For those of you who are waiting for Civ 5 to be fixed/patched.....

I would have posted this in the "general discussion/off-topic" portion of this site's forum if it actually had one, but since it doesn't appear to do so I will just have to post this here. I hope I am not braking any rules. :scared:

Anyways, if you are like me and don't want to play Civ 5 until it has been patched more and perhaps been upgraded with an expansion pack or two, but are still dying to play some kind of a empire management game then you might want to consider doing what I did and invest some money into the complete edition of Galactic Civilization 2 which is basically just a slightly more complex version of Civ 4 but in space.

I bought the game earlier today and the level of customization is amazing, as is the AI.

For those who want to learn a little bit more about the game and why it is so good, here is the gamespot review for it. Note that the Ultimate edition includes 2 expansions and the reviewer is only reviewing the vanilla game (though there are also 2 separate reviews for the expansions as well for those willing to read those).

A few screenshots:

A noteworthy feature is the ability to create your own alien races and even give them their own personality if it is controlled by the AI. That coupled with some simple modding has resulted is stuff like this:

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyways, I really hope that this kind of thread isn't braking the forum rules, the point of this thread isn't to tell everyone to stop playing Civ 5, but merely to point out that there is another really good "Civ like" game out there (and before people ask, yes it is also turn based) and that people might want to consider checking it out while Firaxis addresses most of the major issues with Civ 5. I mean you will have to wait anyways regardless of what you want to do, so what do you have to loose? ;)

Its also worth mentioning that the game has almost literally no copy protection, so you don't have to deal with any annoying DRM/STEAM or anything of that sort. In fact you don't even need the CD key unless you want to download updates/patches.

Anyone else planning on having a bit of fun with GC 2 while we wait for Civ 5 to be patched/upgraded?

Discuss!

It may have the gameplay, but without the historical flavor: meh. That's why love Civ so much: the combo of historical flavor and turn-based play.

Agree 1000% !! Great game. :goodjob:

I would have posted this in the "general discussion/off-topic" portion of this site's forum if it actually had one, but since it doesn't appear to do so I will just have to post this here. I hope I am not braking any rules. :scared:

Anyways, if you are like me and don't want to play Civ 5 until it has been patched more and perhaps been upgraded with an expansion pack or two, but are still dying to play some kind of a empire management game then you might want to consider doing what I did and invest some money into the complete edition of Galactic Civilization 2 which is basically just a slightly more complex version of Civ 4 but in space.

I bought the game earlier today and the level of customization is amazing, as is the AI.

For those who want to learn a little bit more about the game and why it is so good, here is the gamespot review for it. Note that the Ultimate edition includes 2 expansions and the reviewer is only reviewing the vanilla game (though there are also 2 separate reviews for the expansions as well for those willing to read those).

A few screenshots:

A noteworthy feature is the ability to create your own alien races and even give them their own personality if it is controlled by the AI. That coupled with some simple modding has resulted is stuff like this:

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyways, I really hope that this kind of thread isn't braking the forum rules, the point of this thread isn't to tell everyone to stop playing Civ 5, but merely to point out that there is another really good "Civ like" game out there (and before people ask, yes it is also turn based) and that people might want to consider checking it out while Firaxis addresses most of the major issues with Civ 5. I mean you will have to wait anyways regardless of what you want to do, so what do you have to loose? ;)

Its also worth mentioning that the game has almost literally no copy protection, so you don't have to deal with any annoying DRM/STEAM or anything of that sort. In fact you don't even need the CD key unless you want to download updates/patches.

Anyone else planning on having a bit of fun with GC 2 while we wait for Civ 5 to be patched/upgraded?

Discuss!

GC2 is a great, complex game with a challenging AI. Saying that it's "more complex" than Civ4 is stretching it though. While the "design your ships" element does indeed add a new layer of complexity, empire management is far simpler than in Civ4, and terrain doesn't exist at all (well, maybe in an extremely rudimentary sense). But I whole-heartedly recommend GC2 to anyone who likes 4x games. :)

Galciv is fine and dandy, it's a decent game.

I think I'd rather play EU3 though, if I wernt so damned hooked on League of Legends that is! Do NOT pick that game up, so addictive.

:confused:

:blush:

So that is what its called :( The forum should simply have been called the "off-topic forum/free discussion". The word Colosseum just doesn't give me the impression of a off-topic/free discussion styled forum.

Saying that it's "more complex" than Civ4 is stretching it though.

I said mildly more complex, because of things like the ship designer and the larger tech tree.

Stack of doom for the lose. Otherwise, I absolutely love Galciv2. Is there a mod for that?

You can't stack units into a massive stack of doom, or at least not right away since you can only put a limited number of units into each fleet until you research new techs that allow more units to be put into the same fleet.

I said mildly more complex, because of things like the ship designer and the larger tech tree.

I'd argue that the tech tree is actually just larger (not more complex) due to the many strings of technologies which just repeat the same bonus (+10 diplomacy, +10 diplomacy, +10 diplomacy ...) under a different name. But heck, that's minute details, and I totally agree with you that the game is great and complex. :)

?

you should be on the galactic board for jr's or whatever

this is a general discussion board of the game Civilization 5

civilization 5 is a game you can buy that has different civilizations and stuff

I love Galciv2 too!

I'd argue that the tech tree is actually just larger (not more complex) due to the many strings of technologies which just repeat the same bonus (+10 diplomacy, +10 diplomacy, +10 diplomacy ...) under a different name. But heck, that's minute details, and I totally agree with you that the game is great and complex. :)

The tech tree is even more awesome because it's different for each race, with custom techs.

Decent for 50-100 hours, then you'll realise it's quite a shallow game as well.

You can't stack units into a massive stack of doom, or at least not right away since you can only put a limited number of units into each fleet until you research new techs that allow more units to be put into the same fleet.

Galciv 2 has "unit of doom" instead I'd say.

Top Bottom