For the safety of our computers

rcoutme

Emperor
My father has informed me that when he was doing beta testing with TalonSoft, they always sent their games in zipped files. The reasons are:

A zipped file can not get corrupted.

A zipped file that came from a corrupted file will not open.

A zipped file that contains a virus will not get sent.

I recommend that we all zip our files before sending them from now on.

Rob Coutinho

A virus doesn't spread in a .sav extension, only exe files (and some others) are possible threats.

.sav files can get corrupted, but I bet they won't load in civ when they do. And a zipped file with a virus will just as easily be sent as a normal exe with a virus.

Just get yourself good antivirus software and nothing will go wrong.

It's ok. Virus (and trojans, worms etc.) only transmit themselves in several ways:

1 - Executable files (extensions .exe and .com).
2 - ANSI exploits (more common back in the DOS days, which you probably won't see now - usually a trojan).
3 - Batch file (primarily a trojan, but you can view the contents in an editor).
4 - Scripting language. This extends to Visual Basic in email, Word, and a host of Microsoft products. It can also be in other scripting languages too (perl, java, php, python, etc.). Worms and Trojans are common with scripts, and they have to rely on that scripting language to work.

So, don't worry about your save file being infected. ;) The game doesn't read any code that it executes.

Top Bottom