First impressions on RFC RAND

My first impression, after a year away from videogames, let alone Civ4, let alone RFC:

Damn, this s***'s hard. :crazyeye:

But still hella fun. Fantastic job Rhye :D

You really do have to adopt different strategies in RAND than the typical chop-whip-chop tactics used in RAF. There just aren't enough trees in the games I've been in and more importantly, not enough food resources so cities do not grow nearly as quickly. I never realized how spoiled I was with all those great spawn sites in RAFs until you get placed in some jungle or desert with little or no food resources.

Even judicious whipping creates problems as cities grow sooo slowly, at least compared to what we're used to.

On about 30th-40th try as Babilonia, I got a start with India absent. So I founded Buddism and Judaism and made second and third UHVs easily. Though, I failed with first one the turn when Persia spawn, do they start with Code of Laws now? (I got Monachy from Colossus.) Well, I just wanted my Golden Age, so it was ok.
Now, I am at very large territory, about 1/4 of world map (down-right quadrant), with Egypt to west and Arabia to east, and just buit my fourth city. Egypt is Induist and Arabia founded both Christianity and Islam when spawn. Both stay in deserts, and I spread mostly to hills-plains landsape, so there are no conflicts and I have space for 3-4 good (well, decent) cities more.
The continent has another half in northern hemisphere, but it is unavailable to me because of jungles (I just built my first scout). Still, I know all the rest are there, to north from Egypt, because of switching to Ethiopian for a turn.

Tell me how to change map size? I can't see a button for this, and it's always large.

As somebody has already mentioned before, in High Earth Likeness (on a huge map), Russia spawns too close to China, so that there is no space for Mongolians between them.
In fact, in my first (and so far, only) game, Russia spawned right next to China, but there was a big gap to the west between Russia and Germany. This kind of makes Russia into an Asian power, rather than a European one, so the UHV condition can only be met by colonizing to the west, which is problematic because "Europe" is jam-packed with civs.

Also because there was no space left on Asian mainland for Mongolia, it spawned on an island (or maybe it was a big long peninsula) next to Japan!

So I would really prefer for Russia to be moved further west, at least for High likeness.

Leader traits has been removed in Rhye's in favor of Unique powers that each civ has, the Chinese UP is the Power of the Myraid where Melee units can be built faster than normal.

Things got boring, so I decided to start a world war:

Ottomans(me)
Spain
Portugal
Mali
Rome*
Ethiopia*

vs

India
Netherlands
Inca
Russia

* = joined because of an Apostolic Palace resolution

I razed two cities, Calcutta and Varanasi, and continued my conquest. Then, game decided to crash(or at least Vista closed BTS and informed me about an error). D'oh. Hopefully I don't lose many turns thanks to autosave.

I didn't have an autosave. Grr.

Well, anyway, I saved before starting the war, so I loaded that save and declared war again. Now I razed Calcutta and captured Varanasi, and also prevented my Greek cities from rebelling by building theatres and placing troops in them. Then, I sent my stack of doom(just a couple of cavalries, riflemen and cannons, India still has longbowmen and musketmen) to destroy Dilli, the holy city of Hinduism and Buddhism. I razed it. Hehehee. India won't still capitulate though, they say "We're afraid of your enemies!" :D I made peace with Netherlands and Inca, not sure about Russia. So now it's basically India vs everyone. :D

I really messed my game up.

chose random civilsaton, got incas. so, ok, I go for my target. saw, wow, lots of barbs switch to me, but that also ruined my income rate, which of course is crucial for the uhv. then I got the conqueror's event, but managed to repulse them, with those "free" troops.

so, I continued to expand nicely, endured the colonial plague wave, but I wouldnt have enough income for the 3000 gold. thus, I decided that feudalism is enough to defend myself against angry europeans and dropped science rate to 0. got lucky that even by the mid 17 hundreds only spain had founded a city on my southern american continent. 1 down, two more to go. well, to make it short, I messed up the gold condition badly, had only half the amount, but a decent rate at least of ~70 gpt. continued for a few turns just for the sake of it, bought a few techs, then came america.

geez, why not. the uhv is gone anyways why not try my luck in north amercia (whose coast I had sailed and that apparently was not colonised). I switch, what happens: I start directly south of my former incas as america two places from where I had previousl planned a city. I was so shocked I quit without saving, when in retrospection it would have been a great start. lots of good land, a civ whose strongest unit was a longbowman, who was isolated without any friends and a bunch of europeans apparently to busy to bother with the new world. bah, should have just annihilated my former self and be done with it.

ps. is it normal in rfc that the english keep demanding large sums of money from me every single turn I see them, even if I said no for a dozen times? it might be nice to have an option "no, and dont ask me again you stupid ******".

ps, great job rhye, looking forward to more time for playing.

