1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Look: Sumeria

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hutchy27, Sep 26, 2016.

1. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Chieftain

Early science civs often are the strongest kind of civilizations (OP babylon civ 5). So whatever the other traits i will try to make this civ work.

2. BornInTheLoo

BornInTheLoo Chieftain

Can I be the first to say that Gilgamesh looks epic?

3. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

gah I got use to the latter in the week updates

4. shyPiano

shyPiano Chieftain

Yay! My vote was finally correct! :D

Here's Gilgamesh, in all his muscly glory:

Seriously, this guy is a mountain of a man! :eek: Intimidating!
    More Gilgamesh showing off his biceps!

As for Sumeria's icon, they didn't show it, but Sumeria has the same colors as Civ 5's Wonders of the Ancient World scenario's Sumeria:

So maybe the icon will be the same?

As for the uniques - I LOVE the UA, and I LOVE the Ziggurat (not so much in design though).
    But... Gilgamesh has no LUA that would help him? I mean, I'm guessing Joint Wars being unlocked at Foreign Trade could be considered a bonus to Gilgamesh, but... that's it?
    I'm so confused... :confused:

I'm not sure I'll be playing as Gilgamesh that often, since the lack of a LUA will mess me up. But I want Gilgamesh in all of my games! :love:

5. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

Is "Joint War" available to Gilgamesh only? Having some form of alliance in Ancient era (and bonus which encourages others to join you) could be very strong!

6. esoba

esoba Chieftain

Hahaha. I couldn't have said it better myself but you are spot on.

7. h0nk0815

h0nk0815 Chieftain

I also don't get it. Perhaps there's another unmentioned ability like free units when starting a joint war?

8. Seek

Seek Chieftain Supporter

I wonder if the UA was just worded poorly in the video and Joint Wars give Sumeria the pillage and xp bonuses as well..

Joint Wars were seen in some of the first gameplay videos as a diplomatic option.

9. Ivan Hunger

Ivan Hunger Chieftain

Guys, the video says they share pillage rewards and experience, not that they give pillage rewards and experience. I assume the sharing goes both ways.

10. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

Yes, I just don't know at which point it's unlocked for other civs.

11. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Chieftain

The ziggaraut is definitely a super early science/culture bonus at least.

I love the abilities and I love the art but I agree the Joint War ability seems quite lame and really only useful in multiplayer (which I never play). It doesn't give the Sumerian player any bonuses, and I doubt the AI has been programmed to want to ally with Sumeria more because of it.

12. esoba

esoba Chieftain

First meeting between Sumeria and Egypt

Cleopatra: Hail Gilgamesh, it is nice to meet you.

Gilgamesh: Nice too meet you. I see that history didn't lie when they told of your beauty. History has also said that I'm 2/3 god and 1/3 man, so I'll let you figure out which parts are which *winks*

13. GermanSettler

GermanSettler Chieftain

I am a "slow starter" when I play Civ and usually try to avoid hostilities early on... so not really my Civ but still interesting :)

14. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Chieftain

LOVE Gilgamesh's model and background. Clearing the barb encampments for goody hut bonuses and the Ziggurat are pretty cool. The UU and joint war bonus don't impress me too much. Maybe it will feel better than it sounds though

15. Stringer1313

Stringer1313 Chieftain

Oh ok - if that's the case, then I can see how Joint War isn't too awful (but still somewhat lame)

16. hewkii9

hewkii9 Chieftain

Seems like one could play an early-game world policeman, by coordinating an ally to fight your wars for you, leaving a couple supervisory units nearby to reap experience and pillage yields, while taking the bulk of your forces to clear the world's barbarian camps.

17. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Chieftain

This civ is very odd indeed. I don't think I like it.

First there's the focus on barbarian camps. I read a post on this forum recently that argued those kinds of UAs are not very good, and I agree. Barbarians are simply not a reliable 'resource.' You might not find any camps at all in certain games, though I guess the donkey cart increases your chances quite a bit.

The building is good. Seems like they gave a strong building like this to an otherwise very mehh civ to balance it a bit.

The donkey cart is fine as well.

But what is this joint war thing about? I guess it sort of promotes you as an ally to other players in the game, but you don't benefit from the shared exp yourself that much. Does it even activate when the ally gains exp, transferring it to your own troops? Such an odd design, it sounds kinda useless...

18. glaivemaster

glaivemaster Chieftain

The sharing bonuses of Sumeria are giving me flashbacks to Sweden's UA in Civ 5. What's the bet that the AI will once again be militaristic and hostile, thus making a joint war with it actually impossible?

And, as others mention, the unique kind of relies on your allies being competent enough to pillage and fight which seems like a bad thing to rely on. Just yuck on that ability.

19. Magil

Magil Monarch

I think you mixed up the UA and the Leader bonus. Gilgamesh is the one that depends on Joint Wars, and Sumeria is associated with the Epic Quest ability.

20. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Chieftain

Sumeria plus Scythia has potential to be hilariously dangerous.