1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

For those of you who are waiting for Civ 5 to be fixed/patched.....

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by hardcore_gamer, Oct 24, 2010.

1. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

How is it shallow? It can't be because of victory conditions since you can win the game without having to wage any wars.

Also, are you calling the core vanilla game shallow or the game with all of the add-ons?

2. Lanstro

Lanstro Prince

The whole package.

You'll see that it compares most easily to Civ IV BTS - similar victory conditions, similar diplomacy, wide tech tree, stacks of doom, etc. Except every facet is just done a little bit worse than BTS.

The military and culture tech tree is littered with bland techs which are basically laser 1-5, bigger lasers 1-5, biggest lasers 1-5, laser defence 1-3, bigger laser defence 1-3, replicated again for the other 2 weapon types. When you combine it with the ship-design aspect of the game it just becomes a micromanagement pain: every 5 turns or so you'll get a (very slightly) better version of your lasers/missiles/defences/hull and you should theoretically upgrade your designs. If you're like me and can't be bothered doing it that often, once every 15 or 20 turns is still a pain. Using the pre-set designs is not an option if you're playing at a high difficulty because they're sub-optimal.

Then when you actually get to the combat, it's much shallower than civ IV's. There's no terrain bonuses, no collateral damage and no concept of ground/navy/air. Levelling your ships just gets them slightly improved stats rather than specific promotions like BTS. The tactical depth is almost non-existent.

Cultural victories are done much worse than BTS. A typical cultural victory is done by pumping out cultural space stations and upgrading them. It's not about racing to build the key wonders and acquiring religions while keeping everyone happy so you don't get dogpiled - in GalCivII it's about pumping out dozens if not hundreds of little constructor ships which you have to micromanage to all corners of the universe to build cultural centers.

I won't go on with how overrated the AIs are or how bland the other victory conditions are. You'll see.

3. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

Agree with the OP. I've been playing GC2 non-stop since I got it a week ago. Between this and EU3 I will busy for a while. :)

4. charon2112

charon2112 King

If you really believe all that, then there's no convincing you otherwise, and you lost me with that comment on tactics. GC2 is a 4X game, ideally tactics aren't a part of the game at all. I will say this: GC2 is one of the best 4X games out there.

5. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Those screen shots of Galactic Civilization is the biggest turn off I have ever seen here. While it may be a good game to play, the context is so unappealing to me. There are many who like that sci-fi stuff??? I would rather play a bad historical-based game than a good sci-fi one. Ugh.
    So there.

6. Biz_

Biz_ Prince

it's actually more like civ3 in space

7. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

Im playing FO3:NV Mostly .. as of today I'm am shelving CiV until a SERIOUS AI patch is made. Hell I'd roll back the last patch if I could.

Rat

8. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

Yes, there are in fact a considerable amount of people who like those silly things such as spaceships and aliens :splat:

Are you telling me you weren't aware of this? :shake:

9. Sahkuhnder

Sahkuhnder Delusions of grandeur

GalCiv2 is a great game and being able to choose to design your own ships it can actually be more in-depth than Civ4 is.

Lots of fun. :)

10. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I liked Gal Civ II for a little bit but then it grew....stale. Pretty fast. If people think the early game of Civ5 on marathon is slow and tedious, the slowest speed on Gal Civ is even worst. I mean, its impossible to even wage war without a tech that takes usually 60 turns to research. Meanwhile, researcher new weapons don't feel so awesome. Going from Lasers I to Lasers II is like going from Spearmen to men with slightly longer spears.

And there are no real tactics. It's literally about smashing someone to pieces. Planetary invasions aren't really fun.

To be fair, the difference between Lasers and the next weapon above lasers is nice but the difference is negible when you're doing the _____ I, _______ II, ______ III thing. And customizing ships is fun.

11. charon2112

charon2112 King

That's totally a personal preference. If you really hate sci-fi, then I'd steer clear.

And again, @Sonereal...there aren't supposed to be any tactics, it's a 4X game.

12. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

But then again, you can set the research and game speed at the beginning I believe. It should also be noted that one possible reason for why research speed is slow on some settings is that when playing on the immense galaxy size a game can take well over a month of more to finish so it would not really be fun if you researched all of the techs very quickly.

This is actually a good thing in my opinion since it means every Civ has some time to set up their civ for a short while before anyone can attack planets. It prevents cheap Zurge/rushed tactics in the early game.

Saying that "there aren't any tactics" would probably not be very fair. The game is about forging and managing a intergalactic empire, its not a war game and thus warfare doesn't have large amounts of depth. Though it should be pointed out that the player is given more detailed options about what to do in regards to warfare once new warfare techs are researched.

13. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Fair. I really wouldn't mind if there weren't so many redundant techs.

The problem is that the distances we're talking about are huge.

I like the ship customization. Given the scope of the game, I guess not having tactics isn't a big thing anyway.

Maybe I should load up the game and its expansion. If I remember correctly, vanilla GCII on the largest map was a micromanagement hell and Twilight fixed a lot of those problems.

The random events in the expansion were awesome too.

I would probably get GCIII if one ever gets made since GCII did have a lot of things I like that I wouldn't mind seeing in Civilization (customized units).

14. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

You are you talking about the distance between techs or the distance between planets?

15. charon2112

charon2112 King

I agree with you, that's what I was trying to get across.

16. charon2112

charon2112 King

They can be, but that's totally up to the player. You can create a tiny galaxy with nine races if you want, all crowded in. The set up options are awesome.

My fear for GCIII is that it will just be Elemental in space (since they're using the Elemental engine).

17. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

Galactic Civ 3 is being made? :confused:

This is news to me!

18. charon2112

charon2112 King

No! not yet. But Brad said it would use the Elemental engine.

19. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

After googling "elemental engine" into google image all I got mostly images of first person shooters. How can such a engine be used for a game like Gal Civ 3? :confused:

Also, I read that Gal Civ 3 will feature tactical battles instead of forcing the player to auto-resolve every battle. I hope the franchise won't try to copy the Total War franchise and thus risk losing what is great about Gal Civ 2. :(

20. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Elemental is a game that Stardock recently released. See here. They developed the game's engine in-house (similar to how Firaxis developed the engine for Civ5). Elemental is not yet recommendable though; in a move that left many fans rather shocked, Stardock released the game in an utterly broken condition. They are committed to fix it, but it will take a while.

Imho, if anything, they are copying the tactical battles from Master of Orion and Master of Magic, the games that heavily influenced the design of GalCiv and Elemental. I never played Total War though so I can't comment on similarities or differences to their system.