Now, I am at very large territory, about 1/4 of world map (down-right quadrant), with Egypt to west and Arabia to east, and just buit my fourth city. Egypt is Induist and Arabia founded both Christianity and Islam when spawn. Both stay in deserts, and I spread mostly to hills-plains landsape, so there are no conflicts and I have space for 3-4 good (well, decent) cities more.
large.
Well, them both announced war with me eventually. Egypt did nothing, as usual, and we write peace 10 turns later. But Arabia actually sent three camel archers and a swordsman to my Babilы. Luckily, a spearman, a babilonian archer and two warriors was enough to stop them.
It seems AI is really more agressive in RAND.

The game is very well done, and I'm close to winning my first victory as Portugal. The diplomacy is a little strange though:
1.) Germany and France act like Japan. I am pleased with Germany and cautious with France, I share the same religion as both of them, yet they refused to open their borders with them (very annoying when I needed to get 12 open borders by 1650). In fact, they didn't even have, "We care about our brothers and sisters of faith" in the diplomacy screen.
2.) China is a religious psycho. I had -12 for "heathen religion", right when I came in contact with China. Spain on the other hand, only had -2 for "heathen religion". Strange.
3.) I'm pretty sure this is a bug, but every single turn England asks to convert to Christianity. I say no every turn, but I don't get any negative diplomacy points.
Has any one else encountered unusual diplomacy?

I didn't have an autosave. Grr.

Well, anyway, I saved before starting the war, so I loaded that save and declared war again. Now I razed Calcutta and captured Varanasi, and also prevented my Greek cities from rebelling by building theatres and placing troops in them. Then, I sent my stack of doom(just a couple of cavalries, riflemen and cannons, India still has longbowmen and musketmen) to destroy Dilli, the holy city of Hinduism and Buddhism. I razed it. Hehehee. India won't still capitulate though, they say "We're afraid of your enemies!" :D I made peace with Netherlands and Inca, not sure about Russia. So now it's basically India vs everyone. :D

Razed also Mumbai, the holy city of Taoism, and India capitulated. After that, an era of peace.

Then, things started rolling.

First, I decided to take control of my auto-exploring caravel, and send it to see what's happening in the New World. Found out that America is in war with Spain, Portugal and a couple of other nations. Well, I set my caravel sail further. Few turns later America asked to be my vassal. Well, I accepted.

Then I realized what I had done

World War II.

Well, I continued, made peace with Mali(I had a defensive pact but they declared :huh:), sent couple of galleons to destroy India, and made a defensive pact with Japan to give me more allies. Next turn, Netherlands declared war on me. Netherlands was allied with Rome and Egypt(luckily Egypt is a piece of crap in my game). The result was this:

Now this is EPIC.

Most likely I'll be safe, haven't seen any Dutch or Roman stack of deaths walking around. I just need to re-capitulate India, maybe send a couple of cavalries and infantries to Rome, and wait until I can make peace treaties.

I have a wacky england talking to me and making the same request every turn. Thankfully when I say no it doesn't seem to affect our relationship. But yeah, I have that bug as well.

:D That is amazing Hitti-Litti.

I’ve finally managed to play a few hours at RFC random. Here are my first impressions:

Two first quick attempts were quite bad : starting as Carthage just next to Egyptian, where very few resources, and no city flipping to me (although Egyptian one was very close) ; then starting as Babylonian in a middle of desert, with two ore resources, but… no food at all except one food plain.
Third attempt as Greece: interesting location this time. I’m playing for the UHV first and cultural victory if I fail it (I think in RFC rand we should NOT think like “I must win the UHV”, but think as “I may try the UHV if conditions are good; else I’ll try xxx victory). By chance I’ve found a marble resource quite close, so Sparte was found next to it. With the marbles and an engineer, I manage to build all the required wonder in time (I think without marble it’s impossible, UHV has to be forgotten).
At the moment I do not have any neighbour very close to me. I’m about to research music now, so I should be able to win by UHV.

