First Look: Russia (unofficial Let's Play)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are starting bias. Brazil always starts near Rainforests, Russia always starts near Tundra.
Yeah, but I always turned it off. It's a little bit boring to always start at the edge of the map or in the middle of unworkable jungle. And now with Russia and Brazil you'll pretty much have to.

Have they not posted the official Russia reveal because they haven't finessed Russia's bonuses enough, or is it because Peter looks like a hideous mutant? Firaxis/2K, what's going on over there?!

Have they not posted the official Russia reveal because they haven't finessed Russia's bonuses enough, or is it because Peter looks like a hideous mutant? Firaxis/2K, what's going on over there?!
2k_China shared that the new reveal will be this Wednesday. So whatever the reason, the hiding is almost over.

you know, there is a rather simple way to turn this lame 'science and culture from trade routes' ability into a really good one, and that is to give Russia bonus great people points from trade. First, of all aspect of the game, the gp one seems like the most fitting to Russia from the historical perspective. Further, it also fits into the leader ability or at least the same ballpark: there were some scientists from Europe working in Russia in the 18-19th centuries. I suppose it is an easy and also much needed tweak.

Russia looks good to me, but I will be waiting for official news. There could be changes in the last minute.

you know, there is a rather simple way to turn this lame 'science and culture from trade routes' ability into a really good one, and that is to give Russia bonus great people points from trade. First, of all aspect of the game, the gp one seems like the most fitting to Russia from the historical perspective. Further, it also fits into the leader ability or at least the same ballpark: there were some scientists from Europe working in Russia in the 18-19th centuries. I suppose it is an easy and also much needed tweak.
I think this idea makes some sense. Certainly there was a long history of Westerners being brought to Russia to teach and perform technical work, even before Peter's time. But I think it would be a problem to figure out what GP you could get from a city, since it would probably be based on districts, and that gets complicated with more districts being built as the game progresses. Instead, what could work is that bonus being applied to trade routes with City States, since all CS are specialized already its easy to determine what GP you would get. This has some justification I think, as they patronized many small states(and Catherine came from Anhalt-Zerbst!).
More broadly, we should all calm down until the official First Look at Russia, since we can't be sure everything is legit, or if it is, then we can't be sure the bonuses haven't been changed since then.

Free GP points with every trade route seem incredibly OP.
I don't see Peter's ULA as it appears to be now very weak. In fact, I proposed it a few weeks ago for Kongo's ULA. I'm glad Firaxis found this kind of playing appealing as well. We'll have to wait and play to see if the numbers are balanced as it is. 1 science / 1 culture per tech you don't have is way too strong. 3 might be a good value, if it's too weak they can reduce it to 2. But I have some faith in Firaxis here. The ability is not a total replacement for campus / theatre district as it seems. With 1 per 1 techs / civics it might be a complete replacement and you might just ban campus and theatre district for Russia. With 2 or 3 techs / civics it is a nice way of playing different imo, even when not beelining. It's weaker on lower difficulties, that's for sure. But this applies to other UAs/ULAs as well.

I could see GP points being added to the UI to make it more interesting
-1 tile when you use a Great Person in this city
-1 extra GP point for every district adjacent to the Lavra

But I expect with the reveal on Wednesday
-Peter's ability will be stronger (1 science/culture per tech/civic or at least 1 per 2)
-The Cossack will be stronger (hopefully find some abilities we don't know about)

The Lavra will have something more interesting to it.

By the way, the same youtuber said in one of his videos that he has found in the game, that there'll be 20 civs, with Persia among them.
Once again, I'm sure it isn't a joke, but I find it strange. Maybe it'll be an early DLC?

By the way, the same youtuber said in one of his videos that he has found in the game, that there'll be 20 civs, with Persia among them.
Once again, I'm sure it isn't a joke, but I find it strange. Maybe it'll be an early DLC?
Did it say who the leader of Persia is? Is there any way Gorgo could be a leader of the Persian civ!?

Are you sure Persia is one of them? Which video/streamer? I think I saw one where the Donald steamer or Chris odd said 20 leaders. I can see that with Gorgo but Persia? Does that mean it's actually Persia instead of Poland as dlc?

If it’s true we can pretty much expect an early dlc with Persia + Greek leader Gorgo + Peloponnesian war or more likely Greco-Persian wars scenario.

Are you sure Persia is one of them? Which video/streamer? I think I saw one where the Donald steamer or Chris odd said 20 leaders. I can see that with Gorgo but Persia? Does that mean it's actually Persia instead of Poland as dlc?

There will be more than one dlc, and Firaxis is more likely to answer to the fans requests first, so Persia, Ottoman, and Mongolia, before adding Poland, which is also a fan favourite but less than those 3.

If it’s true we can pretty much expect an early dlc with Persia + Greek leader Gorgo + Peloponnesian war or more likely Greco-Persian wars scenario.
Except Gorgo almost certainly isn't DLC.

So likely a DLC with Persia would include an earlier leader for India, or Alexander for Greece.

He said he found Persia? Now I'm beginning to suspect something's amiss.

Not that he's outright lying - he could have found traces of plans for a Persian civ, or perhaps a Persian leader. But we know for a fact that the accidental leader list revealed in the Firaxis stream didn't show any Persian leaders, nor is Persia included on that billboard of leaders for civs. Gorgo gets a pass for not being revealed with Greece as I figure they'll need somebody to pad out the time between the next First Look (almost certainly Russia) and the release, which is over two weeks from now. But Persia literally has no trace of existence - either they've been scrapped, or there's shenanigans going on from the uploader's end.

Assuming he did find something related to Persia, it does put the situation with the stats he found for Russia in a whole new light. I'm guessing he found traces of Persia in the demo build he got, the same build that contains the Russia stats. If so, then considering Persia seems to have been not included from as far back as Beachgate, then that could mean Russia has undergone radical changes since then. Hopefully that's the case.

Last edited:
Mhrm, there was a lot of disappointment around here especially about not having Persia, wasnt it? Maybe they put in some extra hours for one more release civ as planed?

The LUA looks a bit underwhelming, actually.

At first I was too... but look at any people playing right now and they are VERY often spending to buy tiles. This is like probably on average a hundred or two gold per city you found that you don't need to spend on tiles. That goes a long way to buying otherstuff that will let you snowball in otherways. On top of just being able to turn tundra tiles into very resourceful ones. The Shoshone extra land bonus was often understated... This feels like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom