[FIXED] Bronze Age Riflemen

There is a problem with this solution: if you keep your army updated (and you generally want to do it) then you will never be able to receive a "weapon upgrade".
I propose a different solution: a single unit can only receive the upgrade ONE time.

I'm saying the upgrade doesn't apply to a unit you Can't have, even though it can still give you a unit you can have.

ie, if you have Bronze Working
Warrior (can build)->Spear (can build) is fine
Spear(can build)->Pike (can't build) is fine

Pike (can't build)->Rifle (can't build) is Not fine

so at best you get middle ages units... you won't get renaissance units unless you are finding ruins in the middle ages... and then it seems fine.

Instead of giving new weapons to unit, the ruin should be giving experience after upgrading to spearman or pikeman.

Has this ever been fixed? I would like to include city ruins in the game, but this just breaks things so I exclude them.

not really a bug, just some sick luck.

probably doesn't happen that often.

personally i never got more then 1 unit upgrade in the same game (not even with 2 different units) so let alone 3 or 4 with the same unit.

i will defenitly try to pick up more ruins with my warrior now tho just to see if i get lucky.

I'm saying the upgrade doesn't apply to a unit you Can't have, even though it can still give you a unit you can have.

so at best you get middle ages units... you won't get renaissance units unless you are finding ruins in the middle ages... and then it seems fine.

IF they are going to fix it (which would be a pity IMHO) then i tink this would be the best solution.

This solution really feels the most elegant to me. The charm of an upgrade by ruins is that you can get a unit that you don't have the technology for yet.

I also had a spearman -> pikeman -> rifleman upgrade this weekend. Unfortunately it was on an island map, so it wasn't quite as useful as it would have been on a pangea map. Otoh, on a pangea map the ruins would have been scooped up earlier.

Now getting a GDR from ruins, that'd be lucky :p

I don't think the cause of this is a bug, because unit upgrades are an intended ruin reward. However, the effect of this feature certainly feels buggy (or at least unwanted).

I've only seen this happen against me once (vanilla), but it's something I exploit (or at least try to exploit) whenever possible.

My suggestion is to limit the upgrade to one level over what you currently have (e.g., a Warrior could upgrade to Spears, but until post-BW, that Spear wouldn't upgrade to anything better.)

In the event a unit cannot upgrade, they should either receive the Morale promotion or +15 XP.

Whether a "bug" or not, it needs to be adjusted. I've seen this happen on more than several occasions in games in which I've included ruins. It is very unbalancing-especially if the human player gets the upgraded unit. All it takes is one rifleman to basically torch the entire planet when you are still in the Bronze Age.

Top Bottom