forbidden city placement

bryanwallace

Prince
sorry for another basic post-but where should i be placing my forbidden city in relation to the capital??
im finding it add to understand articles onthis ihave found

Anywhere. In complete, Forbidden Palace no longer gives you a 2nd core.

Rule of thumb, build it sooner than later, usually in the direction you want to expand in.

I like to build mine in the captured capital of the neighbour Civ i conquer, and I usually have to conquer at least one civ in most of my games.

That town will have less corruption and you get an increased OCN. That lower corruption a bit for the empire.

generally, I place it in the 2nd ring of cities.

There are two types of corruption in Civ III, and they add together. There is distance corruption (how far a city is from the palace or the forbidden palace) and rank corruption (how many cities are closer to the capital than the city being looked at)

If you put the forbidden palace a long way from your capital, you will reduce distance corruption in the cities right near by, but it's likely not to matter, because there will be a lot of cities closer to the regular palace, so the rank corruption will be ruinous. But if you put it relatively close to the palace, the cities right near it will get a little bump.

Most important is having it, though. Rank corruption has what I call a tipping point. Cities founded with a higher rank than that tipping point will have ruinous corruption. The FP raises that tipping point considerably.

thanks-on a slight tangent-is it a waste to have your cap as your settler farm??
i end up having this as i always try to get settlers out early doors

no its not a waste. having your capital producing settlers instead of wonders is needed as your work your way up the difficulty ladder or you will be at a great disadvantage in terms of territory if all your high production cities are bogged down making improvements too early.

there's a caveat. if you're hemmed in with a close neighbour, i may choose to go in an early war, the famed archer rush strategy. in that case, I may switch my capital to produce archers in between settlers.

The archer rush doesn't work as well if the AI starts with a massive bonus however. it works best in emperor and below.

I try to build my FP in a high production city with a river. Once you build a courthouse and a police station the FP city has 0 corruption.

I try to build my FP in a high production city with a river. Once you build a courthouse and a police station the FP city has 0 corruption.

Yeah, I try to do the same thing - especially if that city is distant from the palace and has the potential to be a powerhouse (ie - food source, river, hills, gold, resources).

Top Bottom