice a lot of them start at a base level, say your first soldier, then progress to a small army, of say 25 soldiers, then onto a formidible army, about 50 soldiers, etc etc. It gives the player a connection, and shows that achievements ARE attainable. Plus it's a positive re-inforcement thing. If the player gets an early achievement they're like "Cool! I just scored an achievement!" and is pulled into playing more.

It's a design tactic I picked up from Soren: balancing pull tactics against push tactics. As in you pull (immerse) the player into the game rather than pull (demand) the player. Most of the concepts in Col are push, you are pushed into producing goods and selling, pushed into making an army, etc etc. This is a nice pull. :)

Tru, but to give a player an achievement for not actually doing or achieving anything surely cheapens the concept of achievements altogether? If it was the first soldier you produced or purchased yourself, then that would make better sense. It's still relatively easy, but not a complete gimme. Also the achievement for discovering the same sea you start in should be removed, but the one for discovering the new world left in.

All pull and no push? :D

You're a dirty man, I love it! :D

Top Bottom