For the Horde?

Fafnir13

King
"For the Horde" does not seem to fit it's theme. It brings to mind visions of rampaging orcs gathering together under one banner to strike out at the world in a massive battle. Instead, it is the ultimate tool in establishing early diplomacy and exploring the world. Does this seem a little off to anyone else?
"For the Horde" isn't living up to the name or the warlike character of the orcs. One possible replacement would be casting the rough equivalent of a great commander's rally in each city, creating permanent units but without the benefit of free xp from civics or wonders. It would be useful in both early and late game for offense and defense. The exact number of units spawned would probably need tweaking around a bit for good balance. Some minor tech requirement would probably need to be in place to keep them from immediately overwhelming an adjacent Civ.
There are a few advantages to this method. Economically, you would not have a large number of units in the early game outside your borders. They would still be a burden, but a much more manageable one. Under the current world spell, I have to delete most of the gained units to keep my research from plummeting. Strategically, the units would be less scattered and connected to your road system. This would make them immediately useful in any nearby conflicts. Flavor-wise, it would make the orcs a rather frightening neighbor. Anyone can warrior spam, but they could do it just a bit better. This plays in nicely with the barbarian trait nigh requiring early game dominance.
Ultimately, this would be a change needed only for flavor. The world spell is one of the better ones as far as utility goes, but it just doesn't seem to fit the theme of the orcs. In other words, it works but it doesn't work. Anyone else feel the same way? Have a better idea for how to "fix" it?

The user controls how closely the spell fits its theme. If you cast it and then use your new troops to explore, then it would seem out-of-flavor. For full flavor effect I recommend gathering them up, swinging by a Goblin Fort to purchase some fodder, and then attacking someone.

If you're going to do that, then you need all of your Orcs to be in one place. That means that For The Horde will have to magically move all your troops to one location and depending on where that location ends up, you could be in for a really lame casting of your worldspell that just costs you a zillion gold for upkeep and gets you no benefit.

As it is now, you can contact all the neighbors and you can explore all those nifty ruins without worrying about losing "real" units.

I'm a fan of the current spell.

Last time I checked ... you could not explore ruins without losing the Barb trait (or its peace with the Barbs at least)

I think the For the Horde spell should catch the same units, only transport them to your Capital.

Or, instead of capital, the casting unit or city closest to the casting unit? That would allow it to be targeted rather well for a specific invasion. This would be especially useful on archipelago maps where your capital will probably not be on the front lines. It does still have the problem that it will obsolete as fewer and fewer places are left for barbarians to spawn, one of the chief problems I see with the current spell.

Well, the actual spell is godamned usefull as is. I wouldn't like it to be changed to what is proposed here, 'cause moar hordes wouldn't bring much to the clan game. And it does fit the flavor that, thanks to their barb allies, the Clan can know were everyone is.

Well, the actual spell is godamned usefull as is. I wouldn't like it to be changed to what is proposed here, 'cause moar hordes wouldn't bring much to the clan game. And it does fit the flavor that, thanks to their barb allies, the Clan can know were everyone is.

Agreed. I use this spell all the time, usually within the first 10 turns (especially if I have found a lot of gold from goody huts and lairs). It does annoy me when I gain control of a bunch of island barbs but meh.

Yes, very useful. No argument there. The only thing I dislike is that it is very much not being what it advertises. It is random units with exploration and the benefits thereof. It is not amassing a horde of troops and going forth to conquer. That, at least, is what "For the Horde" brings to my mind. Maybe I just want a name change. :p

Island barbs MON ... hang out n chill wit us, ull have good time ya?

You mean WC3 Innuendo :p

I sorta thought, going by the name, that it'd be a bit more like the Chislev Warpath in FF, yeah; Summon units in cities where you have Warrens,w ith more of them coming with bigger cities and more tech, but whatta ya gonna do?

Aargh, WoW innuendo. Kill it! Nuke it til it glows, then shoot it in the dark!

Plz, ignore this post.
Postcount++ ;)

proper treatment of the maniacal, homicidal easter bunny

I sorta thought, going by the name, that it'd be a bit more like the Chislev Warpath in FF, yeah; Summon units in cities where you have Warrens,w ith more of them coming with bigger cities and more tech, but whatta ya gonna do?

Bug the team until they change it. ;)

What if the spell gathered all these barbs and dropped them in your capital instead?

I'd hate to be next to the Clan when they cast their world spell and 15 orcs drop into their capital just as I'm finishing my second warrior.

I would say warfare ... just cause it seems fitting ... could use tweaking I guess, but I like the feel of it :D

i would like it more if the converted units were brought to capital or something. its annoying when you get isolated barbs but on continents its annoying when this civ gets free contact with everyone.

I'd hate to be next to the Clan when they cast their world spell and 15 orcs drop into their capital just as I'm finishing my second warrior.

but this is hard to argue with.

Top Bottom