[Vanilla] Formula Thread

Based on this thread and a district cost thread on Reddit, I think I have worked out the COST_PROGRESSION_GAME_PROGRESS formula. It looks like it is essentially the same as the district cost formula, but with a variable scale and no below-average discount. The value is the fraction of techs or civics complete (whichever is more), expressed as a whole number percentage.

techProgress = # techs / 68
civicProgress = # civics / 51
progress = math.floor(100 * math.max(techProgress, civicProgress))​

The maximum cost is based on the PointProgressionParam1 value, which is a percentage of base cost:

maxCost = baseCost * param / 100​

The total cost is then a linear interpolation from base to maximum cost (rounded down):

cost = lerp(baseCost, maxCost, progress / 100)​

Damn, was that always the case? I was thinking COST_PROGRESSION_GAME_PROGRESS would make things more expensive every turn, instead of punishing me for my own research progress.
Is there even any cost progression mode that ignores my own research/civics ?

Yes, my bad, let me rephrase: What I wanted was a cost progresssion model that just looks at the number of turns that have passed since the start, compares it to the maximum number of turns (500 for a normal game iirc) and applies additional cost based of that fraction.I was sure the game progress model did that, maybe that changed over the last 2 years when I wasn't playing or otherwise paying attention?

I am well aware of the things that scale by the number of copies you (or in the case of great people: everyone) already built, that was not what I meant.

that just looks at the number of turns
None I can think of. To be fair such a progression punishes the slow player and benefits the fast.
The civ/tech progression may be disliked by many but has some very eloquent subtleties.
... ah era is based on turn progression to a degree. Min40, max 60 turns till next era.
Great people feed off this? And this is why great people are so hard to use in fast victories.
Works Congress is also era bound and 30 turns between meets is also disliked by fast players.

I know you are not after these but as I said, the old mechanic is... old and poor in its way. The new is anti snowball.

Last edited:
There's nothing "new" about this, since districts always used COST_PROGRESSION_NUM_UNDER_AVG_PLUS_TECH. I just found that stupid and I believe I managed to disable that by modding it to COST_PROGRESSION_GAME_PROGRESS. If that one works almost the same way now, how else can I do cost progression? I kinda dislike the scaling by number of previously built things too, even if I can accept it for settlers and great people.
Eras are still based on tech/civics I believe?

Anti-snowballing should be done by bonuses to weak players, if at all, not by punishing progress. Imnsho.

Resource/feature harvest formula is a little inprecise and has been tested to be =FLOOR(20*(1+9*FLOOR(100*MAX(discovered_techs/Total_techs,Discovered_civics/Total Civics),1)/100),1)
In the current version this includes future techs (total 77) and Civics (total 61)

Anyone know a link/article for formula for starting a dark age, R&F
Dark/Normal Age Threshold = (Current Era Points) + (DARK_AGE_SCORE_BASE_THRESHOLD) + (Number Of Cities When Era Begins) +(-) ((THRESHOLD_SHIFT_PER_PAST_DARK_AGE) * (Number Of Dark Ages Entered Previously)) + ((THRESHOLD_SHIFT_PER_PAST_GOLDEN_AGE) * (Number Of Golden Ages Entered Previously)) +(-) EraScoreThreshold Shift)

Top Bottom