Very interesting game. Not knowing by advance where all resources and rivals are changes completely the feeling… A good compromise between quite historical but determinist RFC and unhistorical/unrealist standard game. Of course, there are many things which have to be improved: it comes to mind bug in civ request (India keeps asking me to stop relations with Egypt), the few food resources in starting locations, the IA which seems to me quite strange sometimes… although it’s very playable and interesting as it is, it should be regarded as a ejoyable beta-test version. Anyway, I think I’ll past many and many hours with this mod. Thanks Rhye again!

I semi-accidentally got a Domination win as Portugal last night.

Between auto-founding Islam on spawn, wiping out Spain in an early brutal slugfest (my Great General was actually El Cid!!!), and a beautiful location for Lisboa (two fish, a pigs, two wheat, and a copper!), the game went til 1942 and was awesome. I don't care if I only got Warren G. Harding, it was still glorious.

I had actually never achieved a Domination win in Civ ever, so this was quite the experience, especially sine I had a +40 or more economy for most of the game :crazyeye:

Weird things that happened (other than spending most of the game as the Islamic Kingdom of Portugal):
1. There weren't 12 civs in the game in 1650 for me to get the UHV. Of the 10 that were still around (I was playing a standard-sized map), I had Open Borders with 7. Apparently that wasn't enough :(
2. In the 1920s, I had defensive pacts with both Germany (the Greater German Reich) and England (the British Empire), and Turkey was a vassal of Germany. Then there was this Congress. I refused to give up a city to Germany, and England refused to give up a city to me, and Turkey refused to give up a city to England. All four of us wind up at war with each other and everyone else and their vassals, except Turkey... which was at war with everyone. Including Germany. I had the curious experience of watching Germany devour alive its very own vassal. Very strange indeed, but still amusing. Germany's army vastly outnumbered mine, but mine out-teched his (Infantry vs. Rifles and Cavalry), and we both just squatted on a few (formerly) Turkish cities until we made peace and liberated them all to Rome :lol:

ps. is it normal in rfc that the english keep demanding large sums of money from me every single turn I see them, even if I said no for a dozen times? it might be nice to have an option "no, and dont ask me again you stupid ******".

I vassalized India in my Portugal game, along with the Incas, Ethopia and Egypt, but that's besides the point, but India and only India kept asking me to gift them a technology every single turn. I eventually just gave them all of my techs just to get them to shut up.

I don't know if it's normal, but you're not alone :)

I was thinking about the same thing here...domination is going to be much easier on standard or large maps than the original huge earth map. I'm going to try a German large map first.

I also tried with the Persians but it's impossible--first because you have no close neighbors to conquer with wonders, and second their land's crappy anyway, and third, India is usually so small that you have a big risk of razing Delhi at size 1, so it's tough to get 2 shrines in time.

I was thinking about the same thing here...domination is going to be much easier on standard or large maps than the original huge earth map. I'm going to try a German large map first.

I also tried with the Persians but it's impossible--first because you have no close neighbors to conquer with wonders, and second their land's crappy anyway, and third, India is usually so small that you have a big risk of razing Delhi at size 1, so it's tough to get 2 shrines in time.

I tried a Persia game and was lucky enough to spawn pratically right on top of China, so I wiped them out and got the Confucian/Taoist holy city in one go. Unfortunately I only got one Great Prophet in time to build a shrine, but it didn't matter since I was way off the land-area UHV goal, and the Arabs spawned right next door and decided to invade just after the Russians spawned and flipped all of my Chinese cities to them. :lol:

Anyway, good luck with Germany!

but India and only India kept asking me to gift them a technology every single turn. I eventually just gave them all of my techs just to get them to shut up.
Did it help? Persia keep asking me for different things each turn. I wonder, if I'd give them all my technologies, all my money, drop connections and announced war to all their enemies, would they fail to find a reason to keep talking?

Did it help? Persia keep asking me for different things each turn. I wonder, if I'd give them all my technologies, all my money, drop connections and announced war to all their enemies, would they fail to find a reason to keep talking?

It worked until I got a new technology. They only seemed interested in the techs.

Then again, I played an American game (which lasted all of 15min because Spain won their UHV!!!) in which the Inca wanted me to go to war with someone every single turn, so maybe it's just different in different games?

Top Bottom