for when, the earth map scenario?

Jim Bro

Emperor of Quebec
hi, does someone know when are we gonna finally be able to play on a earth map scenario. it's been too long and i can't believe they haven't released it. and no, i don't want to download a mod nor getting into the map editor.

If there will ever be an official one, I doubt it, there never has been for no civ that I know of.
Either localised maps (like "the cradle of civilization"-maps), or scenario's.

And as far as I know that has always been the case.

But what's wrong with downloading a custom made maps? There are true gems there! :)
Have a look in the mods, especially maps with "TLS" (True start locations).

A lot of the tsl only do huge sized or are only true start location and have resources as random I think he like me wishes for something with tsl and set ressies like in civ4 though I'd also like it with any size as well as ny CPU can't handle the 2 largest maps in the late game.

first of all, i have a mac and for some unknown reasons, i can't download mods (not that i'm really fond of them anyways but..)

second of all, there was a earth scenario in civ4 that worked just fine. in civ5, nothing.

finally, the earth map mod in civ5 doesn't even include historical starting locations, which make it pointless.

why don't people push more for that? i don't care about the mods. i want this scenario in not some random polynesian or mongolian stuff.

The problem with Civ5 earth maps lies directly under the engine's hood; Europe is almost always too small -> most european powers can only have ~1-2 cities & can't launch any sort of land invasion (1UPT). Plus that Civ5 is mostly cranky on the huge maps that would be required by such of an earth map.
And, well, the base game doesn't even have all the important civilizations; for example, having a modern day Europe w/out Spain &/or Denmark wouldn't make much sense, and the devs can't just make multiple maps for both those who have and those who don't have DLC.

Also, some civs'd have a start location that would not bias theme towards their UA/UB/UU/UI - for example, there's little to no lakes on central america for the aztecs to use with their floating gardens.

Thus, designing an earth map that is entirely playable with these systems (4 hex min distance between cities, 1UPT) is hard, and that is why we are left with the opportunity to create our own maps for our liking.

The problem with Civ5 earth maps lies directly under the engine's hood; Europe is almost always too small -> most european powers can only have ~1-2 cities & can't launch any sort of land invasion (1UPT). Plus that Civ5 is mostly cranky on the huge maps that would be required by such of an earth map.
And, well, the base game doesn't even have all the important civilizations; for example, having a modern day Europe w/out Spain &/or Denmark wouldn't make much sense, and the devs can't just make multiple maps for both those who have and those who don't have DLC.

Also, some civs'd have a start location that would not bias theme towards their UA/UB/UU/UI - for example, there's little to no lakes on central america for the aztecs to use with their floating gardens.

Thus, designing an earth map that is entirely playable with these systems (4 hex min distance between cities, 1UPT) is hard, and that is why we are left with the opportunity to create our own maps for our liking.

that's right ok thx

I think the most successful earth maps available via mods go out of their way to artificially enlarge Europe, Great Britain included.

first of all, i have a mac and for some unknown reasons, i can't download mods (not that i'm really fond of them anyways but..)
That's nasty. You also can't install mods/maps manually?
Because there is a fine Earth map here and complete Earth map pack here :)
second of all, there was a earth scenario in civ4 that worked just fine. in civ5, nothing.
Oh sorry, okay, I missed that one.
My Civ4 game (which includes all expansions) doesn't have an Earth map.
Or do you mean Rhye's and Fall of Civilization which came with Beyond The Sword?
Although, that too is just another mod.
finally, the earth map mod in civ5 doesn't even include historical starting locations, which make it pointless.
Have you looked at it at all?

why don't people push more for that?
Because there already are great Earth maps around? Why push for something that's already there? ;)

[...]why don't people push more for that? i don't care about the mods. i want this scenario in not some random polynesian or mongolian stuff.

Perhaps other people don't care as much for it as you do? Perhaps people like that random polynesian and mongolian stuff?

That's nasty. You also can't install mods/maps manually?
Because there is a fine Earth map here and complete Earth map pack here :)
Oh sorry, okay, I missed that one.
My Civ4 game (which includes all expansions) doesn't have an Earth map.
Or do you mean Rhye's and Fall of Civilization which came with Beyond The Sword?
Although, that too is just another mod.
Have you looked at it at all?

Because there already are great Earth maps around? Why push for something that's already there? ;)
You say there are great earth maps around yet very few are tsl AND with good resource placement (some are excessive others just rubbish) and they are all huge or second largest map which some people me included don't have a computer capable of handling them if you can recommend me a earth map with resources that is the 3rd largest map size I would be very grateful (I can place civs and their tsl myself) yet from what I have seen there isn't one :/
And I know Noone would make this map just for me but I wish there was one :/ and civ4 did have earth a nine civ one and an 18 civ one under scenarios
Edit; I shall look at the links you provided and if they work well then I thank you kind sir

You say there are great earth maps around yet very few are tsl AND with good resource placement (some are excessive others just rubbish) and they are all huge or second largest map which some people me included don't have a computer capable of handling them if you can recommend me a earth map with resources that is the 3rd largest map size I would be very grateful (I can place civs and their tsl myself) yet from what I have seen there isn't one :/
And I know Noone would make this map just for me but I wish there was one :/ and civ4 did have earth a nine civ one and an 18 civ one under scenarios
Edit; I shall look at the links you provided and if they work well then I thank you kind sir

Yet Another Earth Maps Pack has a standard-size Earth map with TSL locations. It's layed out differently than your run-of-the-mill Earth map, but its there. I think that the reason why there aren't many standard size ones is because European civs would be crammed together so tight that there would be wars erupting everytime someone buyed a tile.

Yet Another Earth Maps Pack has a standard-size Earth map with TSL locations. It's layed out differently than your run-of-the-mill Earth map, but its there. I think that the reason why there aren't many standard size ones is because European civs would be crammed together so tight that there would be wars erupting everytime someone buyed a tile.

hang on i think i remember downloading the yet another earth map pack but i couldnt actually use it for some reason it wouldnt turn up when i tried to play a game (neither mods--->singleplayer or normal single player like half the maps i download :\ i dont know why either :( do those maps also have resources set out? if so im gonna be doubley unhappy about this

Top Bottom